CP in last stage- about to lose job

monu

Registered Users (C)
My green card is in the last stage . I expect to get the interview by Nov.
But my boss refuses to pay me after september( no budget) . He says he can do all that is possible to help me in other ways.
What should i do ?
work free till nov-dec?
Look around in another groups in the company.Unfortunately,not too many groups have jobs.
If i get the GC and he fires me after that, any legal problems with INS or not?
any advice is welcome.

while CP interview, they only check last 2-3 paystubs

If possible, you may want to conserve budgets by not asking for pay now, but making sure that you are paid in Sept-Nov period.

No Title

Thanks for the info. I will try to negotiate that as the time comes near.
Is there any requirement that I should work for the same employer for some period of time after I get the green card.I already know that the current group has no job for me , maybe I should start looking in other groups, atleast I will be in the same company.
Any advice is welcome.

Monu ... I think if I am not wrong u sent ur AC-140 to NWD on 6/21/02 ...

if this is true then you should get ur interview date by Sept/Oct and not November ...Delhi takes around 3 months from the time u send AC-140 packet to them to schedule the interview ....

Delhi is not really perticular about paystubs and one good option is not to take any pay for July-mid August and take it after that ...so u are then covered till end Nov (here I am assuming that u will be have job till Sept and then ur 1.5 months of cut can be paid in Oct/Nov) ... then u could actually leave for india on vacation ... After you get the GC its not that u "HAVE" to stay with the employer for x amount to time .... its just that its advisable to stay with the employer for 6 months or so ... if the economic condition doesn\'t let the employer/employee relationship to continue (involutary), then definitely u can switch employer or even be unemployed ....

I think you can play the situation it to ur advantage as you have job till Sept !!

hope this helped ...

Help -- Lost job

Hello CP gurus:
I have lost my client position and my CP was sent 6/11/02 to New Delhi. I am still employed at my consultancy however they cannot find me another client. Can I take a vacation and go to India and wait there. I am not sure if my company will give me any more paystubs. How critical is that ? Is there any hope ? What options do I have ? Please help...

going to India and waiting there will be a good option for you ....

but make sure that ur employer does have the intention of keeping u as an employee atleast till the time u come back from CP .... u will most likely get Sept ... If you haven't taken the last paystub, then try defferring it to somewhere near the interview ....

But all these options are a bit risky ... also remember that u have just lost a client and not ur job ! :) .. so an arrangement with ur employer will certainly help ur case.

but make sure that ur employer does have the intention of keeping u as an employee atleast till the time u come back from CP .... u will most likely get Sept ... If you haven\'t taken the last paystub, then try defferring it to somewhere near the interview ....

But all these options are a bit risky ... also remember that u have just lost a client and not ur job ! :) .. so an arrangement with ur employer will certainly help ur case.

staying in India is my preferred option

I feel that if one looses one\'s job, but their employer is willing to help them by at least giving a future employment letter, people should wait it out in India rather than here. Why? Well technically when one is "on the bench" while on an H1B Visa you are out of status. Now you need to declare out of status period during CP interview. Obviously no one declares it. So people are in effect lying under oath at the CP interview. If this comes to light any time later (due to INS becoming smart with their computers and data cross checking with other governmentt departments such as IRS, etc) then one\'s green card could potentially be cancelled years later on the basis of fraud. It is a remote possibility, but why should one take risks when there is no benefit in doing so, only potential catastrophic loss.

Lastly NWD is not askingpay slipsps now, what if they start asking for it because they know the current situation is bad, what with the unemployment at an all time high.

BTW, my consulate (not India) has asked me to bring a copy of my I-94 to prove that I have been in status. Minnesota is now proposing to use I-94 validity to issue temporary driving licenses to students, H1B, business visitors etc. I-94 date is a wrong choice, because one could be in valid status by I-94 stamped date, but one is out of status if they have lost their place at the college or a job. On the other hand one is still in status with an expired I-94 if they have filed for an extension for the H1B. It looks like other than the immigration lawyers and INS, no one understands if an alien is in status or not. No wonder the local police are not interested in policing illegal aliens!

Anyway good luck with your green card.

Sitting without a client

CP Gurus, I need some serious advice. I recently lost my client and my company is hesitant about paying bench. I havn't even claimed it since 3 weeks. My attorney sent the AC I-140 for CP to New Delhi more than a month ago but till date absolutely no response.

What to do now? I can get an employment letter from my company but I am not sure if I can get any recent pay-stubs. Is there a way to check for my application. I don't even know what case number is assigned for me? Should I stay here or go to India and wait there.

Please help !!!!!

difficult choice

It is a tough choice - staying here or going to India.
If you stay here, you are out of status. If you go back and wait it out, is there a guarentee that ex employer will give you a "RECENT" letter of employment. That is around a month prior to the interview. Being outside the US you might be in a fix if the employer makes nakra! But if you have confidence in receiving their support, I would go to India and wait.
What about negotiating unpaid leave?

Lastly different consulate use different methods of verifying status. I am leaving next week for my own interview in Sydney. They have asked me to bring a copy of my valid I-94 as proof of status. Indian consulates ask for payslips. If you were coming to Sydney you would be alright! :(

Delhi doesn't care about Paystubs ...

just needs the latest original H1B approval or an extension receipt ....

and ofcourse the Employment Letter !!! ;)

What about Packet 4

Thanks guys. I think I can get a recent employment letter whenever I ask for it, however I am very doubtful about recent paystubs.

I am concerned about Packet 4 that the consulate will mail here if I were to leave for India. Can I go to delhi and ask them to give me another copy there?

Re: What about Packet 4

Originally posted by dilwala
Thanks guys. I think I can get a recent employment letter whenever I ask for it, however I am very doubtful about recent paystubs.

I am concerned about Packet 4 that the consulate will mail here if I were to leave for India. Can I go to delhi and ask them to give me another copy there?

You can request the consulate to mail P4 in India. You probably have about 3 months before the interview. You can probably try to find a contract in that time (if your company keeps you on payroll if you find your own contract). I know of several people who have done that. Good luck!

4 month wait for delhi interview

Hi everyone,
To anyone in a time crunch, please rethink about using New delhi for CP because they will take at least 4 months after they get your p3. Already they have used up September. If at all possible go to bombay whihc is I think half the time 2 months. IF I had this inof at time of sending p3 I would have gone bombay. delhi has a lot of precedent of being slow so dont think that maybe you might be " lucky" and get in 2 months, it against the odds and please be realistic if you cant wait 4 months to get interview
vijay

Re: 4 month wait for delhi interview

Originally posted by svsarma
Hi everyone,
To anyone in a time crunch, please rethink about using New delhi for CP because they will take at least 4 months after they get your p3. Already they have used up September. If at all possible go to bombay whihc is I think half the time 2 months. IF I had this inof at time of sending p3 I would have gone bombay. delhi has a lot of precedent of being slow so dont think that maybe you might be " lucky" and get in 2 months, it against the odds and please be realistic if you cant wait 4 months to get interview
vijay

Can you really choose the consulate? In normal course you can not. I think AC140 cases, to some extent, can.

going to wait it out in delhi

guys, I think I am going to delhi and wait it out there. I am not at all hopeful that in this economy I will be able to find another client soon. Since my AC I-140 was received at NWD for CP on June 11, I suppose I can wait couple of months there and remain on vacation.

My company will give me the employment letter when needed. Now question is how to tell the consulate to mail me the Packet 4 in India rather than in US. Is that a problem ??

Re: going to wait it out in delhi

Originally posted by dilwala
guys, I think I am going to delhi and wait it out there. I am not at all hopeful that in this economy I will be able to find another client soon. Since my AC I-140 was received at NWD for CP on June 11, I suppose I can wait couple of months there and remain on vacation.

My company will give me the employment letter when needed. Now question is how to tell the consulate to mail me the Packet 4 in India rather than in US. Is that a problem ??

You can call/email the consulate requestiong them to mail the P4 at an Indian address.

if you are in delhi go and ask for a duplicate packet IV @ nwd. make sure before going from US you download and fill and complete packet IV.

you are set to go!!
indi