citizenship - wife

harsha_c

Registered Users (C)
All,

I am GC Holder working on citizenship in next 3 1/2 years... My wife is in India and cannot come here. Can i apply for her citizenship along with me with proof of marriage? or she would have to get a GC as my deperndent once i become citizen and later work on her citizenship eligibility?

thanks

You cannot sponsor your wife for a GC unless you are a citizen. Also I don't think she can apply for citizenship at the same time as you because she won't meet the residency requirement. The rule is 3 years married to a US citizen + residency or 5 years GC holder if sponsored by an employer.

All,

I am GC Holder working on citizenship in next 3 1/2 years... My wife is in India and cannot come here. Can i apply for her citizenship along with me with proof of marriage? or she would have to get a GC as my deperndent once i become citizen and later work on her citizenship eligibility?

thanks
You can't apply for your wife's citizenship based on your marriage. You would have to sponsor her first to come over to the US so that she can apply for permanent residency.

...she would have to get a GC as my deperndent once i become citizen and later work on her citizenship eligibility?

That is how it would work, except that if you file for her now it might be possible for her to get a GC before you become a citizen, depending on how fast the family 2A category moves.

HI I plan to apply for my wife I130 now hoping she will get it in next 3 1/2 years. Any experiences of Indian nationals in this aspect on how fast the process has been.

Later if I get my citizenship before her I130 approval can I apply for her green card as wife to a US citizen even when I have applied I130 for her in the past?
Can she have two applications for her GC approval?

Any suggestions based on current time lines on how to go about this....

thanks a lot.

Things are going very fast now in the visa bulletin. If it doesn't retrogress or stagnate she can probably get the GC in less than a year.

If you get citizenship before I-130 approval, or even after I-130 approval but before she completes the formalities at the consulate, you wouldn't file a new I-130, you would get the existing I-130 upgraded to be for the spouse of a US citizen.

Just file for I-130 and she would be here in 6-8months+ .
As per latest Visa Bulletin for October, F2A priority date is 01 April 2010.
By the time her I-130 is approved your priority date would be most likely eligible for VISA number.

That is how it would work, except that if you file for her now it might be possible for her to get a GC before you become a citizen, depending on how fast the family 2A category moves.

The most recent visa bulletin show family 2A catwegory is very fast. Don't know if this is a fast appearing and then fast dispeparing window or not. Usually it takes 5 years but nowit is less than 2 years

I130 SPEED - real thing?

Jackolantern/aztekbs/WBH

Just wondering if this speed in processing is for real and a long term thing or there is a chance of things going back to old time frame ( 4 to 5 years?).... Would the October bulletin suggest this is real thing as I read somewhere that the October bulletin would be good indicator as it is beginning of year or something for CIS numbers ...

thanks again

October is the start of the new fiscal year, so the progress of the F2A category which is continuing into October is not just a short-term scrambling to utilize unused visa numbers before the September 30 cutoff. Things should continue to look good for the rest of the fiscal year.

I totally agree with Jackolantern....It should stay like this if not improve further.....
Also, your best course of action would be to start the process by filing I-130 as it is the first step whether you are citizen or LPR. If the dates retrogress for whatever reason at a later time and you become citizen, then you can always upgrade your application to 'spouce of a citizen' category and it would continue from there....that way you wont lose time anywhere......

Hi Jackolantern/aztekbs

Just a follow up on I130 for my wife. My wife had applied for US student visa twice before marriage and got a rejection.

Just wondering if that would have any bearing on her I130 immigrant visa application (F2A category) I am about to apply for her in future.
Should I be concerned about the past history.....

Thanks for assistance

Hi Jackolantern/aztekbs

Just a follow up on I130 for my wife. My wife had applied for US student visa twice before marriage and got a rejection.

Just wondering if that would have any bearing on her I130 immigrant visa application (F2A category) I am about to apply for her in future.

Thanks for assistance

It won't have a bearing on the I-130. It will be a clear intent on her part that she want to immigrate to the US, it is possible US Embassy suspected she didn't have aspiration to study, so they denied her visa application. I don't see how her past visa rejection could hamper her I-130 application. Just go ahead and file immediately, with each passing date, her priority date is delayed. As Jack and other indicated, if any history of the F2A is anything to go by, you could be enjoying your wife next Spring 2011.

Depends on the reason for rejection. If it's just because of insufficient funds or the expectation of immigrant intent, it won't hurt for the I-130.

Hi,

What does this mean for F2A Category ( I 130 for wife )? The september bulletin detailed the PD dates as April 2010.

DOS Letter Informs Of Visa Numbers unavailability Until October 1, 2010
Submitted by Editor on Sep 28th 2010

Effective from Thursday, September 16, 2010 there will be no further visa authorizations in response to requests for any FAMILY preference category, Employment based cases (EB-2, EB-3, Other workers, EB-4, and Certain Religious Workers). FY2011 numbers will be available on 10/01/10.

Thanks

It means the annual quota has been used up for those categories, but the quota will reset again on October 1st. You are not affected because you are still months away from the time when they will assign a visa number from the quota to your wife (which is done shortly prior to the interview).