Dallas TX - N-400 Timeline -

Just wanted to give an update...

My wife received the Interview Letter today for an interview on 6/05/2007

Got a question regarding Selective Service Registration....

I was on F1 when I entered into the U.S and then on H1 up until I was 31 year old. I then got my I485 approval when I was 31. Will I need the Selective Service Registration Letter during my interview indicating that I didn't ever need to register?

If so, what at all do I need to send them for proof?

My interview letter ahsn't arrived yet but I am just trying to be proactive.

I was on F1 when I entered into the U.S and then on H1 up until I was 31 year old. I then got my I485 approval when I was 31. Will I need the Selective Service Registration Letter during my interview indicating that I didn't ever need to register?

I am in the similar situation. Entered US on H1 at the age of 26 and was in US on H1 until age 28. At the age of 28 my I-485 was aproved and I got GC. I already got my interview letter. It has a document checklist included (list of docs to bring for the interview). One of the items requires evidence of the SS registration (even though I was not required to register since I was older then 26 at the time of getting GC).
Even before getting my IL based on advices from this forum I went on SSS website, printed out SIL (status info letter) request form, filled it out, included copies of relevant docs, and mailed it (about a week ago). Waiting for response from SSS.
Hope it helps.

I am in the similar situation. Entered US on H1 at the age of 26 and was in US on H1 until age 28. At the age of 28 my I-485 was aproved and I got GC. I already got my interview letter. It has a document checklist included (list of docs to bring for the interview). One of the items requires evidence of the SS registration (even though I was not required to register since I was older then 26 at the time of getting GC).
Even before getting my IL based on advices from this forum I went on SSS website, printed out SIL (status info letter) request form, filled it out, included copies of relevant docs, and mailed it (about a week ago). Waiting for response from SSS.
Hope it helps.

^ Can you please send me the list of docs/papers you sent to SS?

Last edited by a moderator:
^ Can you please send me the list of docs/papers you sent to SS?

1. Copy of my passport page with H1 visa and POE dated entry stamp
2. Copy of my I-485 approval notice (notice of action)
3. Copy of my GC
4. SIL request form

As you entered US with a H1, you need to send them a copy H1 stapm in your passport and any other relevant documents(i.e. employment verification records since you entered US, copy of your GC) indicative of your presence in the US. I went throughthe same thing, except that I entered with a F1 and had to send them all sort of other things (degrees, transcripts, F1, H1, GC...).
It takes them two to three weeks to issue you the letter. Make sure to call them after a week or so to follow up.

Asitel,
Did you and your spouse send your n400 together and asked for the files to be kept together? Wondering why your spouse has not received her IV letter yet

Asitel,
Did you and your spouse send your n400 together and asked for the files to be kept together? Wondering why your spouse has not received her IV letter yet

We did send them together. How do you ask for the files to be kept together?

My N-400 priority date is Nov. 13, 2006 at VERMONT SERVICE CENTER but my District office is at Buffalo, New York. I still have not received any IL yet. Did anyone here receive the IL from Buffalo, NY district recently? I don’t know why it takes so long for district to process the N-400.
Thanks if someone can list the timeframe for N-400 at Buffalo, NY.

While it did not clearly mention about H1s but per the fast facts published on the SSS website, it appears that males who were under 26 when first entered US ,but not on F1 visa, must register. On a safe side, people who entered US on H1 and were under 26 yrs of age, should request a copy of their SSS information.

Posted on SSS website under Fast Facts:

WHO MUST REGISTER
Almost all male U.S. citizens, and male aliens living in the U.S., who are 18 through 25, are required to register with Selective Service. It's important to know that even though he is registered, a man will not automatically be inducted into the military. In a crisis requiring a draft, men would be called in sequence determined by random lottery number and year of birth. Then, they would be examined for mental, physical and moral fitness by the military before being deferred or exempted from military service or inducted into the Armed Forces.

NON-CITIZENS
Some non-citizens are required to register. Others are not. Noncitizens who are not required to register with Selective Service include men who are in the U.S. on student or visitor visas, and men who are part of a diplomatic or trade mission and their families. Almost all other male noncitizens are required to register, including illegal aliens, legal permanent residents, and refugees. The general rule is that if a male noncitizen takes up residency in the U.S. before his 26th birthday, he must register with Selective Service. For a more detailed list of which non-citizens must register,

Too many people with too many answers.

- I was born in 71.
- Entered into the U.S in '93, when I was 22 on F1
- Received my H1 in 97 when I was 26
- Received my I485 Approval in 2002 when I was 31

Do I or do I not need the letter?

- I was born in 71.

Asif2000, you don't need the SSS letter, cheers!

Don't take people's opinion..just read thro the documentation on the SSS website..and analyse... They did not clearly mention H1s not needed to apply SSS. But they specifically said about the F1s.

You said, you got H1 when you were 26, right? Did you get your H1 after 26th Birthday or before? If you got the H1 before, you turn 26, ask the SSS people directly and clarify. If you have to take the people's opinion here, you never be fully out of confusion.... this is just like people discussing on when to apply USC ...on the 90 calendar days before or 90 working days before..inclusive or exclusive of 90th day etc...it goes on like that...so better to confirm with the officials...if you really want to get out of it....

if you turned 26 and then got H1...just forget about the SSS.

- I was born in 71.

My OPT started in December of 1996 and my goal was to get the H1 before the OPT ended in December of 1997. So during this time, I got the H1. I know that I got it way before the OPT expired but not sure exactly which month. So it may have been before or after my 26th birthday. I will have to check when I get home. I will let you know.

Relax Asif, you do not need SSS registration. F1 and H1 are considered within the same broad category of non-immigrant visa and since you were 31 by the time you got your GC, you are fine.

Has anyone received on the mail the letter for the Oath Ceremony on 5/22 yet?

My wife and I both passed our interview on 1/26/07. My wife received her letter and attended the 4/4/07 ceremony. I have yet to get mine.

I scheduled an Infopass for 4/9/07 and the officer told me that everything was in order and 100% approved on 2/27/07. She told me to wait for the letter. Anyone with a similar experience?

Relax Asif, you do not need SSS registration. F1 and H1 are considered within the same broad category of non-immigrant visa and since you were 31 by the time you got your GC, you are fine.

Yes Asif, ap74mo is absolutely right. I had entered US on H1 at age 23 and confered with SSS and I was not required to register. In the SIL instructions, F1 is just cited as an example of a non-immigrant status and is at the category as H1 or B1 or TN or G4 or any other non-immigration Visa whose proof you are supposed to provide to SSS for getting the SIL. I did take the Status Information Letter (which validates that I was not required to register) and to be on the safer side you can do the same if the time allows.

I am in the same boat as u fconde..Exactly same. My wife oath was on 4/4 and i took infopass and they told me everything is 100% done just waiting to be scheduled for oath. I haven't received my oath letter yet. Please update if you recieve oath letter