Detroit MI - N-400 Timeline

What is DMV?

I had a few driving tickets before. But I dont keep any copy or record with me. My interview will be soon. Will the drive be a problem for my interview?

Thanks.

Self and Spouse

applied in Detroit

Work Sponsored Green Card 1/31/2005

12/ 7/2009 Mailed to PHX
12/9/2009 Checks cashed
12/10/2009 PD
01/11/2010 FP notice received for 01/27/2010
01/20/2010 Yellow letter received to bring Driver License to interview
01/27/2010 FP done
02/09/2010 Interview Letter received
03/17/2010 Interview Date
02/13/2010 Email Notice case transefered to local office
03/17/2010 Passed Interview
03/26/2010 Oath Date

I have had 6 traffic tickets over the last 11 years but I answered "No" to Q16. I did not know if traffic tickets counted. I mentioned it during the interview and the officer changed my answer to "yes" and asked to see any records that I had. I provided DMV records and certified disposition letters for the last 10 years. Anything beyond that was not on record at the courts or the DMV. He attached them to my applicatoion.

My wife provided similar records although she only had one traffic ticket. I also had tax transcripts for the last 5 tax years just in case. The officer did not ask for them. We both had interviews with the same officer right after each other. Both went smoothly, we both passed and were provided notices for the next Oath date (March 26) about 30 mins after the interview.
Best of luck to all those still going through the process.

DMV (Department of Motor Vehicle) a.k.a. Secretary of State here in Michigan. You can ask them for a driving record and take it with you to the interview. I think I paid just $7 for that and I got it on the spot. The correct answer to question 16 should be "Yes" if you have had any traffic citations even if they did not involve points or fines>$500. The N-400 instructions are not very clear on that. So it is a good idea to go well prepared, the driving record should show nothing outstanding if you have paid all your tickets. I had obtained certified disposition letters from the city courts where I got all the tickets ($10-$17 each and may take a couple of weeks if you have to do it though mail). I listed all the tickets that I had, the violation type, the date, the location, and the status of the case (i.e. dismissed, closed, paid in full, ect..). At the interview, I told the officer about the tickets and he changed my answer from "No" to "Yes" and then I gave him the listing of the tickets and attached all the letters to it. He did not look through it but attached it to my application and placed it back in my file. Some people suggest that if the tickets are < $500, then you do not need to show documentation (which agrees with my interpretation of the N-400 instructions). I just wanted to be on the safe side and I did not want to delay the process at all.

RH1,

Thank you very much for answering my question. It seems not too difficult to get driving record from SOS. If I get the driving record from Secretary of State, do I still need to get disposition letters from courts? It is quite some trouble to go back to collect all the tickets from different places/courts. Just wonder how necessary it is. (I guess I am really not a good book-keeping person.O^O)

Thanks again.

DMV (Department of Motor Vehicle) a.k.a. Secretary of State here in Michigan. You can ask them for a driving record and take it with you to the interview. I think I paid just $7 for that and I got it on the spot. The correct answer to question 16 should be "Yes" if you have had any traffic citations even if they did not involve points or fines>$500. The N-400 instructions are not very clear on that. So it is a good idea to go well prepared, the driving record should show nothing outstanding if you have paid all your tickets. I had obtained certified disposition letters from the city courts where I got all the tickets ($10-$17 each and may take a couple of weeks if you have to do it though mail). I listed all the tickets that I had, the violation type, the date, the location, and the status of the case (i.e. dismissed, closed, paid in full, ect..). At the interview, I told the officer about the tickets and he changed my answer from "No" to "Yes" and then I gave him the listing of the tickets and attached all the letters to it. He did not look through it but attached it to my application and placed it back in my file. Some people suggest that if the tickets are < $500, then you do not need to show documentation (which agrees with my interpretation of the N-400 instructions). I just wanted to be on the safe side and I did not want to delay the process at all.

Michigander,
I can not really advise you on that. Based on my limited knowledge, the only official way to prove that you have paid your tickets is to get disposition letters from the courts. Whether you will be asked for them or not is another issue. I had researched several forums on this topic, and it looks like different people have had different experiences during the interview. In my case, the officer did not ask for disposition letters but I told him that I had the letters and he took them but did not even bother to look at them.

0: 3/12/10 N-400 Mailed to Phoenix, AR
3: 3/15/10 Received Date
13: 3/25/10 Check Cashed
18: 3/30 /10 Notice of Action Received (3/24/10 PD, 3/25/10 ND)
xx: x/xx/10 Fingerprint Notice Received
xx: x/xx/10 FP Walk-in (scheduled x/xx/10)
xx: x/xx/10 Case File Review/Yellow Letter Received
xx: x/xx/10 Case Transferred to Local Office
xxx: x/xx/10 Interview Letter Received
xxx: x/xx/10 Interview Date

Passed Interview today at Detriot DO!!

It took around 15 minutes to get the process completed. Questions were asked from the book. After approving my case, IO asked me if I can wait 5 minutes for Oath letter and Oath Date. I had no problem with that. My Oath is on the morning of 4-5-10.

Good Luck to all of you!

Dear

12/16/09 - Application Mailed (Phoenix-AZ)
12/17/09 - Application Arrived at USCIS (Phoenix-AZ)
12/21/09 - Notice Date
12/21/09 - Priority Date
12/22/09 - Check Cashed
12/26/09 - NOA received
01/16/10 - Yellow letter for wife only (Bring DL). No yellow letter for me.
01/19/10 - FP Letter received
02/03/10 - FP Date
02/24/10 - IL
03/31/10 - ID
03/31/10- OL
04/05/10- OD

Best day and time for walk-in FP

went today to Detroit office for early walk-in FP but sent back .. the lady said "we are short on staff today" ... which day and time are best for walk-in FP in Detroit?

went today to Detroit office for early walk-in FP but sent back .. the lady said "we are short on staff today" ... which day and time are best for walk-in FP in Detroit?

I also went today for early Walk in FP to Detroit office and the lady said the same for me.

LPR since 06/14/2005

DO: Detroit, MI
03/15/2010: N400 Mailed Phoenix, AZ(Self and Wife)
03/16/2010: N400 Received Per USPS (EXPRESS)
03/26/2010: Checks cashed
04/01/2010: NOA received
04/03/2010: Email received RFE sent 04/01/2010
04/05/2010: FP notice received( scheduled for 04/29/2010)
xx/xx/2010: FP Done
xx/xx/2010: ID
xx/xx/2010: OD

When I went it was a Thursday @ 1-2PM, but they were reluctant to do it (be prepared with a valid reason for going early). They said that others were ahead of me (they were there at their scheduled day and time) and that I had to wait until they were processed. Fortunately there were only around 10 people, and I was out in 20 minutes.

Last edited by a moderator:
Guys,

I went today and I was turned back. I was told to come back on the appointment day and time. I would suggest others not to get carried away and just go on the day/time of the appointment.

Save time and gas.. :)

Hard lesson learnt..

we went at the scheduled time on 4/9... were in and out in ten minutes. they were waiting for people to show up.

DO: Detroit
02/12/2010: N-400 Mailed
03/02/2010: Check Cashed
03/17/2010: FP Notice for 4/12
04/12/2010: FP done
04/21/2010: IL recieved ( for 05/26/2010)
05/26/2010: Interview
06/03/2010: Oath
PP: Applied

Last edited by a moderator:
Oath at Detroit

Does anyone know how long does it take to complete the oath ceremony in Detroit (Location:International Institute). My oath ceremony date and time is April 30 at 9:00AM but I have an exam at 10:30 at Wayne State university which is 5 mins away. I want to know if I have enough time to take the test which is a final exam after the oath ceremony. Thanks in advance.

Where are Detroit filers?!!!

Does anyone know if Detroit DO has same day oath?

I and my wife went for interview today and got oath date for next Thursday, June 10 at US Federal Court in Detroit. All people that I saw being interviewed there were being given the same date/ time and location. That being said interview process was pretty straightforward, it took less than 10 minutes, and the IO seemed to be in a rush as we were in the last time slot for the day.

I didnt see anybody getting sameday Oath, but most of the people got the oath letter after the interview.
That's correct. We had our interview on 6/2 and got the oath letter right after it. Its scheduled for tomorrow at the Federal Court house in Detroit.

Early Walk in for FP ?

Can you please post your experiences on EARLY WALK IN for Finger printing at Detriot ASC ( 11411 East Jefferson Ave, Detroit, MI 48214).

I can't take off from work on my appointment date. Are the personnel friendly enough to let me take FP few days early ( 2-3 days before)? Please post your experiences including the reason you mentioned to get an early FP.

Regards,
C M

last year I was turned back by the lady. There were only 3-4 people in the room and gave her hardship reasons and difficulty with work and kids but she was so cold. This year, I hope she does not work there anymore. Try if your time allow. Good luck.