Datv

Raj2010

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I am travelling to india via London. As per travel agent, i will sitting inside the plane. I have taken tickets before Oct.15th.

So my question is whether i need to take DATV ...?

Please advice.as i am travelling this weekend ?

If you have a valid visa in your passport or if you have a GC issued on or before 1998 apr 15th (I guess) then , u don't need a DATV. Otherwise u need to take it. It does not matter whether u sit in the plane or not. They wont let you board the plane in US itself, if you dont meet the above criteria.

There has been a lot of discussions going on about this issue. Search in the forum.

LSB

Hello ginnu,

I am currently working in the US on a lawful H-1B status. I have an expired F-1 US visa stamped on my passport. It expired in August 2002. I will be traveling back to my home country (India) via London, England, UK on Nov 21, 2003. I need to get my first time H-1B stamping in Chennai, India. Will I need a Transit Visa? Please advise.

Also, for returning to the US from India, I am travelling through Frankfurt, Germany. Will I need a transit visa for Germany?

Thank you.

You asked if a national of INDIA would require a visa to Transit the United Kingdom
YES - based upon the information provided, a visa WILL be required in this case unless you qualify under one the exemptions listed below.

Exemptions :

1. Holders of Valid U.S. or Canadian Visas who also hold a ticket to or from the US or Canada routed via the UK. This will include a period of 48 hours after the expiry of the US or Canadian visa for those leaving the US or Canada to allow for those who choose to leave at the very end of the validity of their visa.

2. Holders of USA I-551 permanent Resident Cards (Green Cards) issued on or after 21 April 1998

3. Holders of Canadian Permanent Resident Cards issued on or after 28 June 2002

4. Holders of Valid Category D visas issued by EU/EEA member states, which are valid for more than 3 months

5. Holders of Commonwealth format EU Residence permits issued under Council Regulation (EC) No 1030/2002

6. Holders of diplomatic or official passports issued by the Peoples Republic of China

7. Holders of diplomatic or official passports issued by the Government of India

The preceeding categories of traveler are not required to hold a Direct airside transit visa and may still benefit from the Transit Without Visa Concession.

I am an Indian citizen travelling to India on Nov 21st, 2003 for first time H-1B stamping at Chennai on Dec 1st, 2003. My F-1 visa expired in August 2002. Since then I am in legal H-1B status. I am traveling to India via London, UK. Will I need a UK transit visa?

According to the UK Embassy website
http://www.britainusa.com/visas/yestransit.asp

Exemptions: You are exempt from this requirement if:

You hold a valid US or Canadian visa who also hold a ticket to or from the US or Canada routed via the UK. This will include a period of 48 hours after the expiry of the US or Canadian visa for those leaving the US or Canada to allow for those who choose to leave at the very end of the validity of their visa

Please note that my F-1 visa expired last year in August 2002. Do I really need a Transit Visa?

I have a Canadian visitor visa valid till Dec 1, 2003. I am travelling to India on Nov 21, 2003 via London, UK. Please note that my ticket is from the US (Washington, DC) to India (Bangalore) via London (UK). I am not travelling to India from Canada although I have a valid Canadian Visitor visa. Will my Canadian visitor visa stamp help me avoid getting a UK Transit Visa?

I called the British Consulate Geenral in New York City.....but their automated system sucks. I cant get to speak to a Visa Officer!!!

Anybody please help!!!

Processing time

Hi,

I mailed my DATV application to UK consulate in NY after filing it online using FASTTRACK option. I did it on 4th OCT and received an ack for 5th OCT. I haven't received my passport and all other ORIGINALS back yet. Now I am beginning to worry about the processing time as my travel date is coming closer. Doea anyone has similar kind of situation. I tried to contatc the consulate but noone is answerng the phone. I really need some help here.

Please advise what to do now?

LSB

I personally went to the British Consulate in New York City on Nov 10, 2003. I was scared of my passport being lost in mail and didn't want to have problems just before my journey to India on Nov 21st.

I am very sorry to know about your situation. Please call them ASAP and lodge a complaint. Also, apply for a duplicate passport at the Indian Enbassy in Washington, DC.

Last edited by a moderator:
I mailed my DATV application to UK consulate in NY after filing it online using FASTTRACK option. I did it on 4th OCT and received an ack for 5th OCT. I haven't received my passport and all other ORIGINALS back yet.

----- Immediately speak/fax to them provide your passport # name,DOB and date of acknowledgement

Now I am beginning to worry about the processing time as my travel date is coming closer. Doea anyone has similar kind of situation. I tried to contatc the consulate but noone is answerng the phone. I really need some help here.
------ Also send email and fax, try to speak morning or after 2PM, also send letter it will reaching 2 days write clearly out side the envelope “passport NOT received sent on XX)

Please update others what is happening

Hi mvinays, I have a similar situation as you. I have tickets to go to india by british airways on 31st december. Now the department of state sent back by passport without H1B renewal stamping and quoted to go to home country and get it stamped. Please suggest me what to do! I have new HIB renewal approval with me until dec 04 but the previous visa expired in Jun, 03. Please let me know about any problems in getting transit visa or stamping H1 in India. After your stamping on December 1st, could you please let me know what is the situation out there for stamping (i.e. if any rejection cases out there) and whether your stamping went smoothly? it will be a great help to me.

Thanks,

anindya_72

Originally posted by mvinays
I am an Indian citizen travelling to India on Nov 21st, 2003 for first time H-1B stamping at Chennai on Dec 1st, 2003. My F-1 visa expired in August 2002. Since then I am in legal H-1B status. I am traveling to India via London, UK. Will I need a UK transit visa?

According to the UK Embassy website
http://www.britainusa.com/visas/yestransit.asp

Exemptions: You are exempt from this requirement if:

You hold a valid US or Canadian visa who also hold a ticket to or from the US or Canada routed via the UK. This will include a period of 48 hours after the expiry of the US or Canadian visa for those leaving the US or Canada to allow for those who choose to leave at the very end of the validity of their visa

Please note that my F-1 visa expired last year in August 2002. Do I really need a Transit Visa?

I have a Canadian visitor visa valid till Dec 1, 2003. I am travelling to India on Nov 21, 2003 via London, UK. Please note that my ticket is from the US (Washington, DC) to India (Bangalore) via London (UK). I am not travelling to India from Canada although I have a valid Canadian Visitor visa. Will my Canadian visitor visa stamp help me avoid getting a UK Transit Visa?

I called the British Consulate Geenral in New York City.....but their automated system sucks. I cant get to speak to a Visa Officer!!!

Anybody please help!!!

I am traveling to India today. I will let you know the H-1B stamping details. Regarding Transit Visa, it is a very easy process. I wen to Britsih Consulate in NYC personally. They issued me a British Transit Visa for 2 years. They checked proof of legal H-1B status in USA (I-797) and stamped it in an hour (only if you go there personally). I have heard horror stories of people sending passports to British Consulate in New York and not getting back their passport and documents in in time. So be careful!! There is a possibility of things getting lost in mail.

Good luck and have a great day!

Hi mvinays, Thanks for the info. Could you please post comment here or email me at anindya_72@yahoo.com about what happened in visa stamping in India after dec 1st? I will take decisions after hearing from you. Do you have the H1B approval in your hand?
Please let me know.

Thanks a lot,

Anindya_72

Originally posted by mvinays
I am traveling to India today. I will let you know the H-1B stamping details. Regarding Transit Visa, it is a very easy process. I wen to Britsih Consulate in NYC personally. They issued me a British Transit Visa for 2 years. They checked proof of legal H-1B status in USA (I-797) and stamped it in an hour (only if you go there personally). I have heard horror stories of people sending passports to British Consulate in New York and not getting back their passport and documents in in time. So be careful!! There is a possibility of things getting lost in mail.

Good luck and have a great day!

Yes. I have the H-1B approval in hand. I will do so after Decmber 1.
Good luck!

Last edited by a moderator:
TRansit visa in UK

Hi,

My mom came to USA on Jul 18' 2003 on visitor visa. Though the visitor visa was valid for only 3 months (Oct 11' 2003) She was issued an I-94 till Jan 17th 2004.

So she is travelling back to India on Dec 15th 2003 by Air India (Chicago-London-Bombay) and no change of flight in London. Does she require transit visa for UK

Please let me know

Thanks

I dont think she needs a DATV

I'm not quite sure but here is my 2 cents.
I took a vacation to India from Oct 22 till Nov 27. While boarding the plane in Chicago to London, my passport and tickets were checked by someone from the United Airlines. This I suspect is the check to see if one needed the DATV to London. Since I had a valid H1 visa and a CONFIRMED return ticket, she took my I94 and let me through. So coming back to your mother's case, I think she can argue that her stay in US is valid till Jan 17th 2004 according to the I94 and she also has a confirmed ticket, so they should let her through. But then again if the airline employee is not well versed with the visa rules, he/she can cause problems. I once tried to convince a immigration official at Mumbai that the date on I94 was the valid one. But that didn't go well and I had to part with 40 bucks to get 'every thing fixed'

“I once tried to convince a immigration official at Mumbai that the date on I94 was the valid one. But that didn't go well and I had to part with 40 bucks to get 'every thing fixed'”

I-94 at Bombay Airport? You don’t have I-94 when you are in Bombay or India; you get I-94 at Airport in US before entry to US and I-94 is stapled in your PP when you are in US. What kind of immigration officer at Bombay airport? What they have to do with I-94? Even they don’t know what is I-94, what kind of I-94 you are discussing at Bombay airport? This the first time I am reading I-94 at Bombay airport

seeme: Call Air India and ask if your mom needs UK transit visa also check with nearest UK consulate

DATV Required

Hi,

I contacted Air India and they said only if there is a valid US visa stamped in the passport there is an exemption from transit visa. But in my mom's case she surely needs one and I am planning to take her to chicago in person for the visa.

Thanks.