daughter getting married in U.S.

jocata

Registered Users (C)
My girlfriend (she is from Colombia) is in the U.S. currently with a student visa. We plan on getting married in April and of course would like her family (parents, aunts, etc.) to come visit and be there at the wedding.

Is it advisable for them to mention the wedding, maybe even show an invitation when they apply for a tourist visa? Or are they actually more likely to decline the tourist visa because of that?

Attending a wedding is a good reason for a visa. In my family's experience, a visa was granted for a wedding yet a later request for a simple visit visa for the same guests was denied.

Attending a wedding is a good reason for a visa. In my family's experience, a visa was granted for a wedding yet a later request for a simple visit visa for the same guests was denied.

I can see why that might happen. At the time of the marriage an adult child is years away from naturalizing and being able to apply for a parent's immigrant visa. A few years later and you say you are going to visit your marriad child who is celebrating a 3rd or 5th year wedding anniversary or worst of all to attend their Naturalization Ceremony and you can kiss you B visa good bye/revoked/cancelled. Immigrant Intent jumps way out front in the latter situations.

I can see why that might happen. At the time of the marriage an adult child is years away from naturalizing and being able to apply for a parent's immigrant visa. A few years later and you say you are going to visit your marriad child who is celebrating a 3rd or 5th year wedding anniversary or worst of all to attend their Naturalization Ceremony and you can kiss you B visa good bye/revoked/cancelled. Immigrant Intent jumps way out front in the latter situations.

Actually, in our case person is already USC outside of marriage so could file for parents put they just wanted B2.