December 2011 Filers

Joining the December 2011 filers late as my account was under moderation (!!??!!) for a while. Thanks to all the folks in this thread (and this forum), you guys have helped me a lot. My signature shows my timeline. Waiting for NOA's now, and hopefully there won't be any RFE (fingers crossed)!

welcome to the december bus!

Thanks for the welcome, guys.

I got my NOA I-797C yesterday. Waiting for biometrics appointment now. Got a few questions for you though:

Walk in Biometrics:
For those who have already done it, what exactly do I need to say at the biometrics centre to get the walk-in biometrics done? Just show the letter at the reception/door and ask if I can get it done earlier? Do I have to give any reason why?
Could someone say a few words about their experience, please? What did you say to the reception people? Did you face any unexpected questions? Also, do they take your photo at the biometrics, or just the fingerprint?

I-797C - Does it give me any rights?
I'm on B2 Visitor visa (tourist visa), and I haven't got a driver's license or a bank account. I'm in Virginia. Does anybody know if I can at least get a driver's license from VA DMV with I-797C? I used to live in VA before as an F1 Student, and had my license then, but I stupidly let it expire, so now I'll have to go through the process of getting a license all over again. :(

Thanks!

Submit all supporting tax documentation (W-2, 1099's and all supporting tax schedules) submitted to the IRS from the petitioner/sponsor on form I-864, Affidavit of Support, for the most recent tax year.

But I did include tax transcripts from 2008, 2009 and a copy of my 1040 filed for 2010 with IRS. Wouldn't the 1040 be sufficient as proof for my 2010 income tax return?

I think they specifically want the W-2s and 1099s, aside from the 1040.
Of course with the IRS transcript, you don't need to provide W-2s.

I got my NOA I-797C yesterday. Waiting for biometrics appointment now. Got a few questions for you though:

Walk in Biometrics:
For those who have already done it, what exactly do I need to say at the biometrics centre to get the walk-in biometrics done? Just show the letter at the reception/door and ask if I can get it done earlier? Do I have to give any reason why?
Could someone say a few words about their experience, please? What did you say to the reception people? Did you face any unexpected questions? Also, do they take your photo at the biometrics, or just the fingerprint?

I'm on B2 Visitor visa (tourist visa), and I haven't got a driver's license or a bank account. I'm in Virginia. Does anybody know if I can at least get a driver's license from VA DMV with I-797C? I used to live in VA before as an F1 Student, and had my license then, but I stupidly let it expire, so now I'll have to go through the process of getting a license all over again. :(

Thanks!

I did my walk-in in Houston. It was easy. I told the guard(a lady) the honest truth. I told her "am not suppose to be here today" she said, "why are you here then"? i replied, "i want to do a walk in biometric", she then asked for my appointment letter and Identification card, gave me form to fill and a waiting number. ummmh, about 15min, my number was called. And yes, picture will be taken. I got driver's license with my i-94 and i-797C but your i-94 must be valid. If you are out of status, you have to wait for your work permit before getting driver's license.

Walk in Biometrics:

Thanks!

Is Alexandria your ASC? If so, you are fine to walk in with them. Just take your letter (they rarely look at it) and they are super friendly. More than likely you will be successful.

As for the DL, I heard since that alien guy (who obtained DL with EAD) and went on to kill two ppl in a drunk driving accident (alien was drunk), the governor changed the law that having an EAD or 797C is NOT sufficient to obtain a license. They need to show legal presence. Residency, Valid visa/status or citizenship. You can try but I doubt you'd be successful.

@Cliff2:
Thanks for the response. If they take picture, I better shave that morning then! :) And I doubt I-94 and I-797C would be sufficient for VA DMV - I heard things have gotten tougher now.

@Marinewife:
Thanks for your response too. I was actually reading about your experiences in the October filers' thread earlier. We probably have the same processing centre, so I'll be closely following you! I haven't got my biometrics appointment yet, but the ASC is likely going to be the Alexandria one. That's where we went 2 yrs ago when my wife was getting her UK visa (DHS collects the fingerprint on behalf of UK Embassy). Hopefully I'll get some friendly treatment too. :)

I read about the DL and the Va Governor changing rules recently. I don't think I'll get it, but will give it a go from a local DMV. Not too bothered about it anyway, I'm happy to play the role of a DJ while the wifey drives. ;)

Wish you all the best in your upcoming interview! :)

Last edited by a moderator:
so Fiiiiiinally I received 2 days ago my notice of appointment for the fingerprints (dated Jan 5th) and yesterday went to the DMV to sign up for my ID. Updating my siggy..

@MarineWife, wish u the best on ur interview date! Can't wait for your post :)

@MarineWife

Please post your interview experience her. We would really appreciate it. And GOOD LUCK!

case transfered

Hi,

Just got this email from USCIS.

Application Type: I485 , APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS

Your Case Status: Initial Review

On January 11, 2012, we transferred this case I485 APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS to another office for processing and sent you a notice explaining this action. Please follow any instructions provided on the notice. We will notify you by mail when a decision is made. If you move while this case is pending, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address or call our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283.

During this step, USCIS initiates the background checks of the applicant/petitioner and identifies issues that may need to be addressed either during an interview or by asking the applicant/petitioner to submit additional information or documentation. USCIS reviews the applicant's/petitioner's criminal history, determines if there are national security concerns that need to be addressed, and reviews the application/petition for fraud indicators.

What is the meaning of this? I also got a similar email for I-130 application.

Thanks!

Hi,

Application Type: I485 , APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS

On January 11, 2012, we transferred this case I485 APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS to another office for processing and sent you a notice explaining this action. Please follow any instructions provided on the notice. We will notify you by mail when a decision is made. If you move while this case is pending, please use our Change of Address online tool to update your case with your new address or call our customer service center at 1-800-375-5283.

During this step, USCIS initiates the background checks of the applicant/petitioner and identifies issues that may need to be addressed either during an interview or by asking the applicant/petitioner to submit additional information or documentation. USCIS reviews the applicant's/petitioner's criminal history, determines if there are national security concerns that need to be addressed, and reviews the application/petition for fraud indicators.

Thanks!

My guess and this is just a guess is that they just transferred your case to the local office. That's what I think it is. However I might be totally wrong :)

Hi,

On January 11, 2012, we transferred this case I485 APPLICATION TO REGISTER PERMANENT RESIDENCE OR TO ADJUST STATUS to another office for processing and sent you a notice explaining this action. Please follow any instructions provided on the notice. We will notify you by mail when a decision is made.

Thanks!

Based on your signature of dates it seems like NBC is done with the processing of your application and is transferring it to your local district office. Hopefully, you should soon receive your interview letter.

We went through the process in early 2010. We submitted our documents in mid December 2009, ASC appointment was in the middle of Jan 2010, and interview letter received in the end of Jan 2010 for early March 2010.

Done with Biometrics!

Got my biometrics appointment letter yesterday, and finished my biometrics today! Wohoo!

Went to the Alexandria, VA Application Support Center (ASC), and showed them my letter. Told them my appointment isn't until next month, but if I can get it done earlier. They said it was fine, and gave me a form to fill out. I was called in a few minutes after I handed back the completed form and the whole process was done in 10 minutes!

A word about the ASC at Alexandria, VA: @Marinewife said earlier that they are super friendly and she was right. They are really nice! And I've seen the same opinion expressed in other forums! I've lived in 3 countries, but I don't think I've heard this much praise about a government office. So kudos to all the staff there!!

@Marinewife: Good luck tomorrow!! Our best wishes go with you. :) Do let us know about your experience either here or in the Oct filers' thread, please.

Now I can relax a little bit, cuz I feel I've done all I could have done. If all goes well, the next time I hear from USCIS, it will be, hopefully, about the EAD approval.

shyguy1 & skoja

THANKS!!! I will write up my experience in detail either later or tomorrow. *fingers crossed*