CR1 Montreal .. awaiting passport

kidcash83

Registered Users (C)
Hello,
My wife had her interview in Montreal for CR1 visa. The interview went well. The visa was issued by the officer but since she didn't have her passport with her, as it was being made, the officer gave her a sheet with the only requirement of presenting a valid Canadian Passport. Upon coming back to Toronto, she mailed the passport the very next day and it was received by the consulate a day later. The passport was sent through DHL. Does anyone know how long does it normally take for the consulate to stamp visa on the passport and return it back. She had her interview on June 6, 2011 and we still haven't heard back from the consulate.
Thanks

Was a return envelope sent to the US consulate?

Hello,
My wife had her interview in Montreal for CR1 visa. The interview went well. The visa was issued by the officer but since she didn't have her passport with her, as it was being made, the officer gave her a sheet with the only requirement of presenting a valid Canadian Passport. Upon coming back to Toronto, she mailed the passport the very next day and it was received by the consulate a day later. The passport was sent through DHL. Does anyone know how long does it normally take for the consulate to stamp visa on the passport and return it back. She had her interview on June 6, 2011 and we still haven't heard back from the consulate.
Thanks

It is my understanding that when a person signs up on the consulate visa website, they use that information to mail the passport back. When processing is complete, the consulate mails the package back to the DHL location and then that DHL location contacts the individual. The consulate does not mail the package to the individual. And the only way of tracking the package is if the consulate updates the website with the waybill number. The following are the instructions on US visa website:

"If the visa application is approved and/or the Consular Section needs to return documents to the applicant, these documents will be sent using DHL. The documents will be sent – at no cost to the applicant – to the DHL branch that the applicants selected at the moment of booking the appointment (or registered for Courier Services).

Following the appointment, applicants may check this website for the status of the return of the documents and waybill number. Once the documents are ready for pickup, the applicants must bring the waybill number and official identification to the selected courier location to retrieve the documents."

But to answer your question, no i didn't add a return envelope in the package unless the DHL person did himself without me noticing it.

When did you finally get the passport back?
I am eagerly waiting for mine and can't stop worrying.
Thanks a lot!

When did you finally get the passport back?
I am eagerly waiting for mine and can't stop worrying.
Thanks a lot!

If your case is similar to mine, then in that case my wife got her passport back in exactly 5 weeks. So far every time we sent a document, we received a reply back from NVC or in this case consulate in 5 weeks. I would suggest to not worry about it too much. If you had to send in another document other than your passport, then it might take a little longer but that is only an assumption. My research regarding this has so far told me that if during interview you were not told that a document other than your passport is required to get you a visa or they didn't specifically say your case is now under AP then you should be fine. There are a lot of cases and it just takes a bit time. Hope this helps. If you have more questions, do ask.

Thanks for your response.
I actually had an appointment at the consulate, the last appointment. At the end of the appointment, I was told that I would receive my passport shortly. It's been more than 10 days now, and I read that some people received it within 3 days. It says on the document I was given that I may expect my passport within 2 weeks.
I am just wondering if other people waited as long after the appointment.

My plane is leaving Canada tomorrow and I will have to cancel my flight. Sucks...

Thanks in advance!

Last edited by a moderator:
Where do they send the returned passport?

If your case is similar to mine, then in that case my wife got her passport back in exactly 5 weeks. So far every time we sent a document, we received a reply back from NVC or in this case consulate in 5 weeks. I would suggest to not worry about it too much. If you had to send in another document other than your passport, then it might take a little longer but that is only an assumption. My research regarding this has so far told me that if during interview you were not told that a document other than your passport is required to get you a visa or they didn't specifically say your case is now under AP then you should be fine. There are a lot of cases and it just takes a bit time. Hope this helps. If you have more questions, do ask.

Quick question... where do they send the passport to (DHL/Loomis Express or directly to your house?)? How do you know it's ready (email or does DHL contact you?).

Thanks, waiting for mine with travel on hold until I get it back.

John