Derivative I-485 approved

aanl

Registered Users (C)
My wife and son submitted I-485 in July of 2007 as derivatives.
USCIS sent out an email a couple days ago notifying their I-485 have been approved and orders have been placed for their GC. The waiting time for their applicaitons is less than 12 months. Good luck to those who are still waiting!

aanl

aanl,

please convey congratulations to ur wife & son on this happy occasion. Did they go through i-730 process? If yes what is the timeline for i-730?

Thanks

It took about 2 yrs in I-730 process before they came to US. I don't remember exact dates for that. Do you have I-730 pending for your family members currently?

aanl,

Thanks for reply. Yes, I have pending I-730 for my son, however they approved my wife's i-730 after a period of over 2 years although I applied at same time for both. My family is already in USA. Can u answer these questions please?
After approval of I-730, how long u wait to file I-485, a year or more? Did u file I-589 before filing i-485? How old is ur son? Which service center u filed TSC or NSC?
Thanks

aanl,

Thanks for reply. Yes, I have pending I-730 for my son, however they approved my wife's i-730 after a period of over 2 years although I applied at same time for both. My family is already in USA. Can u answer these questions please?
After approval of I-730, how long u wait to file I-485, a year or more? Did u file I-589 before filing i-485? How old is ur son? Which service center u filed TSC or NSC?
Thanks

Yes. You have to wait for a year after the approval of I-730 before you can apply for a green card.

aanl,

Thanks

If the person was already in the United States, then one year after the date of approval she can apply for a green card by filing the I-485 (assuming that the person does not travel abroad after the I-730 approval).

The.Walker & thankful,

Thanks for the information.

thankful,
U mean if she travels abroad for a short visit of less than a month, she will not be able to file I-485 after one year of her I-730?
Can u please clarify it?
thanks

aanl,

Thanks

Wait one whole year before filing I-485.
Application was filed wit NSC.

Last edited by a moderator:
The.Walker & thankful,

Thanks for the information.

thankful,
U mean if she travels abroad for a short visit of less than a month, she will not be able to file I-485 after one year of her I-730?
Can u please clarify it?
thanks

It souds like that you wife traveled abroad in the 1st year after her approval of I-730. I did not see any problem with that as long as she returned back to US. She has to wait for a year before I-485. Hope these would help.

aanl,

Thanks aanl for info. My wife has not travelled abroad yet but she is planning to visit after she gets her Travel Document. However, she plans to go for 2 weeks only. I do not know if it is going to delay her GC process later on.
Thanks again.

aanl,

Thanks aanl for info. My wife has not travelled abroad yet but she is planning to visit after she gets her Travel Document. However, she plans to go for 2 weeks only. I do not know if it is going to delay her GC process later on.
Thanks again.

Chang1428,

Based on some public information, her GC process will be delayed.

From the public information, particulary from USCIS website, (http://www.uscis.gov/portal/site/us...nnel=c9b4ef4c766fd010VgnVCM1000000ecd190aRCRD),

What are the basic requirements to apply for permanent resident status as an asylee or refugee?
If you are an asylee, you may be able to apply for permanent resident status one year after you are granted asylum and you:

1) Have been physically present in the U.S. for at least one year after being granted asylum;
2) Continue to meet the definition of a refugee;
3) Have not abandoned your status; and
4) Are not firmly resettled in any foreign country.

For 1), please note "physically present in the U.S". When your wife is traveling abroad, she is not physically living in US. She needs to wait another 2 weeks before filing I-485, making her total presence time length before I-485 filing is one year.

For your information only.

Good Luck!

Last edited by a moderator: