Class of Admission: Reference

ari4u

Registered Users (C)
If you entered US as an immigrant or adjusted your status within the US, you have a "Class of Admission" code attached to your immigration status.

I have attached a document in the AOS Interview timeline thread that shows a list of all class codes used by USCIS.

If you entered US as a non-immigrant, the visa you used to enter US is your class of admission.

If you entered US illegally without an inspection, you DONT have a class of admission.

Thanks Ari. That AOS Timeline thread has become a great information source and help for me and surely for most of us here! I am so grateful. :)

Do I understand it correctly: Those codes, are they for immigrants or pending immigrants?
And the visa used for entry for non-immigrants?

patty579 said:
Thanks Ari. That AOS Timeline thread has become a great information source and help for me and surely for most of us here! I am so grateful. :)

Do I understand it correctly: Those codes, are they for immigrants or pending immigrants?
And the visa used for entry for non-immigrants?

These codes are for immigrants only. You will get one when your AOS is approved.
For non-immigrants or pending immigrants, their class of admission is the visa they used to enter.

Please help me!!!

I am a Canadian citizen who entered the US to visit my then boyfriend(who is an American citizen) without a visa (as the US govt allows Canadians to enter for a 6 month period without a visa).

I have been here for 4 weeks and my boyfriend and were married 5 days ago. I am currently filling out my I-131 and Part 1 item 3 request "Class of Admission" and since i entered as a visitor and was not engaged at this time i cannot enter my Class of Admission as k1. I have reviewed all the posts giving definitions of different Visa codes however none stating "Visitor" and i cannot leave it blank as that would mean that i entered the USA illegally

What do i do guys???

You entered on the visa waiver program which is an automatic B1/B2 nonimmigrant business/tourist visa for 90 days only. Indicate visa waiver. You must file before the 90 days are up or else you have to go abroad and do consular processing. (That issue has already gone to court.)

Since you have married, your HUSBAND files the I-130 petition for you as his wife. At the same time and all together in the same envelope, YOU file the I-485, I-131 and I-765 for adjustment of status (3 forms are included in 1 fee plus you pay biometrics fee). New fees begin Nov 23, that is the date they receive it NOT the postmark date.

If you file for adjustment, you cannot leave the U.S. until you receive the advance parole document based on the I-131 (it may take 3 months or so). If you leave without AP, your adjustment is deemed abandonded and MUST be denied, you will be barred from entering without an immigrant visa issued abroad. That visa would require additional forms to be filed abroad.

Choose your course of action with these restrictions and limitations in mind. Can you stay long enough to go through adjustment or at least long enough to get advance parole?

Last edited by a moderator: