Compleicated Issue: H1/I140 and 485

tinyhippo

Registered Users (C)
I am from a non-retrogressed country. My I140 was approved in March this year. EB2. Received the approval email days before my 6th year H1 expired. Priority date was current for EB2. Lawyer filed for H1B extension and I485 immediately.

Few days ago I received the H1B approval for three years.

After reading many articles saying that a three year extension would be granted only if one cannot file for AOS due to visa number unavailability, today I checked my I140 approval notice (Lawyer had sent me a copy) and noticed this phrase being written there "The information submitted with the petition shows that the person for whom you are petitioning is not eligible to file an adjustment of status application at this time".

Now I realize why I have been granted a three year extension.

In the I140, I can see the approval is for EB2 case as it has "Mem of Profession w/Adv Deg or of Exceptn'l Ability Sec 203 (b) (2)" there. That is what I applied for. As I fall under 'other' countries category, I do no understand then why it also says that I am not eligible to file for AOS.

What is going to happen now ? As you can understand, I am in a confused state. I have my 485 case pending. I went for finger print after few weeks of filing. So I think they have accepted my application. They would have rejected it at the beginning if they thought my priority was not current, right ?

I am going to talk to the lawyer tomorrow. I want to see if anyone has any similar experience or can provide some useful comment.

Thank you all.

Last edited by a moderator:
I am from a non-retrogressed country. My I140 was approved in March this year. EB2. Received the approval email days before my 6th year H1 expired. Priority date was current for EB2. Lawyer filed for H1B extension and I485 immediately.

After reading many articles saying that a three year extension would be granted only if one cannot file for AOS due to visa number unavailability,
today I checked my I140 approval notice (Lawyer had sent me a copy) and noticed this phrase being written there "The information submitted with the petition shows that the person for whom you are petitioning is not eligible to file an adjustment of status application at this time".
------what Reason USCIS has given?? I dont know what information was submitted with I-140

In the I140, I can see the approval is for EB2 case as it has "Mem of Profession w/Adv Deg or of Exceptn'l Ability Sec 203 (b) (2)" there. That is what I applied for. As I fall under 'other' countries category, I do no understand then why it also says that I am not eligible to file for AOS.
--------------- USCIS may have explained on approval notice I dont know the reason. Go to your Lawyer and ask the question and check the COPY of I-140 forms that lawyer submitted
What is going to happen now ? As you can understand, I am in a confused state. I have my 485 case pending. I went for finger print after few weeks of filing. So I think they have accepted my application. They would have rejected it at the beginning if they thought my priority was not current, right ?
----you seem to be right
I am going to talk to the lawyer tomorrow. I want to see if anyone has any similar experience or can provide some useful comment.
-----------------------------Update us what the lawyer says
Thank you all.

Provide the full info:
LC filing date
LC approval date
EB2 or EB3?
I-140 filing date
I-140 approval date
H1 EXTENSION filing date (the date H1 extension REACHED USCIS and your I-94 expiry date at the time of H1ext filing date
I-485 filing date
Country of Birth

Did the same lawyer filed LC I-140 , H1 extension and I-485?

After reading many articles saying that a three year extension would be granted only if one cannot file for AOS due to visa number unavailability, today I checked my I140 approval notice (Lawyer had sent me a copy) and noticed this phrase being written there "The information submitted with the petition shows that the person for whom you are petitioning is not eligible to file an adjustment of status application at this time".

Thank you all.

It happened with one of my colleague. I do not think it is problem. His I-486 got approved this week. It is Texas Service center.