Contradicting claims of travel outside of US after TN renewal by mail

apkesh

Registered Users (C)
Hello, can someone with better understand of the immigration system please help me understand the following?

I am renewing my TN through Mail. My TN expires August 25 and I my employer is doing a TN renewal by mail (with expedite fee). If VSC receives my files by say July 25, can I still travel back and forth between Canada and US until my currentTN expires?

I've heard contradicting claims that once VSC receives your request for extension, you cannot travel outside of US. But if my current TN is valid for another 2 months or so, am I still not eligible to travel outside as long as I come back to US before it expires?

You can ALWAYS travel.

The question becomes under what circumsatnces does the I-129 become invalid becuse of that travel. The answer is never, since you did not petition the I-129: your firm did.

Now, that said, if you try to enter US AFTER your current TN expires, and you next one is not approved, you will need to petition for new TN at the border.

Thanks Nelson, as always your prompt reply is much appreciated.

I have two one more question and hope you can answer:

1) I work corp-to-corp, with our contract being between the US recruiter and my canadian company (I am a sole propriotor). Would this change the the I-129 application in anyway? Looking at the renewal form, it's asking for SSN, but I never needed one since I am not working F/T (no benefits, tax etc) in the US.

2) The form also asks if I am a F/T employee? Given I work 40 hrs/week but get the full amount paid posted to my CDN company, I imagine it's still not considered F/t as long as the US employer doens't deduct taxes or insurance?

Last edited by a moderator:
The I-129 is designed for many situations. If you don't have an SSN put N/A.

If you are not an f/t employee of the sponsor, don't say so.