Daughter's status

goober71

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,
My daughter is a US citizen by birth. We (wife and me) have filed for 485, but are considering moving back to India for good.
Will my daughter be able to keep her US citizenship? Her passport is valid for 5 years, can we renew it from India after 5 years? She may want to return to the US when she is an adult (she is a year old right now)
If we move back after our 485 is approved, what are the rules for keeping GC valid while out of the US?
Any input will be appreciated.
Thanks.

Goober

If you move back, the 485 will be considered abandoned but your daughter will keep her US citizenship. Until age 18, she is considered a “dual citizen”. Once she turns 18, she has to accept either citizenship.

I have US-born friends who were raised in India only to return to the US in their 20s. Don't lose the US birth Cert!

If you obtain GC after a successful 485 process, you have to maintain residence here. Occasional visits to India up to 6 months are ok. If you want to return to India for good, wait till you get your US citizenship and the PIO card and then go. That’s safe!

Good Luck!

Note: As a GC holder, just checking in occasionally to help others

Thats what i was hoping. Thanks.
If our 485 is abandoned, will we have a problem if we apply for a US visa (tourist or business) in the future? or will it in fact be easier since we did not show an inclination to stay in the US?

Your logic is reasonable however ......

I know of a GC-holder who returned to India for good. Later when he tried to visit the US years later, he was denied a visit visa. The reason given was because he intentionally gave up his GC!

You make the call!!