crossing american/canadian border

Spacy said:
I have one last question: I don't understand something! If you cross the canadian border from the U.S and then you come back, how are they supposed to know how long you have been in Canada? You can stay more than six months there if americans don't check your exit from the US!
-------------if you enter Canada with GC then you can stay only 6 months in Canada

Do they ask you questions when you enter Canada like "how long have you been outside outside the U.S?" etc...
-----------------when you enter Canada the Canada immigration dont ask "how long have you been outside outside the U.S" but when you enter US then US officer at POE askes""how long have you been outside outside the U.S"

Yes but how would he know I didnt stay more than 6 months? There is no stamp on the passeport saying I went out, nor an americain checkpoint before entering Canada!

Spacy said:
Yes but how would he know I didnt stay more than 6 months?
----------who is that "He"?
There is no stamp on the passeport saying I went out, nor an americain checkpoint before entering Canada!
--------- do you mean that when enter Canada from US you dont get stamp ? yes you dont get stamp if enter Canada by border post. if asked by US immigration you have to give proof that you were not out of US more than 6 months.

i have done enough border crossings!

hi
my experience is limited to newyork/vermont borders......(guess not much difference for other POEs)

i always give GC and driving license ONLY. - both US and canadian side

scenario 1:
the canadian agent can scan ur green card too ( dont ask me how - i have seen them doing it) - and top of that they type something
questions vary :
how long ur going to stay in canada ( almost always)
where do u live (almost always)
where r u going
where r u statying
who are u meeting
when is the last time u visited canada
what do u do for work
where were u born
(some customs related questions : like r u bringing alcohol/tobacco/gifts..)

scenario 2:
subset of questions above - but no scanning of greencard

US SIDE: (98% they scan ur GC) - never asked passport
when did u leave US
where do u live
where do u work
whose car is it
how long have u been PR
(if u are with soemone - how do u know him/her)
(custom related Qs - bringing meat/vegetables etc)