Concurrent filing problem - I-130 Interview? Urgent!

wilderness1

Registered Users (C)
I was speaking to someone at the US Embassy who confused me by saying that even if you file concurrently within the USA you will still have to attend the consular interview back in your home country (as it is in consular processing) in order to get your I-130 approved. This seems impossible surely, I've seen no mention of this on any articles or forums, surely that would be a well discussed point, but you never know. Perhaps they ( the embassy person)did not fully comprehend my situaton? If that is the case though it is certainly a huge factor.
I would really love to have my doubts cleared up.

Perhaps they were referring to concurrent filing of something other than adjustment of status, like two I-130s filed together for the spouse and stepchild. Or they are referring to a situation where you're not eligible for AOS.

Last edited by a moderator:
I was speaking to someone at the US Embassy who confused me by saying that even if you file concurrently within the USA you will still have to attend the consular interview back in your home country (as it is in consular processing) in order to get your I-130 approved. This seems impossible surely, I've seen no mention of this on any articles or forums, surely that would be a well discussed point, but you never know. Perhaps they ( the embassy person)did not fully comprehend my situaton? If that is the case though it is certainly a huge factor.
I would really love to have my doubts cleared up.

Consular Processing requires an interview for the Immigrant Visa Applicant in connection with the request for issuance of an actual Immigrant Visa which is a step that comes AFTER the I-130 for MOST cases.

Questionable I-130 relationships MAY require an interview and that oddball situation would entail a Consular (or USCIS Overseas Office) interview when the beneficiary named in the I-130 is residing abroad. It is by no means routine.