Common Sense and helpfulness aren't dead at POEs

TheRealCanadian

Volunteer Moderator
... which is really surprising since some of the nastiest INS people I've run into have been at the ports of entry. To be fair, some of the nicest, too.

I recently returned via Atlanta Hartsfield Airport from the United Kingdom for a brief sight-seeing visit. My passport was about to expire, which is why I travelled when I did.

I proceeded to inspection, handing over my I-129 approval, my passport and the I-94. (My AP expired months ago and I never bothered renewing it.) The inspector checked the petition in CLAIMS, and was about to stamp the I-94 when he noticed that my passport would expire in 5 days. "Do you know your passport will expire next week?" I said yes, but I didn't want to send it away for six weeks with this trip coming up.

He then informed me he could admit me just until my passport expired (which would be a pain as I'd need to file an I-539 to extend the I-94, even though the H is valid until 2004), but since he trusted me to renew it, he'd let me in until my H expired. Phew.

Nice to see that there are still some decent folks on the front lines,.