contractor job for AC21

casttree

Registered Users (C)
Can I consider the contractor job (6 monthes to 2 years) for AC21?

Or can I accept the contractor job 6 monthes and try to find a permanant job before the RFE of I-485?

Thanks,

jaxen - can u elaborate please...

which of the 2 options did you say "yes u can" to?

Option A:
Can I consider the contractor job (6 monthes to 2 years) for AC21?

OR

Option B:
Or can I accept the contractor job 6 monthes and try to find a permanant job before the RFE of I-485?

I believe he can do the option B but not option A. BCIS would not approve his 485 if he does not has a permanent similar job and is just working on a contract at the time of approval/RFE.

regards,

-ab

Working with a consulting company as a fulltime employee at their client sites on contracting jobs for 6months-2year should be fine. If the consulting company is ready to describe you as a fulltime employee, you should be fine.

off course this is my understanding.

whats_in_name,

The focus of 485 is on "permanency" of the position, and not "fulltime". As per my understanding, to qualify a position must be permanent = available to the alien forever. I don't believe even a 2 yr contract with an employer qualifies as a permanent position - the very term "contract" nullifies the permanency.

Ofcourse, a consulting firm can have a permanent position that would qualify for 485. But in that case, one needs to be a "permanent employee" of the consulting firm (on W2), not a contractor (on 1099).

hope this helps.

-ab

atlantabhopali,

Here in the US, permanent jobs are also referred to as "fulltime" employment. I guess we are saying the same thing you used the word permanent and I used the word fulltime.

I myself is also trying to get a job and if required will change the employer. In last five years I have worked with two consulting companies and with their four clients, my employment letter never said that I am working on client projects and therefore it is a temporary job. The third consulting company I might consider joining is working on initially for a six months project with their client but can be extended up to two years. When I told them about my GC requirements they agreed with me that their employment letter won't specify anything about the client project duration. I will be a regular employee with all benefits of a fulltime/permanent employee.

To sum up, what we are trying to say is that INS/BCIS may not like the term “short term” or “contract” on the employment letter.

WIN

Originally posted by whats_in_name
Here in the US, permanent jobs are also referred to as "fulltime" employment. I guess we are saying the same thing you used the word permanent and I used the word fulltime.

Not necessarily. "Fulltime" may mean that it's a 40 hour/week job. It can often be used to define how long per week you work, not how long the job will last. It is possible to have a permanent part-time job.

To sum up, what we are trying to say is that INS/BCIS may not like the term “short term” or “contract” on the employment letter.

They probably won't. I'd use words like permanent or of indefinite duration in the employment letter.

Go to Dice or other job sites and they catagorize job openings as contract (for a period) or fulltime.

But, I know already and agree with your explaination about fulltime and permanent jobs.

WIN