Crap!! 1 year Drivers License...

Lazer,

Just wait a month or so and then go back there and tell them you lost your DL. Show them ONLY your stamped I-94 and asylum approal letter(don't show them anything which expires). I am pretty sure they will issue you a normal one then. I just got mine this year good for 5 yrs. I ONLY took I-94 and Asylum approval and that was enough.

Lazerthegreat,

I would wait at this time because if you ask for license changed it may ignite the staff...besides, the chances to win are little. Next time go to MV regional office and show them SS and other documents that do not state temporarily status….I have heard that it has been a proven fact and I hope it will work for you as well

LenJ said:
Lazerthegreat,

I would wait at this time because if you ask for license changed it may ignite the staff...besides, the chances to win are little. Next time go to MV regional office and show them SS and other documents that do not state temporarily status….I have heard that it has been a proven fact and I hope it will work for you as well

Thanks lenJ! yeah I would wait for a little while before taking action... I am sooooo fed up of all this non-sense.

New York doesn't ask any immigration papers when renewing a License.This fuckin' law was blocked by New York state congres in Albany.Presentation of immigration papers only applies to new applicants.

cadel said:
New York doesn't ask any immigration papers when renewing a License.This fuckin' law was blocked by New York state congres in Albany.Presentation of immigration papers only applies to new applicants.
NYS asks for the SSN, which can classify your statue.

I renewed my license here in New York city .The DMV officer asked for the expired license.That's it.If they asked you a SS to renew a licence here in New York,the officer pissed on you.You would sue him/her.A friend of mine who's illegal has renewed his DL with no problem and no restriction,cause he got it before the real ID.

cadel said:
I renewed my license here in New York city .The DMV officer asked for the expired license.That's it.If they asked you a SS to renew a licence here in New York,the officer pissed on you.You would sue him/her.A friend of mine who's illegal has renewed his DL with no problem and no restriction,cause he got it before the real ID.

I am going to New york this weekend. Maybe I can have it reneewed from there.
Cadel! how long your license is valid? and what documents they asked from you?

Lazer -
Did you get "TEMPERARORY VISITOR" line in your driver's license?

I don't know for other states, but in NY DMV's are very eager to stamp it right and left in red huge letters for everybody who are not citizens/gc holders.

As a matter of fact we will try to go around this next week for my wife.

solovei said:
Lazer -
Did you get "TEMPERARORY VISITOR" line in your driver's license?

I don't know for other states, but in NY DMV's are very eager to stamp it right and left in red huge letters for everybody who are not citizens/gc holders.

As a matter of fact we will try to go around this next week for my wife.

No! it looks like anybody elses drivers license; its just valid for one year... No extra remarks or restrictions...

Lazerthegreat,my renewed license runs from 2005 to 2013( 8 years ).When renewing,just forwarded my expired New York state driver license.You have an out of state DL,and you need to bring along with you your state license,proof of your new York state as new Residence( utility bill with your name on or pay stub or letter from your employer in New York...)Because this is gonna be your first time,you're gonna need immigration papers.Just bring your approval letter and your I-94 to get an unrestricted License for 4 or 8 years depends on how much money you want to spend for.If you bring work aut or RTD,they give you a license for also 4 or 8 years but with this title:TEMPORARY VISITOR,EXPIRE,on_____2005(expiration date of your immigration document).This means,your license is still good for 4 or 8 years.But you're out of status and need to drive with your renewed immigration document or go back to DMV to change the expiration date of your status on your DL.Again,they're not gonna give you a licence for montshs or a year.It's a regular licence for 4 or 8 years.They only put down on your licence,the duration of your immigration status.this means,if you can't renew your immigration papers anymore,you're illigal and can't drive any more despite your 4 or 8 year validity on your license.But this is not your case anyway.This is for people with expiring status.