Congressman

cubed

Registered Users (C)
I know there was a time when people sought the help of Congressmen in their area to help expedite their immigration process. Are they still effective. I have searched and no one seems to have posted anything detailed with regards to their experiences with congressmen.

1. My question is, how much power do these congressmen have to influence an immigration procedure?

2. On the flip side, can a congressman influence the INS to revoke an unconditional 10yr GC? Maybe because of some disgruntled inlaw who is alleging that GC holder entered a sham marriage?

It would be nice to know how much influence a C.man can make or break a case.

Thanks everyone.

I think in our case it did not help much more than attorneys inquries -- congresman was getting the same responses, but surely at least it shows that someone (you) is knocking at the door. I would do it if I were you just for the record if you are further denied you case (file) shows you had good intentions (wanted to get your case resolved, instead of "hidding" and hoping it will take forever, so you can legally stay here, work and travel).

I have no idea whatsoever WHY would congresman want to revoke your GC. I understand you asking if congresmen can revok GC that was denied? No. Overall congresmen wont get involved simply 1) he doesnt know you 2) he did not see your case 3) he does not know any factual findings regarding you and your marriage. You may want to get a Senator involved -- my impression was that senators have bigger balls and want to "stirr" the shit when they see government organization does not do their job.

"disgrunted inlaw" ? I have no idea what that is, but I surely know both green cards AND citizenships have been revoked previously and the only real way to be here for sure is to be born on the soil of the USA. I have read cases where 25 years citizens through naturalization have been stripped from their citizenship and deported back "home" at the age of 95. -- read my post here to get more info: http://forums.immigration.com/showthread.php?t=306467

Expediting normal processing is unlikely to benefit from intervention. There is just a long queue. Everyone needs to wait patiently; you are not so special to be able to break into line ahead of others who have been waiting longer.

Some extremely unusual cases might benefit from the services offered by the constituent services representatives. I would guess these are in the 0.001% or less range of cases. If it is just waiting time on a normal situation, I doubt that they would do more than a cursory check.

A congressman cannot have your GC revoked. If fraud can be proven, there is certainly the possibility of something being done. If you have concerns about this occurring or charges against you being made, you need to speak with an attorney.

Thanks for your replies. I am only concerned about the fact that the disgruntled inlaw might just stir up unnecessary dust. The spouse in question is supportive but there's no telling to what extent the support stretches because there has been a lot of disagreements that led to this point. Like someone said on this forum, as long as the marriage was entered in good faith, then there should be no problem. it was a good faith marriage that went rocky rather quickly. But both parties can still have decent conversations....a divorce is pending by the way.

Just for clarification, what or how does one prove to authorities that marriage was in good faith?

what are the fundamental things they look at?

Thanks in advance.

Like someone said on this forum, as long as the marriage was entered in good faith, then there should be no problem. it was a good faith marriage that went rocky rather quickly.

Just for clarification, what or how does one prove to authorities that marriage was in good faith?

what are the fundamental things they look at?

Thanks in advance.

believe or not, the economical situation of this country does matter. the immigration office goal is not to determine wether you are eligible or not, it is to score the highest denial rate.

unfortunately, humans (OP) are making decisions in your file and very often they based their decision on emotions, prejudice, or even skewing evidence to support denial. if they dont like you, everything in your file can "prove" your marriage was not a bona fide: "photos are staged", all joint mail is "a simple task to put someones name", joint lease "is not a proof you live together", cancelled checks "looks suspicious", etc. on some cases the Board of Immigration finally cleans up after District Director's mess approving cases, but who wants to be put in time and emotion-based waiting line for 2 years?

as of your file, if for any reason OP dont like you (for example you were married before, you have criminal record, you traveled to we-dont-like-those-places countries, you have a child from outside you marriage, etc) the OP will do his best to deny. His/her denial can be very biased, but still denial is denial as this system works on approve/denial basis. Later, nobody cares _why_ you were denied - it only matters you were denied. period.

You marriage went "rocky rather quickly". In your example, the OP will try to prove you are not living in this country (or being married) long enough that you have some roots and need to stay here and cant live back at your homecountry. You tried to migrate based on marriage. Now, marriage is over, OP will try to denied any further benefits. Most likely they will put a lot of pressure on your wife (so she can put some dirt/shame on you which will make it easy to deny), since most marriages - when it comes to divorce, they obviously hate eachother, so make sure your wife can write nice affidavits telling you are a good guy, you go to the church, you dont drink, etc etc, oh make sure all this is true. - example with church, get letter from the priest that he sees you in the church often. Get affidavits from your neighbors stating you are a good man, helpful, friendly, etc. Anything that can help. But like I said, if OP wants to deny they will deny no matter how stupid their opinion sound. Remember it is a government, USCIS, "Service" making decision -- not a person that signs his/her name on the letter so you come back and ask why", therefore "USCIS" as an organization's decision can sound very ridiciolous sometimes, and it does. But this adding evidence to your file will help Board to make favorable decision.

You wrote "as long as marriage was entered in a good faith, you should be fine". Well, unfortunately, the immigration manual book does not exactly states what "good faith marriage" is. For one OP, it is two people getting together and marrying. Period. For other, if marriage end up quickly with divorce, it was "never entered into good faith, as you and beneficiary were blind, fall in love, and could not foresee what everyone else could see that your marriage to beneficiary will end up quickly". This lets OP skew the evidence enough to deny. You have to be careful with that "good faith" and make sure you got all type of evidence back to day # one you met, to prove your marriage was entered into "extremly good faith". And yes, make sure you got all type of evidence showing you two met before, spend time together, etc, everything before marriage point is important.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for your input everyone. I spoke to 2 different lawyers and they both said unless there is a letter from the INS there is nothing to worry. cited that Congressmen usually have other things to worry about and helping the persons in need speaks better for them than trying to ruin someone else's life especially when the person disgruntled is not the one directly affected.

Yes I agree with you JackDan. So far, spouse is supportive and seems to have said positive things only about me (because I found out inlaw tried to get her to turn against me but she says the only negative is that our marriage didnt work)...then again we are all humans and even one's best friend can turn against one in a heartbeat.

With divorce pending, what repercussions can it have? Or how is INS likely to view the whole situation based on possible pressure to look into the case.

Yes I agree with you JackDan. So far, spouse is supportive and seems to have said positive things only about me (because I found out inlaw tried to get her to turn against me but she says the only negative is that our marriage didnt work)...then again we are all humans and even one's best friend can turn against one in a heartbeat.

ok, all I am saying is that be ahead of the game! immigration let you stay here because you have had a direct connection (marriage) to a US citizen. now this connection obviously will perish. You have to have some plan B -- because like I said USCIS can try to prove you dont support a family here, and with todays economy they will definately try to remove you from the country, if you are not eligible for any other immigration benefit. My impression is that when in divorce proceeding, proving marirage came into good faith is not enough. I dont know how much time you got -- you did not write whether you guys before or after interview, you got conditional green card, 10yr GC, I dont know, but I would definately start doing something that eventually would give them a reason to keep you here. For example, if you are very spiritual person, start being a part of your church on a daily basis. Then, a priest can write you a very good support letter stating that church would "not be the same without you". Obviously dont do something fake just for immigration purpose, you an get "discovered" by uscis and things may get nasty. I hope you get my drift.

With divorce pending, what repercussions can it have? Or how is INS likely to view the whole situation based on possible pressure to look into the case.

well, again we do not know where in the process your are. if you have 10yrs GC, the worst is over, because even divorced you can apply for citizenship 5 years after getting GC and rather be approved. if you have conditional, well like the name "conditional" means some condition have to be met to get 10 yrs green card. Lack of marriage dont help -- what helps is you getting a good lawyer and explaining everything.
If you have not had an initial interview yet, it means its not been like what 6 month? maybe year since you married. That one will be hard candy, since marriage is not that long.

good luck.

My impression is that when in divorce proceeding, proving marirage came into good faith is not enough. I dont know how much time you got -- you did not write whether you guys before or after interview, you got conditional green card, 10yr GC, I dont know, but I would definately start doing something that eventually would give them a reason to keep you here.

If he got a 10 year GC he keeps it, end of story. If it's a 2-year GC, a good faith marriage should allow preservation of permanent residency.

For example, if you are very spiritual person, start being a part of your church on a daily basis. Then, a priest can write you a very good support letter stating that church would "not be the same without you".

This is useless.

hi

Cubed,

1. My question is, how much power do these congressmen have to influence an immigration procedure?

Different congressmen act differently. They could speed up a process but they no influence on the end result ( an approval or denial)

2. On the flip side, can a congressman influence the INS to revoke an unconditional 10yr GC? Maybe because of some disgruntled inlaw who is alleging that GC holder entered a sham marriage?

No, its the ICE that will revoke present convincing evidence.

It would be nice to know how much influence a C.man can make or break a case.

A congressman may have influence, but its the courts that make or break a case depending on quality of evidence.

hi RC

If he got a 10 year GC he keeps it, end of story. If it's a 2-year GC, a good faith marriage should allow preservation of permanent residency.

A 10 year green card can be revoked if there is an allegation of fraud substantiated with convincing evidence.

A 10 year green card can be revoked if there is an allegation of fraud substantiated with convincing evidence.

further, a US citizenship certificate (US citizenship based on any other than through a soil of US) can be revoked by DHS based on clear and convincing substantial factual findings.

Thanks everyone. I appreciate the wealth of information you guys are sharing. Yes I have the 10 unconditional.And although my wife and I are talking about a divorce, we are still very much on good terms.

I hope this phase of uncertainty goes past quickly. There is no problem at the moment. I am just torn as to if to take the divorce plunge as my wife and myself are growing apart as a family. We are beginning to do more things separately. I dont want to hang on longer to where there are a lot of things "separate" and then if there has to be an investigation, it seems like we never were really together. Also I dont want to just let go, and risk what JackDan said "having no familial ties here anymore.L

I understand that with the 10yr GC which I got straight (because I had to wait over 2yrs) it's more or less okay to divorce if there is not enough love to have a sustaunable marriage. I'm just lost in thought. Thanks guys for all your input regardles..

if you waited for your card longer than 2 years, it means there was some additional investigation done under pet/ben name. you were approved, thats a good thing (which means District director admit nothing can be found to prove your marriage is a scham). District director also has a power to revoke his/her decision. As of waiting until citizenship, yes, if I were you knowing a divorce is coming (me and my wife are married over 5 years now and this whole USCIS mess just got us closer, helped us test-drive our bond and see how truly strong we are.. its somehow awesome..), I would definately wait couple more years with applying for citizenship. I would give it 5-7 years and THEN apply knowing you got 10 years green card. This was you will proove USCIS further that your marriage was not a scham, and your green card wasnt a tool to wait 3 years and apply for citizenship immediately. as you know, if you divorce you still can apply but you have to wait 5 years from the moment of receiving green card. thats why I would wait 7 years. If you apply after 3 years passed and your divorce came up during USCIS investigation, you will be punished for that.