complete studies date before OPT start day

marscraft

Registered Users (C)
Hi, all,

My friend may get trouble with her I-20. She already applied her opt and EAD began on 09/22/04. The problem is the "complete studies date" on her I-20 is 09/17/04. There is 5-day gap. And actually, she has not submitted her thesis yet. What will happen? What can she do now to keep everything OK?

Thank you very much.

If she is a graduate student, she can do her OPT before graduating. The 5-day gap is fine -- you are supposed to start your OPT within 60 days of the expiration date on your I-20. She needs to make sure that the International office makes an annotation on the third page of her I-20 about her OPT -- that extends her I-20 for another year. :) THey usually make that notation when she applies for OPT. SHe should finish her thesis and graduate before the expiration of her OPT EAD.

Or, if her school allows -- she should get a new I-20 with a new expiration date before her current extended I-20 expires (september of next year?). She needs to prove that she must have additional time to finish her thesis (usually done with a simple form letter from her advisor - her school may have different rules).