delay in entry (please help)

GRE

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I got my L1B visa on Dec 2005, and it is now March 2006 and I'm still with my current employer outside the States. I have not traveled to the States since I got my visa. The delay of entry to the States is due to a general reorganization in the US company that I had no idea about at the time of the application. The projected date of entry is now May 2006. The corporate lawyer advised that I take with me a letter from the US company that explains the delay and that I show this to the port authority if requested.

My q is: How does this delay *really* affect me in terms of status, expiration dates of visa, visa transfer possibilities or future GC petition? Is it bad news in any way? Has anybody been in a similar situation? Am I supposed to be out of status right now? What if I never make it to the States? Is the visa stamp ever valid for future transfers or petitions or applications then? Apologies but there is quite a bit of uncertainty with this matter right now and I'm going nuts. Any advice welcome.

many thanks, GRE

GRE said:
My q is: How does this delay *really* affect me in terms of status, expiration dates of visa, visa transfer possibilities or future GC petition? Is it bad news in any way? Has anybody been in a similar situation? Am I supposed to be out of status right now? What if I never make it to the States? Is the visa stamp ever valid for future transfers or petitions or applications then? Apologies but there is quite a bit of uncertainty with this matter right now and I'm going nuts. Any advice welcome.
It does not affect anything, and is not bad news either.
There is no such thing, "out of status", unless you are in the US.
No problem even if you do not make it in the US.

new development and q! (sorry that's urgent)

I'm not clear from the above response about whether I have a valid visa if I never make it to the States. Would I be able in such a case to transfer my visa from L to H or whatever, I mean without an actual entry to the States under the L visa? Or do I have to actually be in the States in order to do so. In other words, do I lose my visa if I don't do an entry early enough? Say the visa expires in Dec 2007 and I make a first entry in Nov 2007? The reason I ask is because things are still in the air with the sponsor employer! Is other words what happens with tranfers to other visa's or other employers in cases such as this. Thanks! :confused:

There is no transfer from L to other visa. If you want other visa, it is brand new petition no matter if were in the US or not.
Your visa is always valid unless it's expired, but using it or not is your choice. You can enter the US with that visa, as long as it is not expired and you satisfy the condition that visa requires(such as employment by L1 company)

finally getting it!

Thanks! At last I think I just about got it! :eek:
All these posts about "L to H" etc. made me think that you can transfer from a visa to another visa. Obviously I wasn't exactly thinking... :rolleyes:

I guess if I enter now with my current visa and return and then don't follow up with another entry (say, if I get laid off or whatever -knock wood), nobody gives a rat's behind. Which is cool. I don't want to invite immigration enquiries for no reason.

thanks, ur da (wo)man! :D