crossing border with Advanced parole

eikdil

Registered Users (C)
Did anyone have experience crossing border into USA from Canada using US Advanced parole?

Please share your experience

thanks

No Title

Yes, I have quite an experince on that, I have a pending I-485 application (4 years old), I applied for a Canadian permanent residency, and got it in 8 months, I have dual nationalities (from two small countries you probably never heard of), well, the story is, when I first enter Canada, I stoped at the US boarders before departure in order to surrender my I-94, it turned out that I don\'t have to do so, the US official asked me to show my passport, and tehy hit the roof when they didn\'t find a Canadian isitirs visa stamped, they figured out that I am going there to do teh landing, so, tehy called teh Canadian side, and notified them of teh situation, this situation is nit against any law, anyway, when you first enter the USA with the advance parole, they take you to the office, and let you wait for mver an hour untill they verify the documents you have, then, they stamp your passport and teh advance parole, the second time you enter the US they just look at the stamped parole, and teh passport, and let you go, no new stamps required, just don\'t surrender your I-94 when you are leaving teh USA

No Title

does anyone know if I can use just EAD card to enter USA from Canada, anyone has experience in that?

thanks

Regards,

eikdil

No Title

No, you cannot enter using your EAD card. You
have to have a parole. Last month I moved back
to the US with the help of parole. It took me
about 20 minutes at the border.

No Title

Why it took you 20 minutes on AP?

What is the best way to cross border into USA from Canada?

Regards,

eikdil

No Title

When I told the immigration officer at the border that I was using my advance parole to enter the US, she took all my papers and passport and told me to go inside and wait. I went inside and waited for them to call me. After about 20 minutes another officer called me and handed back my passport and all parole papers along with new I-94 and a new entry on my passport. That was it. I was let in.

AP is the right way to enter back into the US, and to start working using your EAD card. If you have Canadian PR, you can enter the US temporarily. Of course you can stay back and start working, since the employer only cares about your EAD. But, you are taking a chance by doing that.

Another suggestion is that, enter the US with your Canadian PR, apply for parole by giving any of your friend\'s address and go back to Canada. Once you get your parole tell your friend to send the papers to you in Canada, then enter with the parole.

Note: To enter the US with Canadian PR, without visa, you must be a citizen of a common wealth country. If you are an Indian, then there is no problem since India is a common wealth nation.

Caution: At any cost don\'t try to enter the US by showing just your EAD card. EAD card is not your visa.

Good luck.

DW

No Title

Thanks for the information.
Now, I need to know what kind of questions i can expect when entering USA using my Canadian PR? I am from common wealth country.

Will they give me any problem? Should I mention that I have AP also, will they check my previous status in USA?

What would you suggest?

Thanks so much
Regards,

eikdil

No Title

I entered the US three times. The first two times using my Canadian PR and the third time by parole. I drove down all the three times. I entered the US through Buffalo (this answser is for you Sarah).

When I entered the US, an INS official checked my passport and canadian papers. He asked me where I was working in canada, where I was going in the united states, when I would be coming back, and why I was going.I told them I was going on vacation and when I would be coming back. He checked my passport and saw all those old F-1, H-1 multiple entry stamps, and asked me which status I was when I was in the US. I told him I was on H-1. That was it. He didn\'t even stamp my passport.

Don\'t be shaky, there is absolutely nothing to worry; and every thing will be OK.

Just to be safe carry some documents, just in case, to show your stay in Canada, like pay stubs, apartment contract, Bank statement, telephone bill etc.

when I entered the US for the second time, the same above questions and the same above answers. Don\'t ever say you are coming here to apply for advance parole.

Please post your experience here. Let me know how it went.

I hope my experience helps you, and good luck.

DW

No Title

Hello Dontworry,

You are the right person to ask this question, I will be landing
in Canada with my wife ( me : with valid H1 from old company and
new approval notice , wife: with valid H4 and new H1 approval
notice ) , after we return following the interviews that we have
scheduled, do we enter with out canadian PR and H1 approval notices
or do we enter on the basis on the not submitted I-94s since we
would be in canada for only a week or so ??

thanks a lot in adv
tt tt

No Title

Hi tt tt,
Since you are landing in Canada and going to come back after a week, it is always good to come back with your H-1 multipe entry visas.
If you have multiple entries through your old H-1 and H-4(for your wife) use them. Don\'t show new H-1s at the border. Or, If you want to take multiple entry visas using your new H-1s, go to any US consulate in Canada. You don\'t need to take any appointment in the US consulate in advance by calling that 1-900- number since, now, both of you are canadian residents.

If you want to come back using Canadian PR, think twice. Because you are staying in Canada only for a week, there is no way you can convince the INS people at the border that you are returing to the US temporarily. You don\'t have any thing like apartment rental agreement, phone bill etc. to prove that you have permanent address in Canada.

And, one more thing, which I am not quite sure, since you have Canadian PRs you can get your multiple entries at the border itself while coming back. Talk to your lawyer. If what I am saying is correct then you don\'t even need to go to any US consulate in Canada.

Good luck.

No Title

Hi,

You seem to be well aware of most Canada/US issues. I am currently on H1-B, in I-140 processing and also processing a Canadian PR at the same time. The Canadian PR is almost there and I need to ask you this:

Once I get the Canadian PR, how can I go to Canada and establish PR ( for a week ), then come back to the U.S. and continue my work and GC processing. I will probably be in I-485 by the time I have to go to Canada, but possible to be in I-140 too.

I have a non-common wealth passport.

Many thanks in advance!

No Title

Hello Dontworry, does this mean we hang on to our I-94s and use
them to cross into the country. Since in my case I have the
valid H1 from prev company and new H1 status from my new company\'s
approval notice , so I am ok , but in my wife\'s case she has an
H4 visa but would be on H1 status since she applied for a COS after
coming here into the country, so her approval notice I94 is the
only thing that tells about her H1 status ? am I correct ?
In which case if she enters on the H4 visa , she would not
be allowed to work once again :( , until she renters with an H1
stamp from outside the country .... ????

thanks for your detailed reply
regards
tt tt

No Title

Hello tt tt,
just because your wife\'s status changed from H-4 to H-1, it does not mean she has to go out of the country and enter once again before starting to work. That notion is wrong. Let me tell you about one of my colleagues\' case. She came to the country on H-4, got her H-1, worked for nearly two years before she went to India. She got her multiple entry from US consulate in India.

And one more thing, let me ask you a question. What if your wife does not want to work even though she got her H-1? One can have any number of H-1s, and that H-1 comes into effect once the person starts working.

I hope this helps.

Good luck.

DW

No Title

Hello tt tt,
What ever I have written is my honest suggestions and opinions. Don\'t consider this as legal advice, because I am not a lawyer. You adopt which ever suits your requirement better.

Good luck.

DW

No Title

Hello Emo Agop,
since you don\'t hold common wealth country passport, once you enter Canada there is no way you can come back unless you have US visa.

You can go to any US consulate and get your multiple entry visa. But, my sincere suggestion is apply for parole, along with I-485. You get the parole in 3-4 weeks then land in Canada and come back with your parole. If you go to US consulate in Canada, there is a chance that you may not get your multiple entry since you have applied for Green card (I am guessing). How do they know you have applied for green card? When you fill up the form in the US consulate, I think, one of the questions is, have you applied for GC?

Good luck!

DW

No Title

Hello DW..thank you so much for your detailed explanations.
I think it might be safest for us to go and come back when our
visas are "valid".. I had emailed the montreal and vancouver
consulates for their take on this and they said the same
official things that you could be let back in the US on the
basis on your I-94 but why dont you get your visas updated.
you are right about my wife starting to work as well... she
does not need to get a stamp to work and since we will
hang on to the I-94s her I-94 number will be same as the attached
one on her H4-H1 COS application. :)
thanks for your help once again
tt tt

No Title

Hello DontWorry,
What is your suggestion for a person who has a Canadian landing immigrant status, and advanced parole and Work authorization card from USA.

If that person may have been out of status previously on F-1 visa in USA.

If he wants to come back to USA via Canadian border, should he use his advanced parole/Work authorization or Canadian landing status assuming he is from common wealth country? What are the risks involved

Please advice

Thanks
Regards,
eikdil

No Title

Hi eikdil,
That\'s exactly my case, except that I was not out of status on F-1(student). I worked in Canada for some time since I was a landed immigrant. I had to move out of the US because my H-1 had ended and my Canadian PR was expiring soon unless I landed. Instead of sitting at home waiting for my work permit, I decided to go to Canada and work there for some time. Before leaving I had applied for I-485, work permit, and parole. I gave my friend\'s address. I got my parole and EAD card. Even though I got my parole and EAD card, I did not move back because, as usual, at the year end the job market was slow. I moved with my parole last month. At the border they only care about your parole but not your EAD card. At the border, I did not show my EAD card, and they did not even ask. They only took my parole papers.

Regarding your status during your F-1, if the INS comes to know about your out of status, before issuing green card, they may ask you to pay some penalty. That\'s all.

Since you have your parole, I strongly suggest you to use your parole if you are returning permanently.

It seems, you are too worried about your out of status during your F-1. Don\'t be paranoid. Don\'t think all those unnecessary negative things. Nothing will happen. You are one in a million. After all you did not come to the country illegally by jumping border fences. For your lawyer your kind of problem is only a minor issue. He will take care of it.

Be bold. Good luck.

DW

No Title

hi, Dontworry,
I am not worried about adjusting my status and paying penalty later on.
I am only worried how and if INS finds out about my previous status when crossing border into USA?

What will be the best way, weather using my Advanced parole, or my Canadian landed status and not to mention that I applied for green card in USA?

thanks again :)