Concurrent Filing - Using Cross Chargeability

Applied for EAD/AP renewals today. Looks like there is no difference in processing times of NSC and VSC as far as the EAD/AP is concerned...

info

i140 and 485 priority date ( nebraska)... jan 4th 2007
receive receipts on jan 22 nd
bio metrics data appointment on feb 2nd.

can someone plz fill my info in the tracker ?

gz71 said:

gz71,
Did you use cross chargability? My application was re-filed Jan 9th 2007, after it was initially returned to attorney. I havent received my rcpts yet.

Any updates to share from early 06 filers

Hi Guys,

I had been following the TSC-485 tracker and it dosent look like there have been approvals lately, let alone LUD's. Then there was this new rule that WOM cannot be filed anymore. USCIS ways are unpredictable no doubt, however do any of you guys have any LUD's on you case or any other information to share.

As far as my case goes, after my EAD, AP and I140 approvals and having takin my FP in November I havent seen any LUD on my I485.

I am not sure if I should go ahead and call USCIS and ofcourse get disappointed. My comapny lawyer recommends that any calls made to USCIS should go through them to avoid any issues in the future. Is that true?

We had applied for an SSN about 8 weeks ago and no news on that end. I guess we can follow-up after 10 weeks. I had heard of cases where the SSN officials check for an update with USCIS, and if they dont get the information, which for some reason is not updated at the USCIS, then they cannot approve the SSN. Did any of you guys hear about this or had any experience with this?

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks,
Zeppelin

Zeppelin said:
Hi Guys,

I had been following the TSC-485 tracker and it dosent look like there have been approvals lately, let alone LUD's. Then there was this new rule that WOM cannot be filed anymore. USCIS ways are unpredictable no doubt, however do any of you guys have any LUD's on you case or any other information to share.

As far as my case goes, after my EAD, AP and I140 approvals and having takin my FP in November I havent seen any LUD on my I485.

I am not sure if I should go ahead and call USCIS and ofcourse get disappointed. My comapny lawyer recommends that any calls made to USCIS should go through them to avoid any issues in the future. Is that true?

We had applied for an SSN about 8 weeks ago and no news on that end. I guess we can follow-up after 10 weeks. I had heard of cases where the SSN officials check for an update with USCIS, and if they dont get the information, which for some reason is not updated at the USCIS, then they cannot approve the SSN. Did any of you guys hear about this or had any experience with this?

Any information is appreciated.

Thanks,
Zeppelin

Zeppelin,
Nothing more to report other than what I've posted recently. Long story short, I'm stuck in the name check process, and my wife's name checks have been cleared. I was told at the Infopass appointment that if one of us is in the clear, they process the case. I called VSC using POJ and the lady said that this is simply not true. Splendid. Anyway, so I am just waiting.
As far as WOM goes, I heard the same thing. Personally it doesn't seem to have been set in stone, and I don't see how they can do that, especially given several folks have benefitted from filing WOM and having their name check consequently expedited.
As an early 2006 filer, its way too early for me personally to go in for that, since there are lot of 2004 and 2005 filers still waiting. A year and a half might be a more reasonable time, but who knows if that avenue would still be available by then.
Filed for EAD and AP renewals last week. No notices yet, but thats not surprising.
As expected my letters to the VSC have gone unheeded, as have my inquiries initiated via the National Cust Service number.

Sorry, I cannot speak towards the SSN. I had a SSN the week after I landed back in the mid 1990s.

Thanks KS_CC for the reply. I guess I should go ahead and check the status of our security check. At least to rule out if one of us is stuck in namecheck.
I will post a response once I find out something.

ks_cc said:
Zeppelin,
Nothing more to report other than what I've posted recently. Long story short, I'm stuck in the name check process, and my wife's name checks have been cleared. I was told at the Infopass appointment that if one of us is in the clear, they process the case. I called VSC using POJ and the lady said that this is simply not true. Splendid. Anyway, so I am just waiting.
As far as WOM goes, I heard the same thing. Personally it doesn't seem to have been set in stone, and I don't see how they can do that, especially given several folks have benefitted from filing WOM and having their name check consequently expedited.
As an early 2006 filer, its way too early for me personally to go in for that, since there are lot of 2004 and 2005 filers still waiting. A year and a half might be a more reasonable time, but who knows if that avenue would still be available by then.
Filed for EAD and AP renewals last week. No notices yet, but thats not surprising.
As expected my letters to the VSC have gone unheeded, as have my inquiries initiated via the National Cust Service number.

Sorry, I cannot speak towards the SSN. I had a SSN the week after I landed back in the mid 1990s.

gz71 said:

Hi gz71,

Done! Sorry for the delay.

-Still

StillPatient said:
Hi gz71,

Done! Sorry for the delay.

-Still
Hi Still.
Once again, thanks a ton for keeping this up to date. FYI, my wife's security checks have been cleared. Unfortunately both our cases are held up because mine aren't.
Yeesh, you know, I've been looking through the main 485 threads as well, and it seems like everyone and their mother have been stuck in name check. Just bizarre.

Ks_cc,

This name check business sounds scary. Is it a black hole if you don't clear it first-pass ?
No way to expedite it ? Nothing to be done but twiddle thumbs ? Sucks if that's the case!

overboard said:
ks,

Did you get your EAD/AP receipts back...
SCARY!
I logged on to type out the same question to you!
I just heard from the consulting firm that the attorneys do have the receipts and are going to scan them and PDF them over in a few minutes. That was a few hours ago and I haven't recvd them yet, but yes, the attorneys office has them. I was starting to get concerned.
Radd, dbins..how about you guys? Filed renewals yet?

prezcalvin said:
Ks_cc,

This name check business sounds scary. Is it a black hole if you don't clear it first-pass ?
No way to expedite it ? Nothing to be done but twiddle thumbs ? Sucks if that's the case!
Prez
Its all a matter of luck (and the country you're from does factor in). Go over to the main 485 issues forum or the 485 issues in VSC forum, they have threads dedicated to this. The unsettling part is that there are folks who've been stuck at the 485 case since 2004 and 2005 due to pending name checks. Some of them are considering lawsuits, some successfully sued and got their approvals, but the fact of the matter is that this isn't an exact science. Apparently its only 1% (or something wicked low) of name checks that get stuck beyond 6 months, but I've been reading that its usually now 18-24 months. Again, country factors, such as with countries where lot of people have common names, such as China (at least thats what I was told by my Senator's office). Sad thing is that no one can expedite the FBI name check, except for USCIS, which they only do it they're sued...and which by the way I believe they're going to get around very soon to discourage these suits.

Another example of the arbitrariness of the USCIS *sigh*. Well, hope you and the others stuck in name check get it cleared soon, and hope I or my wife don't fall into that same hole in a few months.

NSS I485 reciept number problem.Please help..

Hi all,

please guide me though, if you know any info please pass on me.

I applied my I485 based on cross chargability on dec 9 , 2006 and did not get any reciept number nor my checks got cashed.

This week my lawyer said they are going to make an email enquiry on where abouts on my 485.

How long do you think it will take before i can get some answer from USCIS?

Mean while i called USCIS and enquired and they gave me some fax number and asked me to fax all the details so that they can enquire on my case.

Does any body have gone through the same cycle.

please help me gurus and moderators.

Thanks
Nan

raidohri said:
Hi all,

I applied my I485 based on cross chargability on dec 9 , 2006 and did not get any reciept number nor my checks got cashed.

This week my lawyer said they are going to make an email enquiry on where abouts on my 485.

Mean while i called USCIS and enquired and they gave me some fax number and asked me to fax all the details so that they can enquire on my case.

Thanks
Nan

Nan,
First off, I'm wicked sorry that you're undergoing all these problems. I distinctly remember the anxiety and frustration when I was filing last year. Although my CC application was incorrectly returned by the VSC in the first go around, I recall that the second go around acceptance and consequently the receipts arriving was fairly expeditious.

Now that doesn't shed light on the whereabouts of your applications. I don't think anyone can answer that except USCIS themselves, but we can only speculate. If the application was sent back again, it may have gone from the mailroom to a supervisor. The NSC, where I believe you've sent your papers, may have internally transferred the documents to a different service center; I am not sure if they're actively transferring petitions amongst themselves, but it might have happened, and hence the delay in your receipts being issued. It could be anything at this point.

The fact of the matter is that this is something your attorneys should be following up on and pursuing. That is what they're getting reimbursed generously for. This does not preclude you from being proactive. I would send a fax to the number you found. I would also suggest using the POJ method to call NSC, but I think you need a receipt number to follow through the POJ options, so that choice is negated.

Once again, the best indicator is the checks being encashed, and the receipt numbers are usually on the back of the checks. I'd keep pursuing checking on that. It does take a little bit to get receipts from USCIS, but its been about six weeks plus for you, so I'd crank the heat up a little bit.

Send the fax and keep us posted, including the information your lawyers obtain.

GOOD LUCK and hang in there.
k

POJ Method question

KS_CC,

When our application for I140/AOS was filed alongwith EAD/AP, my attorney specifically asked me that any queries to USCIS should get channeled through them and I should refrain from trying to contact USCIS directly for reasons that I might inadvertently pass some wrong information which could jeopardize my case.
From what I read on a couple of forums, it seems most people call to find the status of their FP (whether FBI sent it to USCIS by calling FBI) and namecheck (by calling USCIS using POJ method).
My questions are
a) Are there any hidden factors that could potentially delay the case further if for some reason the officer whom we speak to decides to put some kind of a note on our case since we called.
b)Has any of your attorneys advised on not calling USCIS and
c)Have most people on this forum, in one way or another called USCIS?
Please excuuse me for getting paranoid, however I read on one of the forums where the officer asked for the SSN of a particular indvidual.

I was planing on calling USCIS and have been delaying for a while.

Anyone has anything to share on this topic?

Thanks,
Zeppelin

Zeppelin said:
KS_CC,

When our application for I140/AOS was filed alongwith EAD/AP, my attorney specifically asked me that any queries to USCIS should get channeled through them and I should refrain from trying to contact USCIS directly for reasons that I might inadvertently pass some wrong information which could jeopardize my case.
From what I read on a couple of forums, it seems most people call to find the status of their FP (whether FBI sent it to USCIS by calling FBI) and namecheck (by calling USCIS using POJ method).
My questions are
a) Are there any hidden factors that could potentially delay the case further if for some reason the officer whom we speak to decides to put some kind of a note on our case since we called.
b)Has any of your attorneys advised on not calling USCIS and
c)Have most people on this forum, in one way or another called USCIS?
Please excuuse me for getting paranoid, however I read on one of the forums where the officer asked for the SSN of a particular indvidual.

I was planing on calling USCIS and have been delaying for a while.

Anyone has anything to share on this topic?

Thanks,
Zeppelin

Zeppelin,
Good question, glad you brought that up. I've heard the same thing from a lot of folks. Couldn't tell you if my attorneys would advise that since I've never spoken with them....ever. Company rules dictate that I need to channel everything through them, which is extremely debilitating. Regardless, I haven't been given any such explicit instructions. More often that not, I've heard this "don't call USCIS" from folks. I'm not sure if its a cultural thing where calling people whom we believe to be in the semblance of authority over adjudicating your fate is a taboo for risk of hurting your own case. All in all, the way I look at it, the attorneys are definitely more effective in illiciting a response from the USCIS. They bear a good point about being careful so as to not mess up your own case, but on the flip side the AOS is your case. I don't see how a call to USCIS could mess your case up, unless you call and are rude and belligerent. Even in those instances, I doubt anyone's going to begrudingly tamper with your case. Its just not done given the system (broken as it may be).

Now, in my case, since I don't have access to my attorneys, and have never spoken to them....I am the only one who's proactive with it. I've read posts where individuals have been persistent and proactive with great success. I dont know if its attributory to their approvals or expeditious handling in any manner, but I don't think I can sit on my hands anymore without feeling like I should be doing something, anything.

And note...when I called the VSC using the POJ, I did so out of sheer exasperation since I wouldn't have had the chutzpah ordinarily. Infopass, no problem, but calling VSC made me feel like I was bucking the system.

Yes, I saw the post about the SSN you're referring to. That is simply not done. USCIS would NEVER....NEVER ask for a person's Social Security Number. EVER. They are not supposed to, and they don't need to. They do not have access to this information, they don't need it and should never ask for it. I STRONGLY feel that the person who was queried for his SSN should immediately send a letter to the Center Director and the Washington DC office. THis is not done and is grounds for termination of the CSR IMHO. Note that your SSN does not appear a single time on any USCIS notices. For AOS, you are nothing but an A number.

prezcalvin said:
Ks_cc,

Hi Prez
Nope, no way to expedite the name check. Again, its not the rule that everyone gets stuck in name check. You and your spouse might clear it in a month! So, keep hope.
Despite the frustration it causes honest and clean cut folks (such as us, even if I say so myself), I understand why they need to do this. I also understand that they're terribly understaffed and woefully underfunded.
Interestingly, I read the CIS Ombudsman's report to Congress in which he argues for removal of the process or drastic changes to it...paraphrasing here.... He has a great point...AOS applicants and Naturalization applicants with name checks pending for several years are free to remain in the nation and work and so on. Whats the purpose of long drawn out checks.
I don't advocate that they abolish it, but they should perhaps fund it better. Again, which of us wouldn't pay a premium fee if we were guaranteed 485 results within a year tops. Heck I know I would. Maybe the 110th congress with their sweeping reforms....one can only hope right.

Thanks KS for the reply.
I will give it a shot sometime next week.

QUOTE=ks_cc]Zeppelin,
Good question, glad you brought that up. I've heard the same thing from a lot of folks. Couldn't tell you if my attorneys would advise that since I've never spoken with them....ever. Company rules dictate that I need to channel everything through them, which is extremely debilitating. Regardless, I haven't been given any such explicit instructions. More often that not, I've heard this "don't call USCIS" from folks. I'm not sure if its a cultural thing where calling people whom we believe to be in the semblance of authority over adjudicating your fate is a taboo for risk of hurting your own case. All in all, the way I look at it, the attorneys are definitely more effective in illiciting a response from the USCIS. They bear a good point about being careful so as to not mess up your own case, but on the flip side the AOS is your case. I don't see how a call to USCIS could mess your case up, unless you call and are rude and belligerent. Even in those instances, I doubt anyone's going to begrudingly tamper with your case. Its just not done given the system (broken as it may be).

Now, in my case, since I don't have access to my attorneys, and have never spoken to them....I am the only one who's proactive with it. I've read posts where individuals have been persistent and proactive with great success. I dont know if its attributory to their approvals or expeditious handling in any manner, but I don't think I can sit on my hands anymore without feeling like I should be doing something, anything.

And note...when I called the VSC using the POJ, I did so out of sheer exasperation since I wouldn't have had the chutzpah ordinarily. Infopass, no problem, but calling VSC made me feel like I was bucking the system.

Yes, I saw the post about the SSN you're referring to. That is simply not done. USCIS would NEVER....NEVER ask for a person's Social Security Number. EVER. They are not supposed to, and they don't need to. They do not have access to this information, they don't need it and should never ask for it. I STRONGLY feel that the person who was queried for his SSN should immediately send a letter to the Center Director and the Washington DC office. THis is not done and is grounds for termination of the CSR IMHO. Note that your SSN does not appear a single time on any USCIS notices. For AOS, you are nothing but an A number.[/QUOTE]

raidohri said:
Hi all,

Thanks
Nan

raidohri,

Here ya go...hope this makes you feel better...

http://www.murthy.com/news/n_nscdel.html

NSC : Delays in Issuance of Receipt Notices
Posted Jan 05, 2007
At the end of December 2006, the Nebraska Service Center (NSC) acknowledged delays in the issuance and transmission of receipt notices. NSC has assigned additional officers to this process in an effort to address the problem. They expect to bring things up to date by mid January 2007.
The NSC established an eMail address for inquiries on cases that have been filed with NSC for more than 15 days, but for which receipts have not been issued. In order to use the eMail service, one must be able to confirm the date of delivery with a tracking number from the delivery service. This eMail address is available to attorneys through the American Immigration Lawyers Association (AILA).
Use of this method of contact should be limited to urgent matters, since the NSC says that they will resolve the problem in two weeks. Thus, for most people it appears that a bit more patience is all that is needed. We at the Murthy Law Firm appreciate efforts on the parts of the NSC and USCIS towards a speedy resolution to this problem.