Did you (or your relative) file yourself or did you use an attorney?

Did you use an attorney for your petition?

• Yes, I used an attorney

Votes: 13 31.0%
  • No, I didn't use and attorney

Votes: 29 69.0%

• Total voters
Guys,

No attorney here.... if you are one, why use another one? ... :rolleyes: Filing immigration forms is very simple, especially if u went to college and can read and write....:p Immigration lawyers should be for people who have committed crimes of moral turpitude...not to complete the forms... :eek:

My thinking was, This is one of the few important decisions in our lifetime [marriage, job, finance etc] everything is at stake, why take a chance over a few bucks and regret it later. Ideally everything should go smooth but again you never know. just my .02 cents

I prepared and filed all AOS forms myself. However, I did verify all my work with an immigration attorney through my family legal insurance plan - www.lxxxxxxxns.info for those of you who want to check it out. Most importantly, the cost was negligible for the extra assurance I got. So far everything is going well with my aplication process and I have already received the EAD and AP documents. I hope to get the GC very soon.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes. We ended up with a worthless one whom completely botched a J2 waiver to the point we were considering sending my wife back fro 2 years. Luckily i found an outstanding attorney (whom the first knew) who fixed the problem in a matter of weeks. Always listen to your nagging voice that something is wrong!!

myself. I am smart enough to fill several basic forms myself, send them to the correct address and attach checks for amounts required. Also, did a J-1 waiver myself. Took a lot less time than waivers for my friends from the same program who used lawyers who didn't know much about the waivers, but really wanted to cash in on them.

All by ourselves...read several times the forms, instructions, re-read again. No problems at all. The only problem actually I had was the medical and was NOT in our control and even a lawyer couldn't avoid that and we resolved it ourselves too.