Dallas TX - N-400 Timeline -

Yes Asif, ap74mo is absolutely right. I had entered US on H1 at age 23 and confered with SSS and I was not required to register. In the SIL instructions, F1 is just cited as an example of a non-immigrant status and is at the category as H1 or B1 or TN or G4 or any other non-immigration Visa whose proof you are supposed to provide to SSS for getting the SIL. I did take the Status Information Letter (which validates that I was not required to register) and to be on the safer side you can do the same if the time allows.

I guess at this point, I understand the fact that I do not need to register. What I am asking here though is whether I need a status info letter from SSS or not. Providing SSS all the proof and the paper work is a lot of hassle and I don't want to do it if I don't have to.

I guess at this point, I understand the fact that I do not need to register. What I am asking here though is whether I need a status info letter from SSS or not. Providing SSS all the proof and the paper work is a lot of hassle and I don't want to do it if I don't have to.

I guess you could wait for your IL and see if your document checklist asks to bring SS registration evidence (my did). At that point if your IL mentions that - you will need to decide for yourself whether to get SIL or accept some risk. If you will be willing to accept risk that IO can ask you to provide SIL (which you won't have) and might give you an RFE (for it) at the end of interview instead of approval decision/recommendation, then you will know that you calculated that risk into your decision. Worst case - that RFE will add some time to your process.

File Together

Asitel,
My Lawyer told us that she had asked USCIS to keep the files together by writing them a cover letter and asking to do so. MY SS Number and my wife's are right after eachother. So I guess it worked. I assume that the backgroun d check might not be done together as we have different nationalities, however, I hope so as we have to travel from overseas.

Look at this way, you just need to fill a two page SIL request letter along with the photocopies of your I-20, OPT-EAD, pages where there entry stamps on your passport (for the time in question) and copy of your H1 approval and simply mail everything to the SSS. A SIL will be in your mail box in next 4 weeks. SSS only cares for your non-immigrant status between the age 18 - 26 and not beyond.

This will give you a peace of mind because there have been several posts on this forum where they were SIL was not even listed on the Interview Letter but during time of the interview, the officer just asked that question all of a sudden. And even if you do not end up using SIL right now, it may be helpful when you apply for a Federal Job/Consulting/Contracting position later on in your life.

Its still your call....

I am in the same boat as u fconde..Exactly same. My wife oath was on 4/4 and i took infopass and they told me everything is 100% done just waiting to be scheduled for oath. I haven't received my oath letter yet. Please update if you recieve oath letter
Will do fundoos.

Since they usually mail the letter about three weeks prior to the Oath, I'm planning to schedule an Infopass for sometime between May 7th and May 18th. Should I receive the letter before then, I'll cancel the appointment.

I passed the interview on January 26th. May 26th would be the USCIS 120 days deadline.

I have just started the application process at Dallas so will post my status as it gets updated. I am using the provisions under 319(b) to apply for citizenship early (I got my PR in May 2006) as my wife is serving as missionary for a US religous organization overseas so I would be interested to see if this makes any difference to the timing...I doubt it!

Application/Received Date: 03/30/2007
Priority Date: 03/30/2007
FP Notice: 04/11/2007
FP Date: 05/01/2007

My Current Status

I got my IL notice by my doorsteps it appears the mailman put it in a wrong box whose owner brought it to my doorsteps,he is a good samaritan

02/09/07 - RD/PD
03/15/07 - FP done (cleared same day)
04/16/07 - IV ND
04/19/07 - IV letter at my doorsteps
06/19/07 - IV appt at 08:40
??/??/?? - Oath, So help me God.

Last edited by a moderator:
How long for FP date in Dallas? Please help !!!

I'm planning to submit the N400 during first week of May 2007. We are planning to travel international on May 31st and while I'll be back within a month, my spouse will not be back until August 2007.

1. Should I expect to get done with FP by the end of May?

2. What if I miss the FP date? What is the process and how easy it is to be rescheduled?

3. Should I submit N400 a week before I'm eligible (90 days before my 5 years of GC)? This will increase the possibility of getting FP done before travelling.

Thanks for an urgent advice on this.

I'm planning to submit the N400 during first week of May 2007. We are planning to travel international on May 31st and while I'll be back within a month, my spouse will not be back until August 2007.

2. What if I miss the FP date? What is the process and how easy it is to be rescheduled?

3. Should I submit N400 a week before I'm eligible (90 days before my 5 years of GC)? This will increase the possibility of getting FP done before travelling.

You should be ok it normally takes 2-3 weeks after they receive your application . You can always reschedule to do FP at the worst scenario.

1. You can be lucky to get FP notice by the end of the May. Though it is more likely you'll get it second/third week of June or so with the FP appointment at the end of June/beginning of July.

2. If you are lucky to get it before you leave - you can try early walk-in. If you get it after you are back - you can try late walk-in (some ASC's would allow that). Or you can reschedule your FP following instructions on the FP notice. BUT I do not remember what FP letter says and IF you will be able reschedule AFTER you've already missed the FP appointment.

3. Again you will be testing your luck if you do. Some accounts on this board describe several cases when applications were sent too early and were denied by USCIS simply because they opened the letter in USCIS when it happened to be couple days before person's eligibility. One can speculate that USCIS processing had slowed down a bit in the last month or so and it will be more likely for your letter to sit 1-2 extra weeks in USCIS before someone gets to it, BUT it is up to you if you want to gamble on that.

My advice:

Wait a bit. Submit the application as you leave the country. If you are back within a month, you will likely not miss your FP appointment. You might also delay the application until you get back.

In my mind, it is better to wait a bit to make sure that nothing pushes you off the "fast track". Fast track processing works very well - but, as soon as you fall off the track, you can face delays of months or years.

When thinking about the N-400 process, delays of days and weeks are nothing - what is important is to avoid the delays of months and years.

please check your inbox

Please check your inbox
I got my IL notice by my doorsteps it appears the mailman put it in a wrong box whose owner brought it to my doorsteps,he is a good samaritan

02/09/07 - RD/PD
03/15/07 - FP done (cleared same day)
04/16/07 - IV ND
04/19/07 - IV letter at my doorsteps
06/19/07 - IV appt at 08:40
??/??/?? - Oath, So help me God.

My understanding...

FP date has very little to do with anything (unless it is somehow much after the Priority Date). It is the "Priority Date" that sets everything.

As I understand it:

1. The Service Center accepts your application, enters it into the system, generates a PD and sends out the initial notice
  2. The Service Center schedules the FP (in coordination with the local ASC) and also schedules all of the checks. As data (like FP) comes it, it may route it to other checking organizations (like the FBI).
  3. Your application waits until all the checks return (this can take a *long* time if your application falls into name check hell)
  4. Once the checks are done, your application goes into the scheduling queue for the district office where your interview will happen. Like everything else, I'm guessing PD has some bearing on the order
  5. At the same time, the service center orders your files and requests that they be delivered to the district office
  6. When your district office has interview capacity, it pulls applications from the queue - the variations in DO backlogs come from here.
  7. At this point, your files may or may not have arrived at the district office. If they don't get there in time - Boom, you are rescheduled (this is no fun at all).
  8. Somewhere about this time, the district office takes control of your application and the service center stops actively tracking your application
  9. If all goes well, you get an interview
  10. In Dallas, if you pass, and there is oath ceremony capacity available, you will get the oath letter before you leave the interview. Otherwise, you should get an oath letter 4-6 weeks later

I'm not an expert, but I've been lurking or contributing to this forum for more than a year. Some of the above is direct observation, some comes from queries during InfoPass appointments (5 in the past year), some comes from the intutition of someone who has been in the software business for 25 years. None of it is official.

The important thing is to keep your application on the fast track - if you fall off of it (name check, file mis-routing, rescheduling, whatever), your application can fall in to the "we'll get to this when we get around to it". Mine stayed there for about 5 months last year.

Application Process

Flydog,
Thank you so much for all the info and I undersatnd that some of it is just guessing.

Any idea how to mitigate in order not to go through the path of "Hell", the long wait, etc..

Thanks

I am in a similar situation

Mailed to TSC.......10/13/2006.....10/13/2006 (wife)
Received Date.......10/16/2006.....10/16/2006
Priority Date.......10/16/2006.....10/16/2006
Money order........N/A.....N/A
FP Notice Date......10/23/2006.....10/23/2006
FP Date.............11/03/2006.....11/03/2006
Interview Letter....XX/XX/XXXX.....12/22/2006
Interview Date......XX/XX/XXXX.....02/22/2007
Oath Letter.........XX/XX/XXXX.....03/20/2007
Oath Date...........XX/XX/XXXX.....04/04/2007

My understanding...

FP date has very little to do with anything (unless it is somehow much after the Priority Date). It is the "Priority Date" that sets everything.

As I understand it:

1. The Service Center accepts your application, enters it into the system, generates a PD and sends out the initial notice
  2. The Service Center schedules the FP (in coordination with the local ASC) and also schedules all of the checks. As data (like FP) comes it, it may route it to other checking organizations (like the FBI).
  3. Your application waits until all the checks return (this can take a *long* time if your application falls into name check hell)
  4. Once the checks are done, your application goes into the scheduling queue for the district office where your interview will happen. Like everything else, I'm guessing PD has some bearing on the order
  5. At the same time, the service center orders your files and requests that they be delivered to the district office
  6. When your district office has interview capacity, it pulls applications from the queue - the variations in DO backlogs come from here.
  7. At this point, your files may or may not have arrived at the district office. If they don't get there in time - Boom, you are rescheduled (this is no fun at all).
  8. Somewhere about this time, the district office takes control of your application and the service center stops actively tracking your application
  9. If all goes well, you get an interview
  10. In Dallas, if you pass, and there is oath ceremony capacity available, you will get the oath letter before you leave the interview. Otherwise, you should get an oath letter 4-6 weeks later

I'm not an expert, but I've been lurking or contributing to this forum for more than a year. Some of the above is direct observation, some comes from queries during InfoPass appointments (5 in the past year), some comes from the intutition of someone who has been in the software business for 25 years. None of it is official.

The important thing is to keep your application on the fast track - if you fall off of it (name check, file mis-routing, rescheduling, whatever), your application can fall in to the "we'll get to this when we get around to it". Mine stayed there for about 5 months last year.

What measure did you take to actively track it?

Well, my N-400 application, which was breezing along (PD in mid-September 2005 and interview scheduled for early May 2006) hit a wall when the USCIS descheduled it.

In the end, it turned out that the USCIS hadn't delivered my file to the Dallas DO in time and so they descheduled my interview. However, it took 4 infopasses and the intervention of the offices of my congressman and Sen Kay Bailey Hutchison to find out what was going on and to get it back on track. Had the Senator's office not intervened, I'd probably still have an expired GC in my pocket. Luckily, with that intervention, I was able to get an interview and took they oath right before Thanksgiving last year. So, I'm not expert on what to do - only on what can go wrong.

My experience with my daughter's N-600 has been equally disheartening. My wife's interview (early May) and oath (June 1) happened on schedule and my then 17-year-old daughter got automagic citizenship. We expedited a passport for her in June. Then we submitted an N-600. That was the end of June. Ouside of a frustrating InfoPass last month (see the last thread I started) we've heard nothing. The Dallas DO claims to be processing August or September N-600s - but ours is in limbo. Who knows why? N-600s would seem to be particularly easy to process - no FPs, no name check; the officer only has to inspect a handful of documents (birth certificate, marriage certificate, green card and something that proves parent and child live together (in our case, matching TX drivers licences)) and say "oh, ok".

Oh well. The only thing you can really do is sit back and look in your (USPS) mail box each day. Unless you are *very* far behind schedule, it's hard to enlist someone to your cause. If we don't hear anything about my daughter's N-600, I'll probably start writing letters soon. I *really* want this to get settled before she heads off to University in the late summer.

I've been anxiously looking in my mail box *every* day since mid-September, 2005. It's getting a little old.

Well, my N-400 application, which was breezing along (PD in mid-September 2005 and interview scheduled for early May 2006) hit a wall when the USCIS descheduled it.

In the end, it turned out that the USCIS hadn't delivered my file to the Dallas DO in time and so they descheduled my interview. However, it took 4 infopasses and the intervention of the offices of my congressman and Sen Kay Bailey Hutchison to find out what was going on and to get it back on track. Had the Senator's office not intervened, I'd probably still have an expired GC in my pocket. Luckily, with that intervention, I was able to get an interview and took they oath right before Thanksgiving last year. So, I'm not expert on what to do - only on what can go wrong.

My experience with my daughter's N-600 has been equally disheartening. My wife's interview (early May) and oath (June 1) happened on schedule and my then 17-year-old daughter got automagic citizenship. We expedited a passport for her in June. Then we submitted an N-600. That was the end of June. Ouside of a frustrating InfoPass last month (see the last thread I started) we've heard nothing. The Dallas DO claims to be processing August or September N-600s - but ours is in limbo. Who knows why? N-600s would seem to be particularly easy to process - no FPs, no name check; the officer only has to inspect a handful of documents (birth certificate, marriage certificate, green card and something that proves parent and child live together (in our case, matching TX drivers licences)) and say "oh, ok".

Oh well. The only thing you can really do is sit back and look in your (USPS) mail box each day. Unless you are *very* far behind schedule, it's hard to enlist someone to your cause. If we don't hear anything about my daughter's N-600, I'll probably start writing letters soon. I *really* want this to get settled before she heads off to University in the late summer.

I've been anxiously looking in my mail box *every* day since mid-September, 2005. It's getting a little old.

Hi Flydog, I am with you. I am also checking my mail box for a good reply from USCIS Dallas office on N600. BTW can you give the link for your N600 forum ...