derivative asylum went to country of precaution

faten

Registered Users (C)
derivative asylum went to country of persecution

Hi all, 4 years ago I traveled to my country with Travel document and I stayed for 4 months. and now I am ready for my citizenship interview after 3 weeks. Do you think my case will be denied?

Thank you

Last edited by a moderator:
well its complicated to say yes or no ,but you have high chances of been ACCEPTED for citizenship since you are not the person who applied for asylum so you were not fearing persecution in the COP.So you can go to COP.
Also,I remember seeing some where on USCIS website a couple of months ago an issue o this topic and I think you are fine to go but not the person who claim persecution. Don't worry even if it comes up ,just explain to them what you went to do and tell them you are a derivative surely they will already know that.Good luck

Derivative asylees have a good chance of approval after visiting their COP. If you had compelling reasons to visit, take evidence of that (letter from a hospital or doctor indicating sick relative, etc.). It seems you know that as a derivative asylee, you do not have the same fear of persecution as the primary, so you can always explain to the officer that you discussed this with others, including CIS. Remember, though, that they might not ask you about this, so if they don't ask for extra evidence or reasons, do not give them any.

Can my wife travel to COP

I was the primary applicant for asylum , My asylum was approved sep 2012, Cna my wife go to see her family , Please advice.

Does she feel comfortable going for a visit? Would she be subject to harassment? Is it clear in your asylum story that only YOU are in danger of persecution in your home country? If so, it is likely that it is ok for her to go see her family AFTER she gets her GC. I would not recommend going before that.