• Hello Members, This forums is for DV lottery visas only. For other immigration related questions, please go to our forums home page, find the related forum and post it there.

Confused between C1D and immigration visa..please advise

KhunBee

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

I am newie here. I just got my immigration visa stamped in my passport today .

But I am confused one thing - the officer told me that the best thing I should enter to US before the end of this September which is contrasting from what I believe and reading from this forum that I can enter to US within 6 months after visa been issued, is that correct?? :eek:

One more concern - I am a cabin crew and am going to Hawaii for my duty in this coming Sunday. So which visa should I use? should I use C1/D (crew duty) or immigration visa? Anyone has this experience? please advise. I am really nervous now. Can I use C1/D for my duty and use immigration visa when I use it in my personal?

If I use immigration visa, then next time I enter to US as a passenger in November? Will have any problem? Should I wait until i get green card?

Thank you for help,
Bee

But I am confused one thing - the officer told me that the best thing I should enter to US before the end of this September which is contrasting from what I believe and reading from this forum that I can enter to US within 6 months after visa been issued, is that correct??
you need to enter before the visa expires.

You could probably enter as a non-immigrant for now, and use your immigrant visa before its expiration in November. However, if I were you, I would go ahead and use my immigrant visa, get processed, etc. (may take an hour or two, so be ready) and become a US resident immediately. You did indicate an address in the US where your card will arrive, correct? Whoever lives there can send it to you later (don't use regular mail) or you can enter with the stamp in your passport.

Thank you so much for your quick reply, LuckyMO.

I would think to use non-immigrant for now coz I dont want other crew waitig for me an hour or two. HOwever, I would bring the envelop with me incase They need it.

Yes, I has put the address where my card will arrive. So what you meant that I can use the stamp (immigration visa) any time before the expires If I dont get my card yet?

Thanks again.

So what you meant that I can use the stamp (immigration visa) any time before the expires If I dont get my card yet?
yes, the endorsement of the immigrant visa (after your immigration processing at the point of entry) is good for a year - so, it's not the immigrant visa itself (only good of 6 months from issue date).

If you are using thesame passport that has both the immigrant visa(IV) and non-immigrant visa(NIV), the immigration officer would most likely let you in into the states as an Immigrant. so you need to have the envelope with you and also plan spending some time at the port of entry. And besides, you only can enter the u.s with only one kinda visa. U can't be a non-immigrant with no intent to stay in the u.s when u have an Immigrant visa on your passport. You might risk losing your IV if you demand to be let in on ur NIV.

KunBee,
I don't know why you are making it complicated, if I were you I would come to immigrant visa and let allow other crews to go wherever they are supposed to go and I would catch them later by taxi or by anymeans! and I belive JohnKent is right, they may cancel your nonimmigrant visa at POE.

Thanks for every suggestion. You guys are right. I will use my immigration visa for entry. But I have another question.

Do you have any limitation of staying on first entry? because I wil stay there only one nite and leave the Hawaii.

Thank you again
Bee

Last edited by a moderator:
I am now in Hawaii and I used the crew visa not the immigration visa. The immigration did not allow me to use the immigration visa coz they said that I came here for work so they need to use the crew one.

So I asked that there is gonna have any problem if I come in November as immigrant. They said that there is no problem coz they knew the purpose that I go. No confusion at all.

I will let you guys know again once i enter to US in November.

Thanks all suggestions :)

Finally, I am here in USA with immigration visa. Everything was smooth...:) wish me luck for my future in america~ :)