Company not paying for Spouse's I-485/EAD/AP etc

pablasingh

Registered Users (C)
My company is sponsoring my GC and covering the cost. But as we are getting ready to file for 485/EAD/AP etc my company is asking me to cover the attorney and filing costs for my wife (total ~ $1,700)

I just want to know if this is normal practice or just a unique occurance.

Everybodys case is different. Someone has to pay all of the GC cost, some companies pay half and you put half. Some pay for spouse some not. Its just like salary and benefits. Obviously everybody has different pay and benefits, there is no rule !!

If they are not willing to pay for it ask them to deduct if from your pay pretax if they can, so that you are paying for it before tax. They can then pay the lawyer.

My company is sponsoring my GC and covering the cost. But as we are getting ready to file for 485/EAD/AP etc
---- If your company only cover the cost of your I-485, EAD AP and lawyer fees, you can file I-485, EAD AP for your wife once you get your I-485 filing receipt you can do it your self just fill up the I-485 form and AP, EAD form and send the separate check to BCIS with each application and attach your I-485 filing receipt, wife medicals, photographs and required documents with your wife I-485, EAD AP. Or you can find other lawyer who charges less for the spouse
my company is asking me to cover the attorney and filing costs for my wife (total ~ $1,700)
-------- normally if the lawyer is filing the primary applicant I-485 then for spouse they charge around 250 to 300 as attorney fees+ BCIS actual fees for I-485 AP, EAD ( I-485=255, Finger printing=50 EAD=120,AP=110). Your lawyer is asking too much
I just want to know if this is normal practice or just a unique occurrence.
“sertra2002” reply is correct many pay for lawyer fees but actual BCIS fees is normally paid by employee for spouse and it depends what is the policy of your employer

My company is sponsoring my GC and covering the cost. But as we are getting ready to file for 485/EAD/AP etc
---- If your company only cover the cost of your I-485, EAD AP and lawyer fees, you can file I-485, EAD AP for your wife once you get your I-485 filing receipt you can do it your self just fill up the I-485 form and AP, EAD form and send the separate check to BCIS with each application and attach your I-485 filing receipt, wife medicals, photographs and required documents with your wife I-485, EAD AP. Or you can find other lawyer who charges less for the spouse
my company is asking me to cover the attorney and filing costs for my wife (total ~ $1,700)
-------- normally if the lawyer is filing the primary applicant I-485 then for spouse they charge around 250 to 300 as attorney fees+ BCIS actual fees for I-485 AP, EAD ( I-485=255, Finger printing=50 EAD=120,AP=110). Your lawyer is asking too much
I just want to know if this is normal practice or just a unique occurrence.
“sertra2002” reply is correct many pay for lawyer fees but actual BCIS fees is normally paid by employee for spouse and it depends what is the policy of your employer
or do what” iamraka has posted but request your lawyer to reduce the fees for spouse 1700 is to much

Filing yourself

Thanks everyone for the advise and responses. I am exploring options suggested.

ginnu - do you have experience filing for spouse on your own? My concern is that this may delay my wife's case processing but I am not sure about that.

iamraka - do you have first hand experience with pretax pay deduction to cover these costs? is this expense eligible for pre-tax pay deduction? I have also asked my HR to find out but the initial response is not encouraging

“do you have experience filing for spouse on your own? My concern is that this may delay my wife's case processing but I am not sure about that.”

Yes- it will not delay the I-485 process of your wife once you get your I-485 filing receipt then attach your receipt and write in the cover letter that your wife I-485 should be attached to your pending I-485 file or case #. BCIS will attach that I-485 with your I-485 file

Singh Saheb ji, If you need any help that will be provided.

Good Luck!!!

ginnu - thanks for the help.

I will be filing for my wife on my own after I get my140/485/131/EAD receipts. I have read all the instructions etc on the required forms and am well aware of the required supporting documents. But some of the postings on this forum suggest submitting documents that are not asked for by BCIS example:
- W2 forms
- Educational credentials
- All documents must be "notarized"

I do not think any of the above is required for spouse's 485/131/765 filing. BCIS does not ask for notarized copies.

What is your experience?

ginnu - thanks for the help.

I will be filing for my wife on my own after I get my140/485/131/EAD receipts.
--- Only I-485 filing receipt is needed to file your wife I-485 EAD, AP if you attach I-140 filling receipt it will not hurt. Don’t forget to attach notarized affidavit of support from your side with wife I-485 package
I have read all the instructions etc on the required forms and am well aware of the required supporting documents. But some of the postings on this forum suggest submitting documents that are not asked for by BCIS example:
- W2 forms
------ For spouse it is not needed but you can submit it with your I-485 so that they don’t ask it later (Not needed with your spouse I-485)
- Educational credentials
---------Not needed for your wife I-485
- All documents must be "notarized"
-------- No, only affidavit of support is to be notarized
I do not think any of the above is required for spouse's 485/131/765 filing. BCIS does not ask for notarized copies.
----- You are correct.
----- When you complete the package for your wife I-485 filing, make the copy of each document or the complete package and keep one package with you for your record what you sent to BCIS.
Good Luck!!!