Communist Party membership: question on N-400

teemcafe

Registered Users (C)
Hello, new member here.

I hail from a former one-party communist dictatorship. We all had to become members of the communist youth. As adults, the best university students/employees, etc were often pressured into joining the communist party. Like all kids, I too had to become a member of the communist youth, and later the communist party (I had no activity other than nominal membership). I mentioned this on my green card application and included a brief explanation on a separate sheet.

As I'm filling out my n-400 form, there is the check box for the 'communist party' affiliation. There's no option to explain.

Any suggestion what to do? Should I attach again a brief explanation even though there's no such option stated, or should I just check the mark and hope that they'll understand?

Thanks in advance!

You are not a current member of communist party, are you ? If no then your answer should have been no .. I too was a member of something like that for a two days when I was 9 years old , two days later soviet union broke down ;) Back then people were forsed to do this and that , you should've think like soviet wants you think , read what soviet wants you to read, etc..

Thanks. It makes some sense that you didn t mention it, you were a child and all kids had to join.

In my case I was a young adult and it lasted for a few years until the fall of the regime. Also the question is 'have you ever', and I already listed it on my green card application hence my dilema.

You did the right thing in answering YES. You could attach a separate sheet with the explanation, it will not hurt anything. You will be allowed to explain at the interview, also.

Thanks for the replies.

I'll definitely answer yes since that is the truth. I could also attach an explanation as long as it doesn't hurt. Maybe the reason there's no option or requirement to explain on N-400 is that there's an interview for citizenship, whereas for green card there was none.

Yes, I highly doubt they ask any questions if you say yes ..I didn't say anything because I was 9 and didn't even know what is going on ..

Yes, I highly doubt they ask any questions if you say yes ..I didn't say anything because I was 9 and didn't even know what is going on ..
Laluna, at age 9 you could not be a member of Communist party or any other affiliated organization. Oktiabriata and Pioneers don't count.

Laluna, at age 9 you could not be a member of Communist party or any other affiliated organization. Oktiabriata and Pioneers don't count.

I was Oktiabrenok for 2 days and was very upset when they took my patch away . Wow , I didn't know that .

I was Oktiabrenok for 2 days and was very upset when they took my patch away . Wow , I didn't know that .

I was an Oktiabrenok and, later, a Pioneer prior to my family leaving Russia. Just out of curiosity, why was your pin taken away?

If USCIS pubilish a summary of N-400 or I-485 questions answers and summary is
done by applicanrs original countries, I doubt you will see a high percent for Yes
to that question. I doubt that The majoprity people are that honest.

I was an Oktiabrenok and, later, a Pioneer prior to my family leaving Russia. Just out of curiosity, why was your pin taken away?

Not because I was bad or anything like that . I remember that all of the sudden it all changed . Pins were taken away , pioneers weren't wearing red ties, even the book we read in class were taken away .It 1991 and that's when soviet union broke down .