did anybody get TD visa outside US/Canada?

linux

did anybody get TD visa outside US/Canada?
I am working on TN in US. I got married this September in China. This is the first marriage for me and my wife. My wife applied TD visa in US consulate in Chengdu and was declined three times. The first time my wife didn’t provide enough documents(we don’t have experience on this, she just showed my TN photocopy and our official marriage certificate and some forms from US consulate website ); and the second time the interview officer said my wife has immigration tendency; and the third time the interview officer was probably not convinced that our marriage is legitimate though my wife showed our official marriage certificate, wedding ceremony pictures, our 3 years consecutive phone records and some emails 3 years ago and some old pictures.
I am despairing. I am going to sponsor her to immigrate to Canada but this will take months and there will be another problem because I live outside Canada. I can’t provide proof of my intention to re-establish in Canada, this will cause my sponsor application to be refused.

How can my wife get her TD visa? Should she try one more time with my new 3-year TN (I will renew my TN at the end of this year probably Jan 1)? Or any other way? Is it possible for me to get her a TD visa when I renew my TN at POE?
Any help , suggestions please? Thanks!

She needs to overcome the Consulates objection(s), otherwise going to another Consulate is not going to help you.

Applying for Cdn status simply to get TD visa is rather long-winded. She could simply try to go to canada, on tourist visa, and then get an appointment at a US consulate there, but she still needs to overcome the objections raise in Chengdu. However, I don't know what more you can do, the photocopy of your I_94 and your marrigae certificate should have been sufficient in the first place.

She MUST get a visa, since she is not Cdn, she is not entitled to enter US on TD without one.

My wife got her TD visa about two months ago. She's also from China. She applied for a TD visa in Beijing in January this year and was issued a B2 visa for unknown reason. She came to US on B2 and then applied for a TD visa at US Consulate in Vancouver, BC later this year. I filed for my wife's Canadian immigration application while she was in US on B2 and waited for about less than 3 months for her to get her Canadian immigration visa approved. This is also the first marriage for both of us. It is a lot easier if you get Canadian landed immigrant status before you apply for TD visa in Canada. My wife got her Canadian landed immigrant status in May and got her TD visa in Vancouver in October without any problem. The visa interview took about a minute and they told her to pick up her visa the next business day. The Canadian immigration process only took us less than three months and we got it while I am working here in US on TN. Since TN is considered temporary, you can just tell the Canadian immigration official that you and your wife will return back to Canada after your TN expires. The only advantage we had is we actually got married in Canada when my wife flew to Canada from China on a business trip. So the moral of the story: File for Canadian immigration. Provide some evidence that you'll come back to Canada (a photocopy of my TN is what I used). Apply for TD visa in Canada after your wife lands in Canada. Hope this helps.

Only problerm is, that if the Consulate in china is saying that she has demonstrated immig intent, she is not eligible for B2 either. they don't seem very willing to let her into US period.

Thanks nelsona, jiankai_yu.
I am thinking I should try do to two things at the same time: (1) sponsor her to immigrate to canada; and (2) continue trying to get B2 visa at Us consulate in China.

jiankai_yu, i left a private message for you about immigration. I don't want to waste this forum spaces since there is not a immigrate forum. please check your msg box. Thanks.

Only problerm is, that if the Consulate in china is saying that she has demonstrated immig intent, she is not eligible for B2 either. they don't seem very willing to let her into US period.

If she becomes a landed immigrant of Canada, US immigration will have no problem letting her in on TD. The CBP officer told my wife that when she entered US on B2. So, apply for Canadian immigration now.

The US consulate in China thinks almost everyone who applies for US non-immigrant visa has immigrant intent. It is extremly difficult to get a visa to come to US from China. The reason my wife got hers without problem is because she had been to US from China for business numerous times in the past. Canadian permanent resident status is a perfect evidence to prove the non-immigrant intent. God bless Canada.

Last edited by a moderator:
Yes, but our poster seems to (correctly) want his wife to move her now. Without a US visa (she doesn't have a B2 like your spouse did) she will have to wait for her Cdn process to be completed.

The fact that your spouse had a b2 make a big difference == our poster does not.

Yes, but our poster seems to (correctly) want his wife to move her now. Without a US visa (she doesn't have a B2 like your spouse did) she will have to wait for her Cdn process to be completed.

The fact that your spouse had a b2 make a big difference == our poster does not.

I agree with you which is why I recommended the poster to file for Canadian immigration ASAP. If things go well, she can get it within a couple of months. This is better than wasting time and money to keep trying at US consulate in China and keep getting denied. She's already been there 3 times at $131 each time. Unless she brings evidence that's convincing enough, it'll be difficult for her come to US.

Another problem with getting a TD visa in China is that US consulars in China do not deal with TD cases very often. A lot of them are unfamiliar with such type of visa. They may not understand the nature of TD is different from B2. For a B2, her tie is at her home country whereas for TD, her tie is her husband. In my wife's case, she applied for a TD visa but was issued a B2 which clearly shows the US consular's unfamilarity with TD.

Bascially what I'm recommending to the poster is to go with plan B. Immigrate to Canada first, and then come down to US from Canada.

I agree with you which is why I recommended the poster to file for Canadian immigration ASAP. If things go well, she can get it within a couple of months. This is better than wasting time and money to keep trying at US consulate in China and keep getting denied. She's already been there 3 times at $131 each time. Unless she brings evidence that's convincing enough, it'll be difficult for her come to US.

Good point, if indeed it only takes so short a period, then definitely, plan B is the way to go.

The only thing is that if they have so much trouble doing a simple thing as getting a B2 visa, will they be able to file for Cdn PR correctly? cdn officials can't perform miracles in the face of a poorly prepared/documented applicant any more than US officals can.

That's for another board.

Thank you, nelsona and Jiankai_yu. Yes we are preparing the immigration application. As a matter of fact, we were well-prepared for getting TD visa. Like JianKai_yue said, the US consulars in China (also in other countries I think) do not deal with TD cases very often; they are unfamiliar with such type of visa.
If it just takes couple of months it’s better for us to file for Canadian immigration first. We don’t expect cdn officials perform miracles but we will have every document finely prepared before submitting the application.