Decision could not be made N400 - Phoenix DO

lsamp

Registered Users (C)
I live in the Phoenix area and had applied (N400) on 6/23/09. Since I live in Phoienix and mailed it to the local lockbox, they were able to assign a PD of 6/24.

I received the FP notice on 07/06/09 and went for early FP on 07/07/09.

Then I got the interview letter last month (08/05/09) and the went to the interview today.

The interview was at 10:15 AM. I reached there at 09:50 AM and the security screening took almost 10 minutes.

Turned in my appointment letter in counter 1 and was asked to wait.

I was not called till 10:45 AM.

Then after being asked to take the oath, I was asked to show my green card - no other document was requested and I did not offer to show anything either.

Started with the civics test - answered first 6 questions correctly. (Father of our nation, name of chief justice, how many members in house of rep, one war in the 1900s, which month we vote for president, how many years do we elect representatives for).

Asked to read a sentence and write a sentence.

Then asked questions about being a member of commubnist party, other organizations, have you ever been in jail anywhere in the world, any foreign trips since you applied, any convictions, asked about the two civil traffic tickets - were they just citations only? And do you owe any taxes...

Then went through the name change process, confirmed by present address and phone numbers and current employer.

After all this, which took about 20 minutes, he made me sign a few sheets and said he cannot make a decision today! :mad:

Apparently he could not sign the approval till I complete the 5 years as a LPR , but he gave a sheet in which he wrote he will approve it on Monday, 9/21.

And he said I should expect the oath letter in the next 6 weeks...

Man, I am so disappointed....

I had almost all the documents from Johnny Cash's list. I even had a letter of good standing from the state government stating I do not owe any taxes as I did not want to pay for transcripts.

So now back to the waiting game...:(

Disappointed because did not walk out with a decision. Maybe they should have setup the interview after the 5 year date...

Disappointed because did not walk out with a decision. Maybe they should have setup the interview after the 5 year date...

Early walk-in finger prints triggered an early interview date. Since N-400 process is now taking only 3-4 months, It was not worth doing early FPs.

Surely you must have known before the interview that they couldn't provide you a decision since you hadn't met the 5 year eligibility yet, no?

So, is it a norm for all the before 5 year anniversary interviews? That they don't make decision. Or depends on IO or DO?

Surely you must have known before the interview that they couldn't provide you a decision since you hadn't met the 5 year eligibility yet, no?

Could he not have been recommended for approval while scheduling an oath date for a date after his 5-yr anniversary?

Last edited by a moderator:

You got the decision. You said he will recommend for approval on 9/21. That means you passed everything and only the Oath to go. I am not sure I understand the problem. I think it was good of the IO to not say, "come back on 9/21.

I live in the Phoenix area and had applied (N400) on 6/23/09. Since I live in Phoienix and mailed it to the local lockbox, they were able to assign a PD of 6/24.

Then I got the interview letter last month (08/05/09) and the went to the interview today.

The interview was at 10:15 AM. I reached there at 09:50 AM and the security screening took almost 10 minutes.

Then after being asked to take the oath, I was asked to show my green card - no other document was requested and I did not offer to show anything either.

Started with the civics test - answered first 6 questions correctly. (Father of our nation, name of chief justice, how many members in house of rep, one war in the 1900s, which month we vote for president, how many years do we elect representatives for).

Then asked questions about being a member of commubnist party, other organizations, have you ever been in jail anywhere in the world, any foreign trips since you applied, any convictions, asked about the two civil traffic tickets - were they just citations only? And do you owe any taxes...

Then went through the name change process, confirmed by present address and phone numbers and current employer.

After all this, which took about 20 minutes, he made me sign a few sheets and said he cannot make a decision today! :mad:

Apparently he could not sign the approval till I complete the 5 years as a LPR , but he gave a sheet in which he wrote he will approve it on Monday, 9/21.

I had almost all the documents from Johnny Cash's list. I even had a letter of good standing from the state government stating I do not owe any taxes as I did not want to pay for transcripts.

Aren't you supposed to be happy that your interview was done successfully and also that the IO didn't approve your case before 5 year anniversary on GC? Imagine what would happen in future if they find out that you got citizenship earlier than legally allowed? You will have to start all over again. So, be happy and wait for the oath letter.

valid points...

i was under the impression you will not be allowed to take oath before the 5 year completion date. (my application was not recommended for approval.)

i have been waiting for a long time for this day (like everyone else on this forum) that is why it was difficult to contain the disappointment..

yes, i am glad things are going by the book...

it is definitely not worth finding out later that the application was approved in error....

You got the decision. You said he will recommend for approval on 9/21. That means you passed everything and only the Oath to go. I am not sure I understand the problem. I think it was good of the IO to not say, "come back on 9/21.

the problem is the disappointment...

Could he not have been recommended for approval while scheduling an oath date for a date after his 5-yr anniversary?

They wouldn't schedule an oath until the final approval, which must be after 5th year anniversary. Likely the IO decided to delay the recommendation of approval until the 5th year was met as part of his interpretation of the process.

the problem is the disappointment...

Dude,

Drink some root beer and eat raw beets, they are known to cure self-inflicted disappointments for which people create themselves because they are in a hurry for no reason...:rolleyes: You did an early walk-in for FP, because you were going overseas or you just wanted to be ahead of everybody else? :confused: Whole Foods sells raw beets and Trader Joe has root beer, so you have no excuse to continue to be disappointed...:D

Dude,

Drink some root beer and eat raw beets, they are known to cure self-inflicted disappointments for which people create themselves because they are in a hurry for no reason...:rolleyes: You did an early walk-in for FP, because you were going overseas or you just wanted to be ahead of everybody else? :confused: Whole Foods sells raw beets and Trader Joe has root beer, so you have no excuse to continue to be disappointed...:D

And.. make sure you dont gain wt.

The last thing you want to happen is your wt changes and they ask you at your oath on if the wt you mentioned in your N400 form is incorrect, triggering another FP and interview.:mad:

Heck, they should have AR-11_wt form - if your wt changes, you should file it within 10 days of this happening:D:D

Re

I guess curiosity killed the cat. Trying to drink while running. Should have waited for 5 years even though they say you can apply 90 days before 5 years at your risk. Then you jumped the queue to get your finger printing done. So in my opinion it is self inflicted disappointment and don't blame the agency for doing thier job. Patience is the virtue goes all the way

So how is the status now? Did you get your approval?

I think early FP is not the issue here.

I had my FP done as per schedule and completed my interview 5 days before my 5 year anniversary. I and my wife passed "English and Civics test" on 09/25/2009 and both of us got Decision cannot be made as we did not complete 5 year anniversary. Both IO's said that they will recommend for approval after 09/30/2009. We are waiting for our oath letters and we are not disappointed that a decision could not be made as we were prepared mentally that this would happen when we went for interview. But in one case, I saw one person was interviewed two days before anniversary date and his case was approved same day and Oath letter was issued to come for oath two days later.

Good luck to you. Hope we will receive oath letter soon.

I hope you can get your oath letter soon. After you get it, can you update the status here?

Good Luck!

I think early FP is not the issue here.

I had my FP done as per schedule and completed my interview 5 days before my 5 year anniversary. I and my wife passed "English and Civics test" on 09/25/2009 and both of us got Decision cannot be made as we did not complete 5 year anniversary. Both IO's said that they will recommend for approval after 09/30/2009. We are waiting for our oath letters and we are not disappointed that a decision could not be made as we were prepared mentally that this would happen when we went for interview. But in one case, I saw one person was interviewed two days before anniversary date and his case was approved same day and Oath letter was issued to come for oath two days later.

Good luck to you. Hope we will receive oath letter soon.