Columbus OH - N-400 Timeline

Interesting...!!
I got a notice today with instructions to bring state issued drivers license or state issued photo ID for the interview. But, there was no interview date mentioned. Thanks to USCIS.

Is it the yellow letter people write about? I didn't get one.

I called USCIS this morning. They explained that its only case review letter and my interview follows soon. thanks

I had my interview on 9/25 at 9 AM at Columbus, OH. It went well, quick and I got a letter saying that I passed the test etc. Immigration officer told me that as I have not yet completed 5-year anniversary of GC, I can not be scheduled for oath, and I should get a schedule letter in two weeks time.

Interview itself did not last more than 5 mins. After verifying GC and the appointment letter, she (immigration officer) first went over N-400 apps again. It followed by instructions to read and write a sentence in English. ( something like ... Reading: Who elects Congress? Writing: People elect congress ). This followed by six civic questions ( Who wrote the declaration of Independence? Two major political parties ? State adjacent to Mexico ? etc...). And then I was done. It took not more than five minutes. Staff was reasonably friendly, and wore kind of matter of fact attitude.

People from Columbus in N-400 que: I will be happy to share more specifics if you are interested. Please drop me an email. We can possibly talk as well.

On a side note : I parked on the Front street at metered parking. Good that I had enough quarters. You can park here for up to two hours. It was OK for me as I was back there within 30 mins.

I had my interview on 9/25 at 9 AM at Columbus, OH. It went well, quick and I got a letter saying that I passed the test etc. Immigration officer told me that as I have not yet completed 5-year anniversary of GC, I can not be scheduled for oath, and I should get a schedule letter in two weeks time.

Interview itself did not last more than 5 mins. After verifying GC and the appointment letter, she (immigration officer) first went over N-400 apps again. It followed by instructions to read and write a sentence in English. ( something like ... Reading: Who elects Congress? Writing: People elect congress ). This followed by six civic questions ( Who wrote the declaration of Independence? Two major political parties ? State adjacent to Mexico ? etc...). And then I was done. It took not more than five minutes. Staff was reasonably friendly, and wore kind of matter of fact attitude.

People from Columbus in N-400 que: I will be happy to share more specifics if you are interested. Please drop me an email. We can possibly talk as well.

On a side note : I parked on the Front street at metered parking. Good that I had enough quarters. You can park here for up to two hours. It was OK for me as I was back there within 30 mins.

CONGRATS! Mine will be in roughly two weeks. And I won't have completed 5 years as well.

Thanks for the update and keep us in loop over your Oath Letter/Date

TIMELINE
5 Year Based N-400
GC Date: Oct 27, 2004
FO: Columbus, OH
07/31/2009 (Day 1): N-400 Mailed to Phoenix, AZ (Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation)
08/03/2009 (Day 4): N-400 Delivered @ Phoenix, AZ
08/06/2009 (Day 7): Check Cleared
08/08/2009 (Day 9): NOA Received (Receipt Date/Notice Date/Priority Date: 08/03/2009)
08/17/2009 (Day 18): FP Notice Received
08/19/2009 (Day 20): FP Done (Walk-in, Original Appointment: 08/25/2009)
09/01/2009 (Day 33): Status changes to "This case has been sent for a standard interview."
09/02/2009 (Day 34): Interview Letter Received
10/09/2009 (Day x): Interview Date

Had interview this morning.

Got there 30 minutes early. There was one person in front of me. He got called 10 minutes after I got there. His took more than 40 minutes.

Then I get called. Took the oath about being truthful. Officer was very nice. Went thru the application, 6 easy questions and simple thing to read and write. Was done in 10 minutes. The officer gave a letter that I had passed the Civics and English and said I would get the approval after Oct, 28th.

That's it. Simple and straight forward.

TIMELINE
5 Year Based N-400
07/31/2009 (Day 1): N-400 Mailed to Phoenix, AZ (Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation)
08/08/2009 (Day 9): NOA Received (Receipt Date/Notice Date/Priority Date: 08/03/2009)
09/01/2009 (Day 33): Status changes to "This case has been sent for a standard interview."
10/09/2009 (Day 72): Interview Done & Passed
xx/xx/xxxx (Day 00): Oath Letter
xx/xx/xxxx (Day 00): Oath Date

Congratulation, Rashmi.

I am still waiting for my oath letter. does anyone know about any planned oath ceremony in Columbus, OH.

Thanks,
Nilabh

I received an oath letter on this Friday 10/16 for the oath on 11/12. Time-line for events so far:

N-400 application sent: July 15,2009
• N-400 Receive date (USCIS) July 16, 2009
• Priority Date: July 16, 2009
• I-797C Notice of Action: (Notice date): July 20, 2009
• Date I received I-797C: July 24, 2009
• Fingerprint notification (notice date): July 23, 2009
• Finger print notification ( date I received): July 27, 2009
• Finger printing scheduled: Aug. 11, 2009
• Interview Letter Received:
• Interview : Sept. 25, 2009
• Oath letter received : Oct. 16, 2009
• Oath : November 12, 2009

I received an oath letter on this Friday 10/16 for the oath on 11/12. Time-line for events so far:

CONGRATS! Will have to see if I get the same date. I won't complete my 5 years till Oct 27th.

TIMELINE
5 Year Based N-400

TIMELINE
5 Year Based N-400
GC Date: August 22, 1986
09/16/2009 (Day 1): N-400 Mailed to Phoenix, AZ (Priority Mail with Delivery Confirmation)
09/18/2009 (Day 3): N-400 Delivered @ Phoenix, AZ
09/25/2009 (Day 9): Check Cleared
09/26/2009 (Day 10): NOA Received (Receipt Date/Notice Date/Priority Date: 09/22/2009)
10/5/2009 (Day 19): FP Notice Received
10/20/2009 (Day 34): FP Done (Appointment: 10/20/2009)

I have found this forum, and particularly this thread, to be very helpful. My husband probably has one of the oldest green cards in Columbus, and after going through the lastest round of "I've never seen one of these before" upon renewing his driver's license, he finally agreed to become a citizen. Yes, it obviously makes sense for those with the newer green cards, but for someone who came in under the old rules, it just didn't seem that urgent. However, the rules keep changing, and we'd like to do some traveling, so after 23years of continuous residence in the US, he finally agreed that becoming a citizen was the thing to do.

Anyway, he went in for fingerprints on Tuesday, and I just wanted to say that the experience was surprisingly pleasant. I was expecting security checks upon entering the building. Instead, the guy at the desk just said, "There's the elevators. It's on the 9th floor." It only took about 15 minutes, as there was no line.

FYI, regarding parking: There's plenty of parking meters north of Broad on Front St. However, if you go south on Front St., you run into construction/demolition of City Center. Due to traffic, we ended up on Marconi, north of Long. There's plenty of parking there, but it was a bit of a hike to the corner of Broad and Front. Nevertheless, it was a nice day, so we didn't mind.

Cheers,

KJD

Hi All,

I just joined this forum after several weeks of browsing. This is very helpful information. My details are below. My wife's details are same.

Does anyone know if Columbus offers same day oath? We have our interview on Nov 12 at 1:40pm and it looks like columbus_home has oath that same day. Our 5 years were complete in July so we would not have to wait for 5 year anniv.

Thanks!

Hi All,

I just joined this forum after several weeks of browsing. This is very helpful information. My details are below. My wife's details are same.

Does anyone know if Columbus offers same day oath? We have our interview on Nov 12 at 1:40pm and it looks like columbus_home has oath that same day. Our 5 years were complete in July so we would not have to wait for 5 year anniv.

Thanks!

Think you'll have to wait for the next one. Columbus oaths are held at a courthouse and not at the same facility as say in Atlanta. That alone makes it difficult for them to transalate the same day interview to same day oath. IMO. I might be wrong.

Interview

Finally, I had an interview yesterday. I could not believe even now that my experience was so painful and hostile.
The whole interview process went on for about 20minutes. The IO asked me first question as "did you ever leave the country during last 5 years" . I said "no"
The IO asked me that he wants check my passport to make sure I did not travel outside USA.
what a start...!!
To make long story short, I did pass the interview and waiting for the oath ceremony.

Finally, I had an interview yesterday. I could not believe even now that my experience was so painful and hostile.
The whole interview process went on for about 20minutes. The IO asked me first question as "did you ever leave the country during last 5 years" . I said "no"
The IO asked me that he wants check my passport to make sure I did not travel outside USA.
what a start...!!
To make long story short, I did pass the interview and waiting for the oath ceremony.

What? That's all your telling us? What happened at interview to make it so painful and hostile?

Interview experience

Hi All,

My wife and I had our interviews yesterday (11/12/09). Our experience could not have been better. We were in and out in 30 minutes. The interview itself took all of 10 minutes and went very smoothly. We both had different officers but had the same set of questions, etc. and a very professional interview. We both passed and now are waiting for oath letters. My officer told me that it might take upto a month to get the letter and because of the holidays, may take a little longer to get it scheduled since that is done by the court directly.

The interview consisted of taking the oath to tell the truth followed by a review of every question on the application. I had to read one sentence "What country is to the north of US" and write one sentence "Canada is to the north of US". Then the officer asked me 6 questions from a preprinted sheet with 10 questions. As soon as I answered the first 6 correctly, she stopped. She entered some information in the computer and gave me a letter saying that I passed the interview. My wife and I walked out of the building in just about 30 minutes from when we entered.

MA

Last edited by a moderator:

Columbus_HOme. How was your Oath Experience?

Made an InfoPass appointment on Nov. 10th to check on the status. To see if I could get into Nov 12th Oath. They had put my file on hold. The officer didn't know why my file was on hold until I told about my interview; which was scheduled way too early on Oct. 10th. And the IO had said I would receive a decision after Oct. 28th.

The officer at INFOPASS said he'll put the file back in track, but due to holiday season it would be a while for me to hear :( I probably need to apply to get an Indian Passport (my current one has expired)

TIMELINE
5 Year Based N-400

Oath

I am sorry to hear that they did not schedule you for Nov 12th Oath ceremony.
The next Oath ceremony is on December 15th (Tuesday). I am sure you will be scheduled on that day, if not, take another infoPass.
Hope to meet you on that day.

Either they might forgotten or they is no indicator in the system that reminds that your oath has to be scheduled. One of the disadvatages of earlier interview.

If you do not receive oath letter in a week or two, schedule info appointment. If everything cleared, they can even print oath letter on the spot. Not sure why didn't they do that earlier, as your case has been approved.

Why do you need get a new passport anyway unless you are planning to travel to India?

Either they might forgotten or they is no indicator in the system that reminds that your oath has to be scheduled. One of the disadvatages of earlier interview.

If you do not receive oath letter in a week or two, schedule info appointment. If everything cleared, they can even print oath letter on the spot. Not sure why didn't they do that earlier, as your case has been approved.

Why do you need get a new passport anyway unless you are planning to travel to India?

The officer said he's gonna put my case back on track (off hold). And I should expect oath letter in mail. When asked why can't I get a oath letter printed he said there are other waiting ahead of me in queue.

Indian passport b'cos need some travel document if I need to rush back for any emergency. Have old parents. Have heard enough emergency stories from friends, so it's better to be ready to travel than struggle in the last minute.

Let's see if I can get the Dec 15th oath.

Can't they find the next available slot for oath in the system and print the oath letter on the spot? You are not asking him to put you ahead of others. Sometimes we have to wonder whether they are thinking properly?

From the date they send you oath letter, you should prepare to expect it willl be a month time for your oath date. I doubt you get Dec 15th date. Schedule infopass again if you didn't receive oath letter in one or two weeks.

If you want to prepare for emergency travel before you become citizen, better option is (as Columbus is under NY Indian embassy jurisdiction), either you can drive or fly to embassy to apply for new passport in morning and get it on same day. Check the web site. You can mail, but it takes time.

The moment you take oath, you are American and not Indian and you cannot use Indian passport. You must get US passport and Indian visa.

1) Once you know the oath date, call the automated system and schedule earliest morning appointment the next day (depends how soon you want US passport). You can schedule at any one of the passport agencies. But you have to drive or fly for the appointment. If you give the application in morning, before afternoon you will get US passport.

2) Next step is to get Indian visa. OCI visa is best option, but it will take 3 months. My suggestion is apply for visitor visa (costs $170 for 10 year multi entry visa) and then or at same time apply for OCI visa. You have to goto NY Indian visa outsourcing agency and schedule morning appointment. You can get visitor visa on same day. This way you will be ready to travel within two days of becoming US citizen.

Otherwise, if you mail the applications, it can be a month to get both US passport and Indian visa (for OCI visa, add another 2 motnhs). This choice is uneasy one, as you cannot travel within a day notice. Also all your original documents get struck in mail or at embassy. Though rare, then there is fear of losing original documents in the mail.

If you go personally, you have to bear travel expenses and lose two working days (depend on method of travel).

The quickest way to prepare for travel is, get passport appointment in one of the agencies in or near to NY city (example New York, Philadelphia, Norwalk, Boston), get the US passport by afternoon, stay the night nearby, and next day morning goto Indian visa outsourcing agency in New York at 57th street and
1st Avenue (Indian embassy outsourced to private agency for visa applications), submit the application, collect the visitor visa by evening. If you get passport by afternoon, you can also give visa application same day instead of next day morning. They accept applications before 4PM, but you collect visa next day evening only.

This is quickest method and within two days, you get both passport and visa and ready to travel.

Make sure you have all filled applications and necessary documents and you have appoinments. Check websites.