Dallas TX - N-400 Timeline -

Interview was today morning. whole process took 1 hour.
questions:
1. who is father of our country
2. who is the supreme court chief justice
3. how many voting members are there in house of representatives
4. what is the term of us representative
5. name the wars fought in 1900 by US
do not remember the 6th one.

appoved, and Waiting for oath in few weeks.

Has anyone on the forum had their oath taken before the completion of 5 years from the date that the green card was issued?

It seems that many folks are having their interviews scheduled before 5 years, but was wondering if it may be possible (by rules) that someone can become citizen before 5 years.

I had not completed my 5 years (I completed it on Oct 5th, 09). I had my interview today and the officer didnt approve my citizenship.

He said that after I completed my 5 years, the file will get back to him and then he will approve it and after that I will get the oath letter. Since the file transport could take longer, he said that it may take upto 3 months before I get my approval and the oath letter.

How long does it take to receive your oath letter after finishing interview in Dallas? I have a name change hence could not do a same day oath.

Any recent experience?

SGS Nathan, Congratulations. Please write something about your interview. How it went well. Tell us about your experience of the most day of your life.

SGS Nathan, Congratulations. Please write something about your interview. How it went well. Tell us about your experience of the most day of your life.

Marlia, I am guessing you meant most "important" day? I definitely don't consider this anywhere near the most important of days of my life. But that is just me :).

I had the interview yesterday at the Irving office. Everything went smoothly and the officer didn't even ask for any documents except for the long wait to meet her. My appt was for 1:40 pm, but actually had it around 3:30pm. Oh well! I overheard someone talking about oath on Monday the 28th, so when she told me that I was approved and will get a letter about oath in the mail, I mentioned that to her. She went to investigate and came back with a form/appointment letter for oath on Monday saying I was really lucky!

As for the interview itself, it wasn't any different from anybody else's here. She took me to her office and I figured I might as well sit down as there were a few chairs. I sat down and was talking to her while she kept standing. I wasn't sure why until she mentioned swearing in. So I stood up and said "I do" to what she asked me. After that she just went over all the questions (Yes/No ones) on the N-400 form. Asked a few questions about my family etc. After a little bit of chit chat, started the Civics test. She had a sheet with 10 questions and she randomly asked 6 from those. She noted the my answers on the same form. I got the first 6 right, so she didn't ask any more. Then she went on to the English test. Asked me to read a sentence which I did. Then asked me to read the answer to the same question. After I did that, she asked me to write that also. She marked on her forms that I passed all the tests and that was the quick rundown on the interview. She also commented on how I was lucky since I live in the same zip code as the USCIS office, but there were people who had to come from the TX panhandle. I told her the last time I had an interview with USCIS, I had to drive 150 miles to the Norfolk, VA office too. In fact, I had to set up an Infopass second time and go a third time on top of that :). After that, we just chatted about how this was a particularly busy Friday for them etc. But she was pretty friendly and nice overall.

In any case, it was a realy pleasure interacting with all the folks on this forum over the years. Good luck to each and every one of you!

Last edited by a moderator:
Updated schedule...I'm now a US citizen!
6/24/2009 sent application
6/25/2009 application received by USCIS
7/20/2009 check cashed
7/21/2009 received app receipt
7/29/2009 received FP appointment for 08/06/2009
8/06/2009 FP
9/24/2009 Interview 1:40pm
9/25/2009 oath 1:30pm with 40 others
09/28/2009 PP applicatoin
xx/xx/xxxxx PP received

Interview experience: I arrived at 1:15pm for my interview at 1:40. I was called in at about 2:55pm so I waited a long time! The actual interview lasted about 30 minutes.
Asked me questions about my application- the sense I got is this was a test to see that all the information I provided was accurate (e.g. my wife's name, birthdate etc...). The quiz was easy- asked about 5 questions verbally (e.g. what was the main concern about the cold war). HE did ask a few questions about my job. Generally a very good experience!
Good luck to all of you.

I just finished my Oath this morning Dallas (Irving) office. All went well and became a USC today.

Interview:

1. Interview on 9/4 was routine and cordial. The IO looked less bothered asked few Qs and checked the app all over again and asked to sing at the bottom. Wife had 3 traffic tickets- got the letter from courts and her IO kept them in the file. Her IO only asked for the letters after she pointed them out.

2. I/we got our interviews before our 5 year anniv. The IO observed that these days they started geeting apps like these and it is not good since they can not approve the apps until after 5 year anniv. So the IO could not approve the app. But he did some thing interesting. Rater than send it back to the Q and get back on the anniv date he kept the file with him and approved it prompty on the 5Y date. Same with my wife but a different IO. We were given - Could not determine - letter

3. Signature on the Photo - that should match the signature on the Cert: The IO said to pick what ever I want - signature, name, etc - He dint care. Said put the same on the certificate

Post Interview
1. We were fearing that this Oath letter will take for ever - but we got it in couple of weeks but it with just a week's notice.

Oath
1. Oath went ok. There was a large crowd but it was done in and hour.

2. Dallas office is offering same day oaths and they have multiple slots in the morning. If the interviews are finished by those times they are allowing people to go for same day oath

Post Oath:
Applied for App.

Overall - I dint have any bad exp with INS/BCIS/USCIS in 9 years and I do not wish to have one in the future. But it was interesting journey.

Finally - Do not believe the status in USCIS website - My status still is "App recieved"

Thank you all.

My interview experience yesterday:
I had my interview yesterday. It was pretty smooth and quick. My interview was scheduled at 10:45 pm and I arrived there at 10:30. Passed through security and arrived at desk and was told they are running behind about 1 hour. I waited and after 2 hours my name was called at 12:45. followed the IO to her office.The IO was very nice and polite and courtious and asked me to show DL ,GC and passport after swearing.Then she went through all the question from N400 very quickly and then asked me 6 question and read/write sentence. After that she asked me to sign my picture.I asked how to sign and she she said as you sign the application (just like as I sign the check) and then she put the Red Appoved stamp on my application and congratulated me and handed over the N652. Since the interview was delayed, I was not able to do the same day oath and was told the OL will be mailed out in about 1 to 2 weeks. Overall it was pretty smooth and nice experience.My case was pretty staright forward and just couple minor traffic tickets. Did not ask any documents except, GC,DL, Passport.

Questions:
1.Who wrote the Declaration of Independence.
2.What are the two major political parties in the United States
3 What is the political party of the President now?
4.Who is the Commander in Chief of the military
5.There were 13 original states. Name three.
6.Name one state that borders Mexico.

Read: Who elect the president.
Write: The people elect the president.

Last edited by a moderator:
Read: Who elect the president.
Write: The people elect the president.
If what you had to write was the answer that the interviewer gave to the question that you read then it's rather ironic that they are asking you questions about the basis of the US government but don't know the answers themselves. (It is of course the electoral college that elects the president.)

If what you had to write was the answer that the interviewer gave to the question that you read then it's rather ironic that they are asking you questions about the basis of the US government but don't know the answers themselves. (It is of course the electoral college that elects the president.)

Sorry, I dont recall exactly what the answer was but it was something like that..:confused:

I think now you are being too technical. It is indeed the PEOPLE who elect the president either way :).

Thats right. If the PEOPLE dont vote to elect the president, how the electoral college elect the president.
While the electors that form the college will typically pledge to vote based on the desire of their state's population, this isn't automatic. The constitution allows for unpledged electors who have not agreed to vote in a particular way. Furthermore, even if a pledged elector goes against their pledge, the majority of states have no law to prevent this and even those that do typically cannot change the vote after the fact.

While the electors that form the college will typically pledge to vote based on the desire of their state's population, this isn't automatic. The constitution allows for unpledged electors who have not agreed to vote in a particular way. Furthermore, even if a pledged elector goes against their pledge, the majority of states have no law to prevent this and even those that do typically cannot change the vote after the fact.

You should also note the fact that "faithless electors" that you are have mentioned here have not changed the outcome of any presidential election to date. That should say something :).