Counsular Processing - Montreal (New Born)

RunMore

Registered Users (C)
Hi There,

In a few months time I will be getting an interview call to visit Montreal for Counsular Processing. Most likely (God willing) I will have a child (Canadian Citizen) born to me and my wife by that time.

Question:
Would the child travel to US as a Canadian Citizen on Canadian Passport?

Or, is there a way to add him/her to the existing application.

If he/she travels to US on Canadian passport, how could we apply for his Green Card after landing in US?

On a side note, I am purposely delaying the Counsular Processing application (as I have the option) by not paying the required fee as I cannot move out of Canada for another year (to ensure Canadian Citizenship). Sought of also debating on weather to have the baby in US or in Canada....

Thanks,
Ranvir

Since your child will be born before your interview, my advice would be to have the birth in Canada. Once you are invited to Montreal, add your child to your GC application. Carry his/her birth certifcate to the interview. You will probably need to carry an amended DS-230. Should not be a problem.
Good luck!!!

That will be Employment based.

Hi SK Ghori,

What happens if the child is born after the interview?

What if he/she is born in Canada but before we make a landing? In this he will be a Canadian Citizen and should be able to travel to US on Canadian Passport.

And if the child is born in US than would be be able to travel back to Canada on US passport? There is a possibility that we might want to come back to Canada after landing in US. I underrstand maintaining US Green Card could be a problem for us if we stay in Canada, but have a decisions to make up here.

Thanks,
Ranvir

If you wife hasn't delivered by the time your immigrant visas are issued, then I would advise you strongly to land before the child is born. That will then allow you to bring in your child on a GC within the first two years of his/her birth.

What happens if the child is born after the interview?

What if he/she is born in Canada but before we make a landing? In this he will be a Canadian Citizen and should be able to travel to US on Canadian Passport.

And if the child is born in US than would be be able to travel back to Canada on US passport? There is a possibility that we might want to come back to Canada after landing in US. I underrstand maintaining US Green Card could be a problem for us if we stay in Canada, but have a decisions to make up here.

Thanks,
Ranvir

Please expand a little on the follwing:
That will then allow you to bring in your child on a GC within the first two years of his/her birth.

Do you mean PR? I will like to know more about this within the first 2 years piece. I understand you are talking about bringing the kid back to Canada, is that correct?
Thanks

You and your wife get US immigrant visas. Child is still unborn.
Next day you cross the border and use your immigrant visas.
After spending a few days in the US, you both come back to Canada.
The child is them born a few weeks/months later.
From that day, you have 2 years to bring the child to the US. On the first visit, the child will be processed for his/her GC.

Do you mean PR? I will like to know more about this within the first 2 years piece. I understand you are talking about bringing the kid back to Canada, is that correct?

Hi S K Ghori,

That is a very good option and might work for me. Thank You!!!

A few follow Up questions:
1). Is there a minimum amount of time that I need to stay in US after claiming immigration at the border? Any other processing that might need to be done before they send across the Green Card to my provided address (acqintance's).

2). How do I confirm this piece of information about the kid? That we can take him/her back to US within 2 years of age? (in light of your signature that your advice shouldn't be considered professional/legal)

3). How do we maintain US's GC while staying out of the country? Would a roundtrip from Canada to US every 6 month do the trick?

I really appreciate your prompt responses.

Thanks again!!!

A1: No such requirement
A2: Search this forum and USCIS. It is well documented and you are doing the right thing by not taking my word for it :)
A3: You say you have a year to go before becoming Canadian. So by the time you get your US green card, that time will be less than a year. In case you see a valid reason to prolong your stay in Canada (up to 2 years), look into getting a re-entry permit, form I-131.

1). Is there a minimum amount of time that I need to stay in US after claiming immigration at the border? Any other processing that might need to be done before they send across the Green Card to my provided address (acqintance's).

2). How do I confirm this piece of information about the kid? That we can take him/her back to US within 2 years of age? (in light of your signature that your advice shouldn't be considered professional/legal)

3). How do we maintain US's GC while staying out of the country? Would a roundtrip from Canada to US every 6 month do the trick?

Thanks again,

Hopefully the last question:
Once I get the immigrant paper in my hand, how much time does Montreal give the applicants to wrap up from Canada and enter US?

Thanks again. You have been very helpful. And I will follow up you advice and double check USCIS and other postings.

Best Regards,
Ranvir

Just another thought.

I am not sure how thorough the Medical Examination is for Counsalor applicants. Do you think they might deny or delay the process (of medical examination) if my wife is pregnant?

I can understand if you are not too familiar of this subject.