Compare US with Canada. Might be useful to all of us!

Canada the place to be

My story is similar to yours Moloy.
Worked in India with 2 employers before coming to a Indian firm in Boston.
Worked for a year , people said "greed is good"...made a jump after approx a year and half in Jan \'01 to a big company paying well.

Due to economic slow-down they laid-off all people(including me :( hired in 2001 in late April.. Lucky enuff for me I had my previous client contacts and good relationships which fetched me a project in May and came in thru another US based company. But not too long......came out of project as it got scrapped and recently fired...... with all "bull talk" that they had a benefit of reimbursing ticket to India as if they were doing a favor....although INS requires it as a law.......

Being smart now, started assembling my PR papers for Canada....and hoping to file soon ....get a job in parallel to survive till I get Landing papers.............and once I get them "Balls to all these people" here..........Im confident I will be successful...........
and once we get a canada PR we can always come back here after sometime...........no problems and same ugly conversations like
" What is your status-Are u a Citizen/do u have a Green Card, sorry client at this point....."

Lets hope for the best.................can always work in McDonalds, CA I guess if I dont get a job unlike the H1B.........

Agreed except for a few things

Jobs at present in IT are not there or are very low paying.
Weather during winter becomes unbearable (especially for me).
Cant take that bitter cold icy wind.
Taxes are very high. Yes the government provides a lot of things,
but how come we pay 15 % on all things you buy. That is ridiculous.
Canada Misses the dynamism that is present in the US (economy and otherwise).

But the other things are right. Life is not a rat race.

Need more information, Please

Hi,

I think anybody of this forum who lived in Vancouver can give some
good advise to one of my indian friend, who is having problem in USA.
He is out of job for 5 month and his H1B visa has been expired.
Fortunately he just received his Canadian PR and now determined to
settle in Canada. He was in very misarable
condition in USA for couple of months since he did not even got a odd
jobs there(they want green card or work permit now for even any kind
of odd jobs). He along with his wife and two sons have to live from
his savings and it is now becoming hard to survive from his balance.
So he is leaving USA for good, and he does not mind to do any "odd
jobs" in Canada if he doesn\'t get his intended jobs for long
times(even 1-2 years).

What do you think if he decide to settle in Vancouver. If he can not
get any intended jobs(since IT jobs is in saturation everywherw now)
then can he survive their by getting odd jobs? What kind of odd jobs
are available and their possible avarage hourly rate? Please also
mention about the cost of living there.

Please advice in details from all points of view keeping in mind that
he has to join any kind of work for surviving and can not
spent much time and money sitting idle.

Thanks.

John

Need more information from Vancouver Residents

Hi,
I think anybody of this forum who lived in Vancouver can give some
good advise to one of my indian friend, who is having problem in USA.
He is out of job for 5 month and his H1B visa has been expired.
Fortunately he just received his Canadian PR and now determined to
settle in Canada. He was in very misarable
condition in USA for couple of months since he did not even got a odd
jobs there(they want green card or work permit now for even any kind
of odd jobs). He along with his wife and two sons have to live from
his savings and it is now becoming hard to survive from his balance.
So he is leaving USA for good, and he does not mind to do any "odd
jobs" in Canada if he doesn\'t get his intended jobs for long
times(even 1-2 years).

What do you think if he decide to settle in Vancouver. If he can not
get any intended jobs(since IT jobs is in saturation everywherw now)
then can he survive their by getting odd jobs? What kind of odd jobs
are available and their possible avarage hourly rate? Please also
mention about the cost of living there.

Please advice in details from all points of view keeping in mind that
he has to join any kind of work for surviving and can not
spent much time and money sitting idle.

Thanks.

John

Birdy, did the Canadian PR document on your passport create any problem while US GC stamping

Also what did you say to the Border people when crossing to USA.

I have the same issue. My company is ready to employ me If I go back and get the GC.

hi moloy bagchi

I am very much immpressed about ur view of thinking.I dont have much experience as you have but still trying to apply for canadian PR.Could u please help me in searching jobs and other info like how to apply for PR.I have gathered few info but appreciate if u can provide me with complete info.

thanks,gary

No Why should it ?

The people living in Canada and going for US GC must have some kind of visa status in Canada. It could be Canadian citizenship, Landed status or a visitor\'s visa. It is normal for Canadian landed immigrants to move back to US once their GC is processed.

You don\'t need to lie or hide anything from the US immigration/customs officers at the border. Tell them the truth about your stay in Canada and your employment in US. You should be fine.

My suggestion.

John,

Your friend is probably not going to like my suggestion but I will make it anyway : If I was in his situation (no job for 5 months and a family of four to support), then I would have left for INDIA and not Canada. There is no shame in going back to your country when the times get tough. His savings in US dollars will last him a lot longer in India than in US or Canada.

Having said that, if he still wants to move to Canada then he must be prepared for some tough times ahead. Specifically:
*) The housing cost in Vancouver area could be as much as $600 - $700 (CDN) per month at the least. He will need at least a two bedroom apartment and live in places like Surrey which is not exactly the best place in Vancouver.
*) The jobs in IT are very hard to find in this economy. If he is willing to do odd jobs then there may be a few openings at grocery stores etc. but those will not be enough to pay all his bills.
*) You may get an idea of the cost of living in other mails on this thread.

If his circumstances are such that he simply CANNOT return to India then he may go to Canada but in the end he must decide whether it is worth it or not. I met many people in Canada who had immigrated there in the peak of their age and career (from other countries), only to spend most of their good years making ends meet and trying to get to the same position in Canada and now that they are settled, they feel that it was not worth it.

So, I\'m sorry I could not give you a better answer. But this is the harsh truth of the matter. I can say this because I have seen it myself (although I was fortunate enough not to experience it).

Good luck to you and your friend.

Education

Hello,

I found this forum very helpful. I heard that Canada recently changed its requirement of college degree for NEW IMMIGRANTs. What I have heard is we have to have at least master\'s degree to apply for PR. Is that true? If you have BS degree in Management Information Systems and a year of work experience in US, how easy it is going to get a PR?

Thanks for your time and good luck to you all.

did you come back to canada immed after getting US GC stamp?

what did the Canadian border people ask?
Did they see the stamp in your passport.

Or you basically entered back as Canadian PR.

I drove back into Canada after US GC Stamp

I had only gone up to the US border post to get my passport stamped. Then I turned back and drove into Canada. Here is how the conversation at the Canadian border post went :

Q) What is your place of residence ?
A) North Delta

Q) For how long were you away from Canada ?
A) I had only gone up to the US border post to get my passport stamped. So the answer is about 30 minutes.

Q) Why did you need to get your passport stamped ?
A) I have recently received US Immigration Visa and I had gone up to the US post to get the passport stamped with it.

Q) Will you be moving to US ?
A) Yes, maybe in a month or a couple of months.

The border officer was satisfied with that reply and she let me proceed to my home in Delta. I entered Canada as a Canadian PR even though my passport had a US GC stamp on it. This was because at that time I was still living in Canada.

I hope that answers your question.

wow! proves that you can have US green card and canadian PR

at the same time for a few months atleast.

so did you get your green card stamped at the peace arch crossing
in blaine or the truck crossing ?

regards
tt tt

Thanks for the excellent post and sharing your experiences.....

I have forever been thinking of going the Canadian PR route. Yes, it is entirely true - you can never plan your life with the GC sword hanging over your head. Will you stay in the US? Or will you have to leave? Not the kind of situation and state of mind that promotes career growth, ambition and innovation I\'d say....

After reading your post and thinking long and hard about this - I think I have now made up my mind to go ahead with it. Thanks for that thought-invoking post.

Unfortunately, all of us have to go through the scrouge of desi consulting firms who are hell bent on exploiting other desis... and unfortunately every once in a while I\'ve had to cross paths with them. Oh well.. let the Shylocks have their pound of flesh - if only as the LAST ALTERNATIVE.

Thanks again...

brat

Hello Moloy!

Great to hear that you have successfully settled! And thank you for the information it really helps! Numbers are really helpful!
I wasn\'t lately checking the Canadian therad, so sorry for my late response. But I always wanted to hear from Toronto area, since I plan to settle in Toronto.

But anyway I (we) am still struggling here with us immigration with not many progress (I only got my labor done). But my work environment is still the same bad situation, and absolutely no stability.
So I am gathering papers to apply for Canadian PR. It takes a long time to get started, hopefully it won\'t be that bad after all papers are in. Although one should definitely apply before June 2002, to fall under the old rules. I may have questions later about it, hope you don;t mind if I\'ll ask.

But again, thank you for your info and good luck to you and your family!