Decision Cannot Be Made - Seattle experience?

sakst42

Registered Users (C)
N-652: Decision Cannot Be Made - Seattle

Wondering how many other folks are experiencing a similar outcome as I just did:

I successfully went through the citizenship interview this morning (took approx 20 minutes start to finish)
1. Passed the reading, writing & History / Civics test with no problems (got the first 6 correct)
2. The N-400 form was reviewed and one correction made (I had typed in my date of birth in the box meant for my Nationality) but other than that - no red flags
3. I have no tickets or citations, never been arrested
4. Have only travelled outside the country for about 45 days in total over the last 5 years
5. Filed as a Single person (I have no dependents)
6. Don't owe any back taxes etc.
7. Not changing my legal name

Basically if this were a carfax report, I would show up with a clean title (I suppose I need to get out more often... :))

At the end of the interview, the officer said I have passed the test and there are no red flags. However, he said he cannot make a decision today - as ALL applicants AFTER JAN 1 2010 are having background / name checks done by the FBI. He specifically said, that means everyone being interviewed today. i.e. I am not the only person. The FBI name check comment does not convince me. I thought they did that BEFORE applicants are even called for an interview.

I happened to meet a co-worker who got through her interview successfully as well - she too got the "No decision can be made at this time" checked on the document handed to her.

So - now I am left wondering. Anyone else going through the same experience? I am not seeing similar feedback on the forum. So far, everything has moved forward at the same average speed that other people have gone through over the last 6 months or so. Except for this, hopefully, last stage.

Appreciate your feedback.

SK

1. Mailed application on December 29 2009
2. Acknowledgement Receipt (I-797C) received on January 9 2010. Priority Date identified as January 5 2010
3. Fingerprint Notification arrived on January 15 2010
4. Fingerprinting completed on February 2 2010
5. Received notification - Transferred to local DO for interview
7. Interview Letter arrived - February 8 2010
8. Interview Date - March 18, 2010. Interview completed but no decision can be made

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm waiting for almost 90 days after the interview for the exact reason. I have no clue why is the delay happening and they only say that they are doing additional review. Please let me know if you get any updates.

I don't know if you are encountering the same problem as me, since your NOA date is OCT 2009. And mine is JAN 2010. But I will certainly post any updates. Hopefully someone else out there might have some insight on this... I've tried to research if people with post JAN 2010 NOA dates have had a similar experience but not found any references so far.

SK

However, he said he cannot make a decision today - as ALL applicants AFTER JAN 1 2010 are having background / name checks done by the FBI. He specifically said, that means everyone being interviewed today. i.e. I am not the only person. The FBI name check comment does not convince me. I thought they did that BEFORE applicants are even called for an interview.

Background check done for citizenship application by FBI is not a new process. My assumption is your name check ( not background) didn't pass the FBI processing. If your name have a hit in the FBI DB , they will do a secondary screening and until that is verified , they won't send the FP report to USCIS. But I would call the FBI Virginia office and ask customer service if your FP has cleared or not. I got the following information from another post

" Call this no. 304 625 2000 -- ask rep. to transfer call for Finger Print Status. Once rep. transfer's you, press 6 and you will be again transferred to Customer Rep. - give your name and A#/SSN."

Thanks for that. So - getting the Interview letter does not presuppose that the steps taken previously have cleared - e.g. the Fingerprinting which was done a month and half ago, but may not have hit USCIS.

I will follow up.

SK

Called up Customer Support (thanks Greentocitizen): Fingerprint check cleared and results were sent to USCIS more than a month ago. Does that mean by default, that my name has cleared the Name Check too?

My father had his interview on 1 April 2009, but the decision could not be made due to pending FBI check. He finally received his oath letter in November (8 months after interview). So, I would not say that these occasional delays are something new.

Called up Customer Support (thanks Greentocitizen): Fingerprint check cleared and results were sent to USCIS more than a month ago. Does that mean by default, that my name has cleared the Name Check too?

Yes I believe so. In that case IO already got the FBI report. It's weird why we are talking about additional FBI checks. May be IO has the information but didn't realize ? Highly unlikely. I have never read about a case where your background and name check is cleared but IO didn't make a decision because of it.

Wondering how many other folks are experiencing a similar outcome as I just did:

I successfully went through the citizenship interview this morning (took approx 20 minutes start to finish)
1. Passed the reading, writing & History / Civics test with no problems (got the first 6 correct)
2. The N-400 form was reviewed and one correction made (I had typed in my date of birth in the box meant for my Nationality) but other than that - no red flags
3. I have no tickets or citations, never been arrested
4. Have only travelled outside the country for about 45 days in total over the last 5 years
5. Filed as a Single person (I have no dependents)
6. Don't owe any back taxes etc.
7. Not changing my legal name

Basically if this were a carfax report, I would show up with a clean title (I suppose I need to get out more often... :))

At the end of the interview, the officer said I have passed the test and there are no red flags. However, he said he cannot make a decision today - as ALL applicants AFTER JAN 1 2010 are having background / name checks done by the FBI. He specifically said, that means everyone being interviewed today. i.e. I am not the only person. The FBI name check comment does not convince me. I thought they did that BEFORE applicants are even called for an interview.

I happened to meet a co-worker who got through her interview successfully as well - she too got the "No decision can be made at this time" checked on the document handed to her.

So - now I am left wondering. Anyone else going through the same experience? I am not seeing similar feedback on the forum. So far, everything has moved forward at the same average speed that other people have gone through over the last 6 months or so. Except for this, hopefully, last stage.

Appreciate your feedback.

SK

1. Mailed application on December 29 2009
2. Acknowledgement Receipt (I-797C) received on January 9 2010. Priority Date identified as January 5 2010
3. Fingerprint Notification arrived on January 15 2010
4. Fingerprinting completed on February 2 2010
5. Received notification - Transferred to local DO for interview
7. Interview Letter arrived - February 8 2010
8. Interview Date - March 18, 2010. Interview completed but no decision can be made

Buddy: there is something special about your case. My sister had an interview at the Seattle office on Feb. 12. She had interview and oath on the same day. from time to uscis put some people on hold for a while so don't worry too much about it. you are ganno be ok.

Interview was done on 5th March, 2010.
No decision was made in the interview.
They gave for N-652 saying:

* You passed the tests of English and U.S. history and government.
* USCIS will send you a written decision about your application.

I got my oath letter yesterday.

Good luck to all of you.

I had my interview on march 5th with N652: 'Decision cannot be made at this time' and so far no responses from USCIS. IO said that she would have to make 'some additional checks' and that she couldn't connect to some website or whatever at that time.

I got N-445 'Notice of Naturalization oath Ceremony' with a schedule date to take an oath today!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! I'm so happy!!!!!!!!!!!! i will keep my fingers crossed for all of you out there still waiting!

I was NOT made to sign on the application and was instead told to

1. PRINT my name in 2 places in original aplication I submitted (NOT asked to SIGN)

2. SIGN my name on photograph

and was give N-652 with a decision cannot be made remark, but passed english and history exam.

Is this normal? Anyone else in similar situation.

sakst42, didi they ask you to sign the applicatiohn?

Actually - that's the very same thing I was asked to do (foobar - I may not have been precise in my response to the PM, sorry about that...) Which other "application" are you referring to? The N-400 was already signed by me obviously... (nod to the other thread going on about signature :))

1. PRINT my name in 2 places in original aplication I submitted (NOT asked to SIGN)

2. SIGN my name on photograph

I meant sign in on orginal application that I mailed. My friend + his wife went to Seattle office few days ago and where asked to sign application (instead of printing name) and they got oath same day.

Wondering if there are different implications if we were asked to sign vs Print name.

Which other thread are you refering to?

Please ignore my reference to the "other" thread... has nothing to with this discussion, other than the subject of "signature"

A decision cannot be made at this point

Interview date April 6th. I also got the "A decision cannot be made at this point". The officer said that the reason was the # of travelling days very high even if within the law. Total of 470. She said that a check had to be made to verify that my calculation was correct. A friend of mine experience was that the check up was done at the time of the interview, in his case the officer searched the passport for entry dates. In my case I was told this needs to be checked at some other point. Anyone who had same/similar experience. I would really appreciate your feed back. Thanks!

Permanent files missing

I got interview test 2 months ago,that day IO said if he can't approved my citizen yet even I passed the test.Because my permanentfile(A-file)is missing so IO used temporary file to interviewed me.IO said I have to wait maybe2-3 months , he will send the letter for me.... But until now I got nothing. What suppose Ihave to do?somebody canhelpme ,please or have some idea? Thanks

ya, that is what exactly happen to me too, and the IO told me to wait for the letter in the mail. Now it has been a month and half since my interview and nothing, zero nada i received.

By the way i was interviewed in Faifrax, VA Field office.