CP In Guang Zhou, China

no, not to go back twice...

I guess that's because the rule changed without the applicant being properly notified, that will be meaning more delays, I guess...

Please update your cases info so we could know when GZ starts to move again.

Actually, similar thing happened for 485 recently, people can't get their passports stamped on the same day of the interview, but have to wait and go back to the local INS office to pick it up after the security checks.

I will post my info. if there is any progress in my wife's case.

From the reply of GZ, it seems that they don't know how to deal this new requirement. They are also waiting for the guidance from US. Hope it is just a temp. situation.

October Interview Date??

Guys - there is a posting in China CP Yahoo! about a possible October interview date - his case reached GZ end of April, but was told the interview will be in October...

really really bad news, that's a long wait, almost the same as AOS.

it's just temporary

i think. GZ is in process of implememting a new procedure.
Once that's done, things will again move smoothly.
at least I believe so.
let's ee.

update on my case

F.Y.I.

Packet three received by STL 07/24
Money Order Cashed 07/30
Packet Three Received by NVC 08/12
Packet Three Reviewed 08/23/02
Packet Three Sent to GZ ?

see what GZ has to say

from the website of GZ consulate

"Visa Processing Delays
Since the terrorist attacks of September 11, 2001, the State Department has been engaged with other U.S. government agencies in an extensive and ongoing review of visa issuing practices as they relate to the security of our borders and our nation.

Through the use of supplemental application forms and other measures, visa applications are now subject to a greater degree of scrutiny than in the past. This scrutiny means that visa applications in some instances take longer to process to conclusion than has been customary. We recognize that individual applicants may experience inconvenience and hardship if their application takes longer to process than they expected. We are doing everything possible to meet the legitimate needs of prospective travelers consistent with the priority we must attach to our security and legal responsibilities.

While our consular officers strive to offer visa applicants as expeditious service as possible, their primary responsibility is to carry out U.S. law and to ensure that applicants to whom they issue visas will not pose a threat to the safety and security of the United States and its inhabitants. This is a serious responsibility that must take precedence over other considerations pertaining to a visa application.

We realize that these necessary security measures may affect the travel plans of visa applicants, especially individuals intending to enroll in or continue college and university studies in the United States. We will make every attempt to meet the legitimate needs of prospective travelers to the United States, consistent with the priority of our security and legal responsibilities. We recommend that individuals build in ample time before their planned travel date when seeking to obtain a visa.

Special security screening procedures affect a limited number of prospective travelers. Our goal is to have assured security within a system that is responsive to everyone wishing to visit the United States. However, delays in processing of visas will continue to occur as the Department of State, working with other agencies, brings new information systems on line. Responding to the attacks of September 11, 2001, Congress ordered that security inadequacies be identified and addressed. By legislative instruction, some of this work was specifically to be accomplished by the first anniversary of the attacks. That work is in course now in accordance with those instructions.

The time needed for adjudication of individual cases will continue to be difficult to predict, as necessary new procedures are refined. Visa applicants affected by these procedures are informed of the need for additional screening at the time of application and should expect substantial delays of six to eight weeks or more before a visa can be issued.

We trust that affected applicants will understand that this waiting period is necessary as we strive to make every effort to ensure the safety and security of the United States for all who are here, including foreign visitors..

so now we know that Department of State is implementing a new information system and is trying to meet the deadline of the first anniversary of 9.11. Hopefully, after this is done. everything will become better for us.

case update

Packet three received by STL 07/24
Money Order Cashed 07/30
Packet Three Received by NVC 08/12
Packet Three Reviewed 08/26/02
Packet Three Sent to GZ 09/04/02

Now keep my fingers crossed that cases will begin to move forward normally at GZ.

I doubt that GZ is doing any case. Sent an email to them on Monday, the reply is that still haven't processed the documents that I sent them three months ago.

Please help on packet 3!

I am going to pick up packet 3 from the attorney, to make sure I am getting everything, I need some help on what to ask for for packet 3:

Are these everything included in packet 3 from NVC:

1) DS230 Part I
2) Additional form
3) bar-coded envelope ?

thks

Reply from Guangzhou

My question is:

RE: On recent changes: do people already in the US has to go back to China twice?

The answer:

Due to changes in pre-interview clearance requirements, we may not be able to issue applicants visas until receiving notice from U.S. authorities. We cannot predict when we will receive notice.

Immigrant Visa Unit

It seems to me that it is because the pre-interview requirements were changed and effective immediately, which explains why many ppl can't get their visa right after interview...

newbie's question

I learned a lot from your posts. This make me feel more comfortable about CP. Could I say "if my case could be approved by AOS, it would be approved by CP had I chosed CP"?

I have 2 questions about CP:
I just filed my I140. The lawyer said I could still make decision to go for AOS or CP after filing I140. Is this possible? I read your msgs and knew you filed your I140 indicating choice of AOS or CP at the same time.

My 2nd question is: I worry about my job stability. On the one hand, I'd like choosing CP because it's faster. Maybe before I lost my job, I could have GC done. On the other hand, if I got laid off during CP process or having choosing CP but before CP case established, any backup steps I could take to stay legally in U.S.? What'll be impact on my future GC application if such things happen? This is one of concerns I have for going CP because I'm not sure about impact and backup steps as I know for AOS.

Thanks,

Here is the answer to your questions:

1. Indicate CP in your I-140; after approval, you can either file I-485 directly in case your change your mind, or go with CP. If you choose AOS in I-140, you will have to file I-824 with INS (long waiting again) to switch to CP...

2. AOS has a 180-day rule for changing jobs, but CP doesn't. If you lost your job during CP, say right before the interview, theoretically CP can't go through.

Any interviews for Oct, Nov and forward?

Vincent - did you hear anything on your case from GZ?

Re: from I140 Approval to Consulate receiving case

Hi !! /KKimm02

I know, You had given me a good advice on reconfirmation letter. Can you please sene me a sample copy of reconfirmation letter so that when they will receive my I-140 Approval from INS, I can send thorugh Fedex.

I would appreciate your help. My email id is shahdss@yahoo.com

Thanks

Dax..

Originally posted by vincentforever
Based on my personal experience and observation of others' cases, it only takes around 3 months from I-140 approval to your case reaches GZ. Plus the additional 3 to 4 months at GZ ( I have no authority over this since my case hasn't reached that stage yet, but this estimate should be fair), we are looking at 6 to 7 months from I140 approval to interview. If you know the time for I485 processing, you will know now that CP only takes about half the time. Another big plus for me, who is not a very patient person, is that CP allows me to track every step closely.

kkimm02,
I suggest that you mail in a letter right now and wait for a couple of weeks to talk to NVC operators again. Telling her/him that you have mailed in a letter and etc., s/he may show sympahty and let you fax s/he the letter to expedite the process. At least, this was what happened to me. OK?

Let me know if you need a sample confirmation letter.

Dax:

I know this reconfirmation letter is a big headache, what makes it worse is that they sent it to your lawyer, my lawyer wouldn't gave me the letter but just said they send it back, at about the same time, I had sent my self-drafted letter back, by Fedex and Fax...

When I spoke with NVC rep, I was told they received from the lawyer, so I guess mine didn't help at all.

I was told if your address is in the US, they will send this letter no matter if you have a G-28 (lawyer or agent).

The letter should include your case no.(which you can get from NVC), and your INS case number, your name, and dependents names, and your address.

good luck!