Class action Motion Was filed Today

Rajiv,
I have just checked the list of signature for Backlogs in I-485 Processing, and found the following message almost at the bottom.
Aram Arumugam
CA US
ND: 9/26/2001
RD: 11/1/2001
******* A SAD STORY *******
I am perhaps the worst affected because of the I-485 processing delays.My husband is the primary applicant on our Green Card application. Our AOS receipt date is Septemeber 2001. Since then we were patiently waiting for about 28 months for our I-485 approval. In the midst of this, the most unfortuante thing happened. My husband passed away on Feb 2004 and I am told that the US Govt. can do nothing to give me any kind of support. Had this delay not been there and our papers processed within the time promised, may be I shouldn't have to leave the country within a week as I did now. I want someone to lend an ear to my problem and do something to help me out. I have been working all through my stay in the U.S which about seven years have been paying my taxes.Along with my husband we had literally put our lives on hold until we got our Green Cards. If the Govt. can bring in some motion into protecting such people, atleast in the future someone wouldn't have to go through what I am going through now.

Originally posted by kashmir
Rajiv,
I have just checked the list of signature for Backlogs in I-485 Processing, and found the following message almost at the bottom.

Extremely sad indeed. This is the extreme that could happen to anyone of us who is going through AOS. I am pretty sure that USCIS would tout the law and reject the green card. First the community’s heart felt deep condolences to the lady and second this incident should deepen our resolve to stand against the injustice that is being done to us.

Rajiv, would it be wise to send this incident to the USCIS’s legal representative and/or to the honorable judge, to demonstrate how dearly USCIS’s action (rather inaction) is costing the very people who have been contributing to the nation’s economy.

that incident is extremely sad indeed...

i hope the court realizes the problems on our side and give a decision fast, as well as recommend the legislators for some changes to provide protection against these sort of incidents.

GOD BLESS EVERYONE!!!

edit- and yeah i hope _they_ (whoever is responsible for the misrepresentation of the facts) get punished!!! how come nobody notices this sort of absurdity?

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: APPROVED, per online status!

Originally posted by dilemma_struck
As per the online case status page, my application was approved on March 11, 04. When I read of the approval online, that had been granted after many long months months of being on tenterhooks, I didn't even know how to react. I almost became hysterical and incomprehensible - my husband thought I was having a stroke :) To think that we have been reduced to feeling so grateful for what should be a rightful occurance for us...!!!
Why do I subject this community, whom I barely know through posts and emails, to this extremely personal and emotional harangue? Because I want to know how I can still help out... I think the way we are being/ have been treated is deplorable, and I would like to help in any way possible to right this situation. Without going on and on like a supposedly "surprised" Oscar winner, I just want to say thanks to everyone in this community who suffered through this with me for their help and support.
- vn

Congrats on your approval. We (core team members), with the active help of Rajiv Khanna, are working on forming the organisation to fight for legal immigrants. We have already incorporated the new organisation as "immigrationportal.org" and currently we are designing that website (www.immigrationportal.org). It should be open for public within 10 or 15 days. Once we are ready, we will collect donations from people and use that money to fight for our rights. So please try to visit that site after 2 weeks.

Besides using as an example of 485 backlog hardship, we as a community should help in anyway we can! This lady should definitely get in touch with Rajiv to file a personal case.

Rajiv,

Originally posted by hidden_dragon
I don't know if it would help her to get in touch with her congressman and senator?

It is very sad one...I realised that when I read a similar story with the primary applicant passing away in a car accident.

I don't want to sound pessimistic but apart helping her morally and may be some kind of financial help, legally we cannot do anything.
We can avoid this in future if we can introduce reforms or if we achieve our eight point settlement agenda....

-rajum

Rajiv,

Aram Arumugam
CA US
ND: 9/26/2001
RD: 11/1/2001
******* A SAD STORY *******
I am perhaps the worst affected because of the I-485 processing delays.My husband is the primary applicant on our Green Card application. Our AOS receipt date is Septemeber 2001. Since then we were patiently waiting for about 28 months for our I-485 approval. In the midst of this, the most unfortuante thing happened. My husband passed away on Feb 2004 and I am told that the US Govt. can do nothing to give me any kind of support. Had this delay not been there and our papers processed within the time promised, may be I shouldn't have to leave the country within a week as I did now. I want someone to lend an ear to my problem and do something to help me out. I have been working all through my stay in the U.S which about seven years have been paying my taxes.Along with my husband we had literally put our lives on hold until we got our Green Cards. If the Govt. can bring in some motion into protecting such people, atleast in the future someone wouldn't have to go through what I am going through now.

This is a very poignant case and if I had the power I would approve you right away (conditionally if not fully).

Which leads me to beileve that the people in power will definitely help. America is kind and compassionate so speak to your congressman and senator and write to the President the way you have moved us here.
Your GC is the least America can do to sympathize with you.

Stay strong.

There was a reason for the two subclasses

Originally posted by ThelastMile
Thank you Mr Khanna.

Just curious,
1) Were the signatures submitted? How many signatures did we get? I see that the petition has 1100+ signatures, but there are duplicates as well. Hoping that it is more than a 1000 unique signatures (unfortunately well short of original goal of 10,000)
2) The request for two subclasses : Members (and their derivative beneficiaries) and non members of immigrationportal.com. Looks like it was done for some strategic reason. Please comment on it, if significant.

Regarding 2., we had our reasons but they are more a matter of addressing aome possible legal obstacles than anything else. No impact on the lawsuit.

Re: APPROVED, per online status!

Originally posted by dilemma_struck
As per the online case status page, my application was approved on March 11, 04. When I read of the approval online, that had been granted after many long months months of being on tenterhooks, I didn't even know how to react. I almost became hysterical and incomprehensible - my husband thought I was having a stroke :) To think that we have been reduced to feeling so grateful for what should be a rightful occurance for us...!!!
Why do I subject this community, whom I barely know through posts and emails, to this extremely personal and emotional harangue? Because I want to know how I can still help out... I think the way we are being/ have been treated is deplorable, and I would like to help in any way possible to right this situation. Without going on and on like a supposedly "surprised" Oscar winner, I just want to say thanks to everyone in this community who suffered through this with me for their help and support.
- vn

Congratulations. Nicely put.

As to what you folks can do:

Contact friends and family. Contact the media. Contact community orgaizations, other online forums like we have here, sympathetic employers... the more people, the better. Make everyone aware of the issues. I will tell you this, one or two articles about your problems in national news will get the ball rolling. CIS will not settle without some more public pressure.

Originally posted by coolglobal1
This is a very poignant case and if I had the power I would approve you right away (conditionally if not fully).

Which leads me to beileve that the people in power will definitely help. America is kind and compassionate so speak to your congressman and senator and write to the President the way you have moved us here.
Your GC is the least America can do to sympathize with you.

Stay strong.

Aram has been in touch with me. The govt. has indicated they can do nothing. The only way she can be helped is if a Congressman were to take up her case and present a Private Bill for her green card.

I have not kept up with this. What does this mean?

Tomarrow I was taking my wife to file for an I -485. Should I just go ahead and mail it in or should I go to Arlington in the morning to file. What should I do.

Originally posted by operations
Aram has been in touch with me. The govt. has indicated they can do nothing. The only way she can be helped is if a Congressman were to take up her case and present a Private Bill for her green card.
> Aram has been in touch with me.

I am pleased to hear that you (Rajiv) are helping her.

> The govt. has indicated they can do nothing.
> The only way she can be helped is if a Congressman were to take up her case and present a Private Bill for her green card.

This was what I thought because I remembered my representative Anna Eshoo used to mention, so I wrote to Anna Eshoo last Friday.

THANKS RAJIV

HI RAJIV,

I SINCERELY HOPE THAT OUR EFFORTS BEAR SOME FRUIT AND ATLEAST ALL THE CASES IN BACKLOG ARE COVERED.

MY PERSONAL SITUATION IS SINCE APRIL 2001 I AM IN THE GC PROCESS. ME AND MY WIFE HAVE MISSED OUT ON EMPLOYMENT OPPORTUNITIES AND WE HAVE TO PAY EXHORBITANT INSURANCE.

IF THE CURRENT TIMEFRAMES ARE ANY INDICATIONS IT WILL PROBABLY BE MAY 2005 WHEN I WILL GET MY GC. I BOUGHT A HOUSE AND WORKING ON EAD. SO I AM VIRTUALLY ON THE EDGE.

I CAN'T UNDERSTAND THE PURPOSE OF SUCH A DELAY. WHY ARE THEY NOT APPROVING 485 IMMEDIATELY AFTER 140 IS AGREAT MYSTERY, SINCE NOW 140 ITSELF TAKES >1 YEAR AND THE FP IS ALREADY DONE.

IT IS HERE I FEEL THE INDIAN COMMUNITY AND LEADERSHIP WHO ARE THE FIGUREHEADS OF VARIOUS ORG, VYING TO GET PUBLICITY
SHOULD BE A STRONG SUPPORTER. THE HISPANICS HAVE BEEN ABLE TO GET EVEN ILLEGAL IMMIGRANTS A VOICE BECAUSE OF THEIR STRONG LEADERSHIP.

I STRONGLY DESIRE THAT THE 485 TIMES SHOULD NOW BE EXPEDIATED. WE AS TAX PAYER AT LEAST DESERVE THIS.

THANKS AGAIN

Hi, Happy New Year, everyone!

May anybody here can help me to find out the Newark District Immigration Office Director's name? It is urgent. Help Please.