Confirmed JUNE CP @ CHENNAI!!!

Re: I reserved the room...

Originally posted by Rajeev Kumar
by emailing the hotel thru their website. You don't need to give your credit card number. Cancellation should not result in penalties. I have also asked them to arrange for taxi from the airport. They are very accommodating, even though their English needs a bit of polishing!;)

Rajeev,
Thanks for your reply. Did they confirmed by e_mail. I also booked a room in their website. But I did not get any reply regarding confirmation.
Will they usually confirm by e-mail or Should we call them again??

Sam.

I sent a request to book a room to their email address found on their website...

and they replied back with confirmation.

employment letter

Do we need employment letter to be notorized?
can we get the emp. letter from the company and notorize our self with a nearby notory public?

how did you guys get that?

thanks

Re: employment letter

Originally posted by hellogc
Do we need employment letter to be notorized?
Yes. Employment letter should be noatrized.

can we get the emp. letter from the company and notorize our self with a nearby notory public?

Yes. You can get the employment letter noatrized by any notary (banks have them for sure).

how did you guys get that?

I have two individuals in our office who had notary license. One of them was the VP's admin.

Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: pp stands for Per Person...

Originally posted by Rajeev Kumar
so add Rs 50 per person to the standard courier fee of Rs 300.;)

Rajeev,

So, in my case it would be Rs 400 i.e.

Rs 300 standard courier fees + Rs 50(myself) + Rs 50(spouse)

Please correct me if am wrong!!!!!!!

Thanks,

HelloGc - You cannot get the employment letter and go get the notary sign by yourself, as the notary will refuse to sign . Whoever is signing the employment letter should sign in front of the notary.

Good luck

Re: Re: Blue dart DD

Originally posted by getMyGcCp
Is that for all applicants? Or for each one?

What's pp?

Much Thanks,

I am confirming what others have already posted.

Irrespective of the city of delivery the courier fee is:

Rs. 300 + ( no. of applicants * 50 )

Ex: For a family of 3 ( main applicant + spouse + child )

the dd will be for Rs.450.

In favor of : Blue Dart Express Ltd.,

Payable at : Chennai.

Raju

Fellow CPers,

This is from Murthy's site- gives you a taste of Chennai!

PART 1

Article and Research by Our Indian Correspondent.

How to Get There:

The US Consulate at Chennai is at the very heart of the city - 220, Anna Salai (still popularly referred to by its old, Anglicised name of Mount Road) at the Gemini Circle adjacent to the well-known Anna Salai (aka Mount Road) flyover (Tel no. 91-44-8273040 and 91-44-8262538). This is at a distance of about 12 kms from the Chennai Airport, about 4 kms from the Central Railway Junction (from where private bus transport services to other States/cities are available too but more on that later) and 5 kms from the State Transport Bus Terminus.

A word of advice on the mode(s) of transport available :

Unless you wish to use the frequently overcrowded and in any case, difficult to understand (for an outsider) bus routes, you are largely left to the mercies of unscrupulous auto rickshaw drivers. Most meters are doctored (set to simmer in local parlance) and should you be offered a metered ride consider yourself warned that you may end up shelling out a (very) great deal more than the cost of the trip. You will therefore have to bargain before you find someone who will agree to a cost of about 10 rupees per kilometer (though a distance of about 4kms can be arranged - depending on your skills and ability to keep cool - for about 30 rupees which is still far more than what any of the honest - to - an - absolutely - accurate - meter rickshaw-wallah in Mumbai will charge you). Yes, its disgusting but also something the citizenry of this city have learnt to live with. The best way out of the situation is to avoid the unpleasantness of having to deal with the inevitable cheating (for sooner or later you may have to end up with a high blood pressure declaration on you insurance forms:)).

From the Airport you have the Prepaid Taxi service (at a counter near the exit) where you pay a fixed fare (not that its cheap but you avoid the hassle of haggling) as per the tariff card maintained by the taxi counter. These are the typical black-and-yellow cabs. You also have the option of private cabs (no standard colour) a couple of counters away but they are a little more expensive though these vehicles are better maintained. You also have the State Transport running a bus service (comfortable seats with ample luggage space) from the Airport to the Central and Egmore railway stations, which passes via the American Consulate as well. For a flat fare of Rs.50/- you are allowed to disembark wherever you wish (all you have to do is tell the driver) or seek assistance from the driver to let you off at, say, the Consulate.

The State Transport long-haul bus services originate/terminate from the Thiruvalluvar bus station at Parrys - about 5 kms from the Consulate. For those looking for other means of travelling besides trains or Airlines to and from the city, this is the place to look. The buses here are strictly functional in terms of comfort and of course, the charges are nicely subsidised. For deluxe air suspension buses (ambitiously misquoted as "airbuses" colloquially) you have private transport operators with shop-offices outside the Central and Egmore stations. For a higher price (depending on your destination) you get to travel the longer/overnight journeys in smooth comfort.

Elsewhere, if you are in a good star hotel, you can have their travel desk assist you. But from the Railway station and such like, to reach the Embassy, you will have to go with the auto man's demands to a certain extent and of course, caveat emptor for the rest.

PART 2

NOTE: The Hotel fares are not accurate for 2003!
Also, you may have to add a prefix of '2' before the actual phone number (after the STD code) as the numbers have changed!

Rajeev Kumar

Where To Stay:

There is a whole range of options, all within a radius of the maximum of a ten minute drive. You could check out:

The Connemara : Definitely very upper crust - 5 Star - a single room comes for Rs. 4100 + 35% taxes and the double for Rs.4500 +35% taxes. Room only. The Executive option gets you breakfast on the house and airport transfers (for Rs. 5,800 and Rs 6,300 respectively). You have a 24 hour multi cuisine coffee shop, a Continental grill, a Chettinad cuisine speciality restaurant, a swimming pool/health club and so on. This fine hotel is about 2kms away from the Consulate. They can be reached at 91-44-8520123.

The Chola Sheraton : Same category - 5 Star - with the usual frills of the swimming pool, health club, 24 hour coffee shop and speciality restaurants et al. Its less than a kilometre from the Consulate on the Radhakrishnan Salai (it frequently goes by its older, still colloquially used name of Cathedral Road). Single occupancy rates per day are Rs 5,000 plus taxes and double occupancy costs a marginally higher Rs. 5,300 plus taxes. You could call them at 91-44-828101 or e-mail at fom.chola@welcomgroup.com.

The Taj Coromandel : Very definitely 5 Star . This segment cannot be complete without a referance to the very lovely Taj Coromandel on the Nungambakkam High Road, less than a kilometre from the Embassy - of the most blue blooded hue even in this rarified stratosphere of exclusive hospitality. Has all the works and then some in more in terms of a certain attitude/style. For Rs. 5,900 (+ 35% taxes) you get what they call their Superior room (which it certainly must be!) - double occupancy comes for Rs. 6,400 (plus the taxes). And then you have the Luxury version at Rs. 6,200 (plus taxes) for single occupancy while the double occupancy rates are Rs. 6,700 (plus 35%, of course). Call them at 91-44-8272827.

The Quality Inn Aruna : - 4 Star - A ten minute drive from on the Sterling Road end of the same part of the town. A single room will set you back by Rs. 2,600 + 35% as taxes and the double room comes for Rs.3,000 + the same taxes. They offer breakfast on the house and other than the coffee shop/restaurants/pool/florists/book shop they have a disco - they claim a health club too will be functional in 3-4 months. They can be reached at 91-44-8271881.

So yes, if you have the money to spare, these establishments promise to make you wish your work hadn't got wrapped up quite so fast!

The Palmgrove : - 3 Star - At Rs. 1300 plus taxes for a double room (they don't have the single room option and the only alternative would be their cottages which come for Rs. 2,350 plus the taxes) , a five minute distance from the Consulate, no swimming pool but a TV in every room and 2 vegetarian restaurants - this is in the mid-price segment. Reach them at 91-44-8271881.

The New Woodlands : 3 Star - This star rating is a claim which doesn't quite match up to the general facade of the hotel. Still, this is one of the oldest (nomenclature notwithstanding) players in the hospitality industry here, with a certain sense of space so lacking in the matchbox-highrise style of congested construction. They have tariff choices ranging from a double AC room at Rs. 650 + 25% taxes or the Deluxe AC version at Rs.975 plus 25% taxes or else the single nonAC room for Rs.300 + 20% tax - all with TV and (chargeable) phone connection while a swimming pool is available too. Just 1½ kms from the Consulate on the Radhakrishnan Salai (Salai just means road in Tamil, the State's official language) this is recommended for its modest charges, heresay reputation and good location. Their number is 91-44-8273111.

If all you need is a room somewhere (like the old song goes...but let it go no further for what you get may or may not be luverly) in the general 2 km radius around the Consulate you also have the Nirmala Dakshin (91-44-8520505) near the LIC building on Anna Salai or the Savera (91-44-8274700) on the Radhakrishnan Salai or even the 4 Star President on the Kodambakkam High Road (at 91-44-8271881). Please note that this list is the result of a comprehensive but not exhaustive survey.

The things you will need to get done:

Photocopying of Documents : Diagonally across the road from the Consulate on the other side of the Gemini flyover (officially the Anna Salai flyover) you have the commercial/office buildings of the Parsn Manere and the Parsn Commercial complexes which house every concievable utility/shop likely to be needed by anyone on official (or mostly even any other) business. Check out Kwality Xerox on the Ground Floor of the Parsn Commercial Complex (Phone 91-44-8275027) where you can get multi colour xerox/ photocopying of any size on a Modi xerox plan copier, laser printing, a promised rate of 150 copies per minute plus bulk photocopying and binding. You could also opt for Karthik Graphics (91-44-8274480) on the 1st Floor (shop no.26) at the Parsn Manere who have a Modi Engg Plan Printer AO size and computerized xerox A3 size option on paper, tracing paper and OHP film besides ammonia printing - but of course, the basic purpose of photocopying is easily accomplished for this location is chock-a-block with such little shops with the competition keeping the prices low (an average of Rs. 1 per copy) and the service uniformly reliable. The area falls totally silent on Sundays with most shops downing shutters on this, the weekly holiday. Other than that you can find one or the other open from 9 to 9.

Passport Size Photograph: Leaving behind the smaller shops you could opt for the reliable, brightly laid out and well-equipped Konica Colour Lab on Nungambakkam High Road (at 50 meters from the Parsn complexes, opposite Indian Oil Bhavan on the first floor of the Apex Plaza, right above the aptly named Landmark bookstore). They charge Rs.70 for a frontal snap and Rs. 75 for the side profile, passport size (12 copies each) and deliver in 2 hours. They also have the Photo-in-one-hour facility but since the difference in quality is stark and the time differential negligible, you could plan and opt for the regular version. They work Sundays too 9am to 5.30pm and on all other days between 8.30am to 8.00pm. (Phone : 91-44-8264562 or 91-44-8275878). Very similiar and equally recommended is the Fuji outlet opposite the Parsn complex.

Where to Eat: There are some very popular restaurants available close at hand. The Palimar at the Parsn complex maintains its long-standing reputation of good food at a good price - their a la carte as well as buffet fare is a reliable bet. Just next door on the Kodambakkam High Road you have the Komala Vilas (who made it big in Singapore which is also their USP around these parts) - basically South Indian fast food presented very hygienically and pleasantly. Of much the same category and equally tasty (though die-hard loyalists exist for both places) is the fast food chain outlet of the Saravana Bhavan on Peters Road (about 200 meters away from the Consulate, very near the Thousand Lights mosque). The Drive in Woodlands is an oasis of pleasing greenery (its only and perhaps singular charm - the food is just passable) in the heart of the metro - about 100 meters away from the Embassy on the Radhakrishnan Salai. Quite coincidentally, all these restaurants are vegetarian but for sheer convenience and quality in terms of distance and food respectively, they remain the best options. For just a quick bite you have the long established Bosotto Brothers bakery on the Nungambakkam High Road or you could opt for the equally nice and nearby Cakes n Bakes.

Time to pass and everywhere to go:

So there you are, waiting and waiting and well, waiting. If you want to get your mind off the stress of not knowing, you are certainly in the right part of the city. Check out the Landmark Bookstore (directions in the paragraph above) - a veritable treasure trove of books/CDs/audio tapes/cards which is just 3 minute walk from the Embassy. You could walk (5 mins) over to the Cottage Industries Exposition opposite the Taj Coromandel on the Nungambakkam High Road and have a look at how breathtaking (and no, that's not just the price tags we are discussing here) Indian arts and crafts can be. A ten minute drive and you could be at the old fashioned, high-ceiling, spaced out Higginbothams Booksellers or the exquisite (and sometimes even affordable) Tamil Nadu Government crafts outlet Poompuhar on the main Anna Salai itself. Nungambakkam High Road (Swarowski crystal among other such exclusive names), Khader Nawaz Khan Road (various private stores selling the very best in Indian handwork and textiles - carpets, cushions and curios uncommon) or Radhakrishnan Salai (the Aurobindo Ashram outlet) - all are within easy reach. A great way to while away a few hours and find a few gifts (even for yourself!).

Conclusion : With informed choices, plentiful patience and some luck you could turn your wait for a visa into a pleasant experience - one you may not be unwilling to repeat under less trying circumstances.

Hope this helps!;)

Chennai information....

...is really useful Rajeev. Thanks for posting.

Till now I was thinking that U.S consulate is very far from Central railway station..But seems to be not the case...it is just 4 km...

Regds,
Sam.

TB Skin Test

Hello guys...I have a doubt regarding TB skin test....

Me and my wife went for immunization here(in u.s). We took T.B test and immunization.

For TB test, they made a skin test and asked us to come after two days to check the results. After two days, My skin did not have anything except a small dot. but for my wife, dot was slightly bigger( may be 7 mm ). So, they took Xray for her and asked us to wait for two days for results. After two days..this is what they told me..

For me..everything is o.k.
for my wife... there is no TB symptoms/infection but she is suceptable for TB in future and advised her to take the medicine for prevention. It seems it is some two year course I guess..

Did any of you have similar experience, I just want to make sure if it is common or not.
I am wondering when we go for medicals in Chennai, will there be any problem during TB Test.. We are wondering whether we should show the results given here or not.
Pls advice..

Thanks,
Sam.

kumar_sam,

I do not know how they determined about your wife. But you need not worry about that. At Chennai they only do the X-rays.
Skin test is done only if there is some indication in the x-ray.

In your case the x-rays should be clean. So go without any doubts about this. Do not show the TB results from US.

Raju

Sam,

I can help you here- since I know a little bit about these things!
Remember my earlier post asking you not to get TB tests done here? The reason being most of us from India will have either been exposed to TB and/or received BCG. That exposure will make you develop immunity to the bacteria and that is the reaction your wife had with the skin test. Remember, that positive skin test signifies exposure to TB or the BCG vaccine at some prior time; not necessarily an infection. The Chest Xray is done to rule out an active infection. I am sure her Xray was OK; if not, they would have admitted her to the hospital for isolation and treatment! Now the INH prophylaxis is good to kill any hibernating TB bacteria in her body, but it may cause liver enzyme elevation and you should not plan any babies during and immediately after the treatment. Unless you know that she was skin test negative until recently and 'converted' just now, the INH is not worth taking for somebody from India with BCG vaccination. That's just my opinion. As to repeating the tests in Chennai, she will have to get a chest Xray again. If there are any findings there, they won't do a skin test but a sputum test to check for active TB infection- that takes atleast 3 days. If it makes you feel any better, both myself and my wife had positive skin tests. We are both physicians, and as such need skin tests every year unless you turn positive. Our employer offered INH prophylaxis after our Xrays were negative and we declined. My guess is if you randomly test all immigrant Indians with skin tests, a majority will test positive. Don't worry....;)

Re: TB Skin Test

Originally posted by kumar_sam
Hello guys...I have a doubt regarding TB skin test....

Me and my wife went for immunization here(in u.s). We took T.B test and immunization.

For TB test, they made a skin test and asked us to come after two days to check the results. After two days, My skin did not have anything except a small dot. but for my wife, dot was slightly bigger( may be 7 mm ). So, they took Xray for her and asked us to wait for two days for results. After two days..this is what they told me..

For me..everything is o.k.
for my wife... there is no TB symptoms/infection but she is suceptable for TB in future and advised her to take the medicine for prevention. It seems it is some two year course I guess..

Did any of you have similar experience, I just want to make sure if it is common or not.
I am wondering when we go for medicals in Chennai, will there be any problem during TB Test.. We are wondering whether we should show the results given here or not.
Pls advice..

Thanks,
Sam.

One of the ways TB is tested is by injecting dead cells in your body via skin injection. If an individual doesn't have any TB infections than the TB test result is negative. If not, the test is positive. The indication of positive is when the place where shot was given becomes sore and bigger in size.

The catch: if an individual doesn't have TB and the TB (dead cells)is injected into the body, the first time the test is negative. But if the test is done again after certain days/months/years, the test will come up positive. This is because the dead cells are still in the body. This shouldn't be the cause of concern. The next way to verify TB is by X-rays. The results of X-rays are correct.

So the answer to your question.
1. Don't ever take the TB injections shots or refuse to take.
2. In question, take the X-rays directly. This will avoid the injection of dead cells in the individuals body.

Thanks & Good Luck.

Kumar-sam: A couple of years ago everyone in our office had to take a skin test to check for TB and my skin was swollen a little bit. But I was confident that I do not have TB. I forgot about that.

Then, last year when I have to go for CP at chennai, I was a little nervous and went to my PCP and he did an X-RAY and the results came out as normal. Inspite of that he suggested to take medicine for 6 months as a prevention. I do not want to take any medicine when I do not have anything and I did not.

Went for medicals with X-RAY from lister and everything was normal.

I would advice you to take a look at her x-ray results and as long it says "normal", you need not worry for anything (Also, I got a copy of the x-ray results from my pcp when I went for medicals at Chennai).

Good luck

PCC QUESTIONS

Guys,
Probs again with PCC..I could get a PCC from US..well and good..

But I was travelling to Jamaicaand US for the last 8 months on business.. I never stayed there at a strech more than 2.5 months.. Shud I get a PCC certificate from here.. I know I cannot now ..but how shud I prepare myself for any questions from the consular..
The reason I am worried is my passport has Jamaica immigrations stamp.. But since I dint' stay there for more than 6 months at a strech I did not feel the need to get a PCC..I used to come back to the US every month...(except for a 2.5 month period)
Can you pls tell me what I shud do..
Dallasdude

Re: PCC QUESTIONS

Originally posted by dallasdude
Guys,
Probs again with PCC..I could get a PCC from US..well and good..

But I was travelling to Jamaicaand US for the last 8 months on business.. I never stayed there at a strech more than 2.5 months.. Shud I get a PCC certificate from here.. I know I cannot now ..but how shud I prepare myself for any questions from the consular..
The reason I am worried is my passport has Jamaica immigrations stamp.. But since I dint' stay there for more than 6 months at a strech I did not feel the need to get a PCC..I used to come back to the US every month...(except for a 2.5 month period)
Can you pls tell me what I shud do..
Dallasdude

Replied in the following thread.
http://www.immigrationportal.com/showthread.php?s=&postid=504380#post504380post504380

Re: TB Skin test

Hi!
I had to take the skin test and was positive. X-Ray was normal. Went thru a six month medicine course from the county health. They gave a letter saying i have completed the course.
Should i take this when i go for the medical exam for CP?

Thanks!
July hopefull