Continuing Chennai Feb Interview thread

san777

Visit Chennai web site and read full FAQ section. This will give you
full official information and is up to date as well. Just my
suggestion.

Best.

sailing permit

Can anybody advice about the required documents for obtaining sailing permit?
Do any of you happened to know the location of irs office in nj or nyc?
I read in somewhere that it should be applied atleast 2 weeks before departure and not earlier than 1 month.

I am aware that it is not a required document but I do not want to wait till the consulate changes its mind.

Thanks.

sailing permit

I got it in San Jose at the IRS office in about 5 minutes. They ask you to fill out a small form with tax details for the previous year and give it to you. I just needed to carry my tax returns for the previous year i.e. 2000.
I have heard that some other IRS offices ask you to file for the current year i.e. 2001 as well.

DS230 questions

Folks, I have a couple of questions about the DS 230.
1. On the fillable form from immihelp.com there is a weird cross page question: "are you or have you been a member of a terrorist organization?" This is sort of printed across the page and across the other questions. Any ideas as to what to do with that? Or is there a cleaner form with this question printed right?

2. The SSN questions: I have a SSN, so what do I need to say for the "Do you want SSA to assign you an SSN etc. etc? " and the Consent to Disclosure for the SSN? Any ideas?

Please help - Qst on Bank Statements

Hi
For bank statements that we need to carry, is it sufficient to just take the statements we regularly receive from the bank? Do we have to get a separate letter from the bank stating information like when the account was opened, what is the average balance etc etc? Or any other specific information. I am planning to carry 3 months regular bank statements. Is this information sufficient? Please advise.

Thanks
Sujatha

i have taken a letter in addition to monthly statements.

It hardly takes 5 minutes to get one. not sure if it is required, but better safe than sorry.

How much we got to show?.

When showing account balance in bank statement, how much money we need to show?.

Guys, Question on visa interview fees....

I am copying this from another posting..can you please verify!!

1. Blue Dart - "Blue Dart Express Limited, Chennai",
                   payable at Chennai
                   Rs 250 + 2*Rs. 50 = Rs. 350
   2. Visa application fee Rs. 12740 (*2)
                 - The American Consulate General Chennai
                 - payable at Chennai
   3. Visa issuance fee Rs. 3185 (*2)
                 - The American Consulate General Chennai
                 - payable at Chennai

What does Payable at Chennai mean??
Can we take DD from a state bank in Bangalore??
Can we take US dollars for this purpose, except for Blue Dart??

Please respond...

Thanks GCDespo

That was helpful. I will try to get a letter from the bank with the above mentioned details.

Thanks
Sujatha

Did not understand your qst...

GCDespo
I didnot understand your qst. What information do you need?
Addresses to both the locations are available with me. Did u need directions to them?

Sujatha

Do I need to file 2002 tax returns before I leave?

My company will mail W2 form only on Jan 31st. I am leaving on 8th Feb for CP. Can I just carry W2 form for the interview or do you
think I need to file tax returns before I leave. I think most of Feb
guys are in similar situation. What are you guys planning. Any
thoughts?

Best.

santha - no problem

Santha
I am planning to file my returns only after i come back from CP. It is not mandatory that u shd file the 2001 returns before going for the interview. Carrying the W-2 for 2001 is also not needed but you can if u have it. all u need is 3 prior years\' returns.

Hope this helps
Sujatha

Ind Img

yes directions if possible from T. Nagar.
Did you go to the web site, it is something similar to
yahoo maps.

Tax Records

I came to US in 1999 and going for CP interview in Feb2002. I have n\'t filed 2001 Tax. So I have only 2 years Tax records i.e 1999 and 2000. Is it fine to take only 2 years tax records?