crossing border with Advanced parole

No Title

Hi DontWorry,

Thanks so much for your advice. One thing I am not certain about is - if I do get advanced parole and I am in I-485 ( I have applied for GC ), can I come back to the U.S. using just the advanced parole? Or do I have to have some kind of VISA on my passport ? Would a U.S. immigration officer care that I am going to Canada to "land"? I plan to drive over from Seattle.

Remember, my passport is not common-wealth.

Once again - thanks for your great help.

No Title

Hi Emo Agop,
Your advance parole is your visa. You need your passport and advance parole to reenter the country. You don\'t need any thing else. If you go through all my explanations in this discussion you get all other details.

Good luck

DW

No Title

Hi eikdil,

If you want to come back and start working in the US, your AP is the right thing to use. Don\'t use your Canadian PR if you are re-entering the country permanently. There is nothing to worry about finding your status when you were a student. Even after you were out of status during your F-1, you got your H-1, applied for green card, and, the way you are talking, you got your EAD and AP also. If the INS wanted, they would have denied your H-1 itself. Am I right? Let me tell you my strong feeling at the INS office at border crossing. They only care about whether you have proper documents to re-enter the country. They don\'t care about your history. Because, checking one\'s history is not a part of there job unless they suspect you as a criminal. Take my words, absolutely there is no problem. You just pack-up and move down. Once you cross the border you realize why the hell you got scared so much, and feel like kicking yourself.

Let me know your experience once you come here.

Good luck.

DW

No Title

Dontworry, what\'s ur email address? Thanks again for all your help
Can I write to you directly?

Thanks
eikdil

No Title

Hello Dontworry,
I recently became a landed immigrant of Canada and then used my advance parole to reenter USA. The INS officer stamped the advance parole and my passport and saw the Canadian immigration stamp and showed it to his superviser. His superviser told me that I can\'t be permannet resident of two countries and this could affect my I-485 application in USA. He also told me that Canadian immigration officer may not allow me to reenter Canada whe they see the Advance parole/AOS stamp on my passport. I also believe he xeroxed my passport (or am I being paranoid). My attorney in USA told me that I should not worry as long as I continue to work and live in USA and that I am required to make a decision only when my US PR is approved. Can you give me any advise? Should I risk going back to Canada (I am yet to apply for social insurance etc) How I explain my Advance parole to Canadian immigration officer.
Thanks
Imran

No Title

Hi Imran,
In my case the INS officer told me that I should inform the Canadian autorities once I get my US green card. He also told me that I could not be a permanent resident of two countries simultaneously.

In your case, What the supervisor and your lawyer told you were correct.

You should not worry about taking xerox copy of your passport. My strong advice is don\'t go to Canada again, to apply for SIN card. I think you loose your Canadian PR once you stay out of Canada for more than six months. How ever, you can extend your stay, out of Canada, more than the six months by writing a letter to Canadian authorities.
Once you get your GC here you can always return it or allow it to lapse.

DW

No Title

Hi DontWorry1,
Thanks a lot for your reply, it has certainly stopped me from worrying. Could you elaborate a little on your advice not to go back to Canada. Why do you think it would be risky?. Let me explain to you my situation. I took my Canadian PR only 10 days back and then came back to USA immidiately to dispose off a few things. Do you think Canadian immigration officer could deny me an entry into Canada just because I have applied for US green card (Even though US side didnot have any problem with me applying for Canadian PR). Also even if I apply for a returning resident permit how long can I delay applying for SIN card. Thanks again for your interest in this matter.
Imran

No Title

For me It took 20 minutes at the Toronto Airport. Immigration officer took all the papers and asked me to seat out side. After some time he came with the stamp passport and documents and returned to me.

No Title

Hi Imran,
Generally when you enter the US with your parole, and you have your Canadian PR, the INS officer at the border stamps and writes on your passport on the page where Canadian authorities stamped when you entered Canada on the PR (In my case that is true. I am assuming the same in your case and so about others). Based on my assumption, if you re-enter Canada on Canadian PR, it is possible the Canadian officer checks both your Canadian PR paper and the page of your passport on which you have both Canadian and US stamps. Then you will be exposed. Hopefully nothing will happen, but you may be subject to unnecessary questioning, and I don\'t know where that will lead to.

As far as applying for SIN card, you can apply any time as long as you reentered Canada with your valid Canadian PR.

Good luck !

DW

No Title

Imran Khan,
Can you please tell me which was your port of entry in Canada?
and what was your port of entry in USA?
Did you fly or drive to Canada?
Also when they gave you a new I-94 for AP , did they also stamp your
passport?

No Title

Thanks a lot again DontWorry. I entered through Buffalo in a rental car. I got a new I-94 and passport was also stamped with advance parole.
Imran Khan

No Title

Hi everybody
 I am canadian PR from last six months. I have got H1 and landed in
 USA.How I can maintain my Canadian PR and work in USA ????
  Does my family loose PR status if I am in USA and they are in Canada.????

Jppd

No Title

Dontworry,

Does INS officer also write on the Canadian landing Paper as well as on the same page of passport when entering on AP , or just on the same page on passport as Canadian stamp

thanks

No Title

Hayoot,
did INS officer write the date on your passort and Canadian landing papers since you hold Canadian PR, and entered on AP?

thanks

No Title

Hi eikdil,
Please go back and read my previous experience. You get an answer for your doubt. You keep repeating the same questions. It looks no amount of explanation can convince you. I am sorry, I don\'t have patience to convince you. Please don\'t waste my time. Do what ever you feel like doing.

Good luck man.

DW