Confirmed JUNE CP @ CHENNAI!!!

Hi friends,

Marriage certificate issue!!!!!!!!

I got married in 2000, but because of tight schedule during that time I did not register my marriage at register office. Since then we did not visited India. But, my parents has produced the evidence and got the certificate. Since we are not there personally they gave us unregistered marriage certificate. Will there be any kind of problem if we produce this certificate. Apart from this we have other proof of our wedding photos and wedding invitation. Please suggest me what to do ?????????

Please reply!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

Vanee

It is my understanding that one needs to have a registered marriage cert issued by the local governing body (corporation, municipality etc). Marriage cert is one of the critical docs which the consular officer checks since there are a lot of fraud happening in this front.

It is better if you get a proper marriage cert.

DMN

Re: Vanee

Originally posted by dmn1
It is my understanding that one needs to have a registered marriage cert issued by the local governing body (corporation, municipality etc). Marriage cert is one of the critical docs which the consular officer checks since there are a lot of fraud happening in this front.

It is better if you get a proper marriage cert.

DMN

Hi MDMN1,

Thanks a lot for your reply.

I am leaving on 10th,june from here. And my interview is on 25th, june. So, I have 2 weeks of time before inteview. Is this time enough to get the certificate from the municipal office. Can any just tell me how long it will take to get the certificate if we go personaly. And what is the procedure? Please reply!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks,

P4 and marriage cert.

dallasdude thank for clarifying the issue abt P4. I am in the same boat as you. I also got the same reply from the consulate folks. I downloaded the P4. It has only the Of230Pt2 and medical exam cover letter. How about the appt. letter? How do we present that? Others please let me know how you are managing?

For marriage certificate this is how it went for me ....

2 days after marriage we took our marriage invitation card and a letter from the priest with witness (attested) from 2 of our family friends who were govt. official (like prof. / magistrate etc) saying that they witnessed out marriage. keep some photos also.

You have to go to the registrar of marriage (for hindus) with all this. you have to pay some fees and fill the application form. carry some passport photos and copy of birth/10th certificate as proof of Date of birth. Submit the application. They will tell you to come the next day for the certificate. Pay Rs.20-30 (at least I did that :mad: ) and they gave me withing 2 hrs. I had to wait for it. The registrar of marriage office is near the district court where you will also find the registrar of houses etc.
HTH

Hi aronline,

Thanks a lot for the information.

And I am very thanfull to all the members in this thread who are very helpfull to each other in so many aspects.

Thanks,

aronline,

if you don't have an appt letter, you can go to Chennai consulate's website and check the status of your case- and print out the appointment info displayed- that is as good as the appt letter for getting your medical done and to enterv the consulate.;)

Immigration style photos

I am visiting Chennai only for CP. To save some time and work I want to bring the photos from my home Delhi. Can some let me know the specifications for the photos like size etc.
Or,
This is risky and I better go to Camera citi opp. chola sheraton?

TIA

Re: P4 and marriage cert.

Originally posted by aronline
dallasdude thank for clarifying the issue abt P4. I am in the same boat as you. I also got the same reply from the consulate folks. I downloaded the P4. It has only the Of230Pt2 and medical exam cover letter. How about the appt. letter? How do we present that? Others please let me know how you are managing?

2 days after marriage we took our marriage invitation card and a letter from the priest with witness (attested) from 2 of our family friends who were govt. official (like prof. / magistrate etc) saying that they witnessed out marriage. keep some photos also.

You have to go to the registrar of marriage (for hindus) with all this. you have to pay some fees and fill the application form. carry some passport photos and copy of birth/10th certificate as proof of Date of birth. Submit the application. They will tell you to come the next day for the certificate. Pay Rs.20-30 (at least I did that :mad: ) and they gave me withing 2 hrs. I had to wait for it. The registrar of marriage office is near the district court where you will also find the registrar of houses etc.
HTH

My wife reminded me just now that you will be needing 2 persons in the office who have to sign in front of the registrar that they saw you getting married. Take some friends/relatives. Tell the peon that you need it today and I am sure he will let you know the "PROCEDURE" ;)

Here is a new announcement on chennai's website...

Effective June 1, all immigrant visa applicants are reminded that they need not arrive at the consulate until 15 minutes prior to their interview time. Please adhere to the appointment timings, failure to appear at the appointment time will delay the processing of your application.

I also received a second letter informing me that our interview is at 10 am on 6/24/03 and not at 8am as originally scheduled. I think from June, Chennai is streamlining their appointment system.;)

Re: Here is a new announcement on chennai's website...

Originally posted by Rajeev Kumar
Effective June 1, all immigrant visa applicants are reminded that they need not arrive at the consulate until 15 minutes prior to their interview time. Please adhere to the appointment timings, failure to appear at the appointment time will delay the processing of your application.

I also received a second letter informing me that our interview is at 10 am on 6/24/03 and not at 8am as originally scheduled. I think from June, Chennai is streamlining their appointment system.;)

Did they also update your timings on the us consulate chennai website? Please let us know this. I dont think I will NOT get the revised timing from them in US (if they do change mine too!) because I will leave on 06/12. Atleast if they are keeping the appointment time on the website in sync I will know that it is the latest. Just to be safe I will call them a couple of days before my appt.

TIA

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: P4 and marriage cert.

Originally posted by aronline

HTH

aronline,
What about ppl that got married in the USA. IS it OK if u just carry the marriage certificate issued in the court?
Can anyone pls clarify if this would suffice...??
dallasdude

I just received my Appointment letter in mail for June 20th.

Some facts:
- Got the letter in regular mail in US.
- Posted from Washington on May 23rd (though the consulate personnel said, it is posted on May15th, may be interdepartmental transfer)
- The letter says, P4 is enclosed, but nothing is there. I guess if you ask them to mail to US address, all you get is the appointment letter.

Thanks

P4 received in US

Originally posted by cpwaltair2
I just received my Appointment letter in mail for June 20th.

Some facts:
- Got the letter in regular mail in US.
- Posted from Washington on May 23rd (though the consulate personnel said, it is posted on May15th, may be interdepartmental transfer)
- The letter says, P4 is enclosed, but nothing is there. I guess if you ask them to mail to US address, all you get is the appointment letter.

Thanks

Same exp. as cpwaltair2. Got my P4 today. When P4 is mailed to US addr. they do not send all other documents. (May be they want to save postage :p )

For those still waiting for PCC:

I just spoke to CGI-Houston and my passport is in dispatch today. Just want to share the following:

PCC is simple procedure except the human factor involved with it. To speed up the procedure:

Get the consulate reference number for our PCC application and have someone do the followup @ regional passport office with the reference number. It took just one week for the complete procedure.

Though consulate received my PCC application on 04/30, they haven't forwarded the application till May 21st. With the followup at regional passport, it's in dispatch today. it took 3 days time for Hyderabad passport office to respond CGI- Houston ref no.

Thanks,
Priya

Originally posted by kpriya123
For those still waiting for PCC:

I just spoke to CGI-Houston and my passport is in dispatch today. Just want to share the following:

PCC is simple procedure except the human factor involved with it. To speed up the procedure:

Get the consulate reference number for our PCC application and have someone do the followup @ regional passport office with the reference number. It took just one week for the complete procedure.

Though consulate received my PCC application on 04/30, they haven't forwarded the application till May 21st. With the followup at regional passport, it's in dispatch today. it took 3 days time for Hyderabad passport office to respond CGI- Houston ref no.

Thanks,
Priya

I got my PCC ready at the HOU embassy too. Surprisingly this process took less that 20 days for me.. HYD PP office took just a week to process it..
Also I got my appt letter too. No other docs...

Guys,
Can anyone pls tell me that if u get married in the US, would your MC suffice..or do u need any other proofs..???
Regards
Dallasdude
p.s: rash..veturi..thanks for efaxs docs..

Originally posted by dallasdude
I got my PCC ready at the HOU embassy too. Surprisingly this process took less that 20 days for me.. HYD PP office took just a week to process it..
Also I got my appt letter too. No other docs...

Guys,
Can anyone pls tell me that if u get married in the US, would your MC suffice..or do u need any other proofs..???

Marriage certificate of marriage in US will suffice any/all proof of your marriage. Nothing else is required. I also got married in US and I just took the MC and nothing else. No photographs etc.

Other proofs of marriage (invitation cards, photos, albums, etc) are more important in the family based immigration where the spouse is sponsorer of the GC.

Regards
Dallasdude
p.s: rash..veturi..thanks for efaxs docs..

I bought transparent expanding files....

with 13 pockets from BEAUTONE from Officemax for $7.99 each. They appear to be spacious for all the documents you may need to carry to the interview. Goodluck!;)

Arranging documents..Packet 4

Hi,
I started, arranging the list of documents as mentioned(page 4) in Packet 4. While I am going the list one by one, I got the following doubts. Can some one answer please..

QUESTION related to Item #5:
In this item, he mentioned that Job verification letter and Bank Statements from the Petitioner.
What does he mean by "Bank Stmts" for Employment based applicants?? Do we need any Financial/Bank report about/from our company?? or it is not applicable for us i.e is it only for family based applicants??

Do we need to submit our recent paystubs and bank statments to support this item #5?? or should we submit them only if they ask us??

QUESTION related to Item #7:
Proof of relationship between beneficiary and the petitioner..
What should we submit for this item?? Or should we ignore this also??

QUESTION related to medical form in packet 4:
What address should we give in this form. Is it our India address or U.S address??

QUESTION related to Bank draft for courier:
We need to take Bank draft/demand draft in foviour of "BLUE DART EXPRESS Limited". . Is it payble at Chennai??

I know these are simple q's..but thought of confirming so that I won't miss some simple things....

Thanks again in advance for your answers..

Regds,
Sam.