conditional welcome notice

gsdevi

My husband and I finally got our GC approvals last week (EB-3 category). Our PD was Dec 2002 and the I-485 was filed in March 2004.

However, when we received our welcome notice yesterday, I found to my surprise that it says something about our GC being "conditional" and that it is valid only for 2 years after which we have to apply to remove the so called "conditions".

From what I understand, "conditional GC" is issued only to investors or family based applicants. So, it appears to be either a clerical error or just a generic message. Has anyone else encountered this for employment based cases from NSC? We have not received our GCs yet, so we are hoping that it is a clerical error.

Here is the verbiage from the notice:

Welcome to the USA...blah..blah..

"your new card will expire two years from when you became permanent resident. By law your resident status is conditional, and you must apply to remove those conditions before your card expires."

We are employement based applicants and from what I've heard the "conditional" stuff is not applicable to us.

Hi,

I am in the same boat ...

Received the physical cards and approval notices both for me and wife.

Cards are showing the expiration dates in Jun 2017.

But the approval / welcome notices have the following contents towards the end ....

"Your new card will expire two years from when you became a permanent resident. By law your resident status is conditional, and you must apply to remove those conditions before your card expires. We recommend you apply several months before your card expires". etc etc

I am in EB2 category.

Is this a general statement in all the welcome notices or what (employment based) ??

Would you guys (who have received the welcome / appoval notice), please check your letters and post about it ...

I believe this a very generic message in every one's welcome notice. Card has expiration date after 10 yrs.
Some one who have received welcome notice, please cofirm this.

We too on same boat

Hi,

I am in the same boat ...

Received the physical cards and approval notices both for me and wife.

Cards are showing the expiration dates in Jun 2017.

But the approval / welcome notices have the following contents towards the end ....

"Your new card will expire two years from when you became a permanent resident. By law your resident status is conditional, and you must apply to remove those conditions before your card expires. We recommend you apply several months before your card expires". etc etc

I am in EB2 category.

Is this a general statement in all the welcome notices or what (employment based) ??

Would you guys (who have received the welcome / appoval notice), please check your letters and post about it ...

We too on same boat. Received cards for 10 years, but approval for 2 years conditional. We are on EB3 category. We guess that it is an USCIS error. But need to wait 30 days and see if we are going to receive another updated Approval letters again. Or else need to contact Lawyer and ask. People say cards are more important than approval letters, but let us wait and see.

i got the welcome letter which mentions that the GC is conditional ....the interviewer was not sure....and i think it might be a mistake...mine is marriage based and we are married for more than 3 years now...can anyone confirm this.. my interview date was in jan2009.....anyone faced the same issue?
Wait until you receive the card before you get concerned. Many people receive a letter saying it's conditional but when they get the card it correctly shows 10 years.