Decided not taking Oath now but re-apply later

peter66

Is it still possible to withdraw the U.S. naturalization application at such a late time - that means only two weeks before an Oath Ceremony? The reason is that my home country currently does not allow dual citizenship (even they planned to do so this year) and I would now automatically loose my citizenship of my home country. I am a green card holder and decided to re-apply for U.S. naturalization couple of years later when my government finally approves dual citizenship.
Thank you

Just don't turn up at the oath ceremony and write a letter requesting to withdraw your application. Just curious, which country cost you $400 by not sticking to its word?

If you don't turn up for oath, your application will be considered abandoned.

The proper thing to do, however, is to write to your DO and simply state you are withdrawing your application.

Is dual citizenship such a big deal?

Wow you have come this far and you have to turn around, and then apply later with the new fee? How does your country of origin know of other citizenships? Unless they ask I don't think they would have a clue.

thank you

thank you for your responses. I don't want to go to details but my home country is in Europe.

Generally if one acquired prior citizenship through birth then one can regain the citizenship (except maybe Malaysia). What about your country? I think Phllipines also cancels the citizenship but one can regain it immediately be new affirmation.

Australia had a similar policy but they changed the rule recently and have allowed dual citizenship. But those who lost citizenship prior to this law were allowed to regain by some sort of re-affirmation of allegeance.

thank you for your responses. I don't want to go to details but my home country is in Europe.