Citizenship revoking

Argmazze1

Is it possible to have a new citizenship revoked? Someone told me they may get their citizenship revoked if it was discovered they worked a few years in an under the table job and did not pay taxes those years. I thought there was a limit of three years for that. What is the law and how would one learn about this topic?

More info please! At least some timeline! Then you will receive a correct and on the point answer.

If they lied on their citizenship application, the citizenship can be revoked. On the N-400 there are questions about filing and owing taxes, so if the under the table work means the questions were answered falsely, that would be lying on the application, which could lead to revocation of citizenship.
I thought there was a limit of three years for that.
There is no such limitation to revoke citizenship.

There is a three-year statute of limitations for the IRS to pursue back taxes for minor underreported income (the unreported income was not more than 25% of gross income), and six years if the unreported portion was 25% or more of the gross income. However, the 3-year or 6-year limit only starts ticking after the tax return was filed, so if the returns were not filed for those years, the IRS effectively has forever to pursue the person.

Last edited by a moderator:
Jack and Sam,

This thread is about 7 years old. Are we short of new threads?:confused: I suspect if they were considering revoking his US citizenship, they prevailed as he never came to post updates...:rolleyes:

stay classy my friends...:D

Dagnabbit! I saw Sam's response was dated today but didn't check the date of the original. Sam, why on earth did you revive this 7-year-old thread?

Can we worry about that after we get the citizenship. I don't know how much sense it makes to talk about citizenship revocation when we are all hoping to finish our citizenship journey first.

Can we worry about that after we get the citizenship. I don't know how much sense it makes to talk about citizenship revocation when we are all hoping to finish our citizenship journey first.

There arer many bad things to worry about if you want to worry.
Statistics show 1 out of every 100 men celebrating his 40th birthday
will not live along enough to see his 50th birth day because of heart
disease. If you add other causes of death, the rate will increase.

Stop worrying about certain bad thinsg until they really happen
otherwise if you worry teh day and night about these bad thing
I think it is better to let them happen. If your citizenship get revoked,
then pack up and leave (many do that). Untile that happens,, enjoy
your life, which does not last for ever anyway

I know it is an old thread, but this comment worries me...

If someone got citizenship already, it is too late to fix the things which might cause this revocation (examples being lying under oath, fraudulent marriage).

If someone is under revocation proceedings, it means they already substantial evidence - and that despite naturalizing the person, they think it must be corrected.

This is better corrected before filing ... by waiting out 5 years for many things and building&demonstrating good moral character. If someone had a situation which they would rather not reveal, I would think they should review it before filing for citizenship, not after. So the question is appropriate ... just that it was an old sleeping thread.

If someone got citizenship already, it is too late to fix the things which might cause this revocation (examples being lying under oath, fraudulent marriage).

If it is too late then stop worrying about it. As long as you can live with that for enough many years, it won't make any difference because most likely
some natural disease will catch on sooner than USCIS.

If you worry too much, you can give it up, turn yourself in and go back to original country (I believe the citizenship of original country will be automatically restored if de-naturalization occur)

You need to worry about it before getting citizenship, so you can correct any issues before becoming a citizen. Once you get citizenship you can't go back in time to correct the lies and discrepancies on the application. Although I would expect that if the issue is only with taxation and no other offenses, that USCIS would not bother to pursue somebody for denaturalization if the taxes have already been paid (albeit paid late) before they found out about the discrepancy.

If it is too late then stop worrying about it. As long as you can live with that for enough many years, it won't make any difference because most likely
some natural disease will catch on sooner than USCIS.

If you worry too much, you can give it up, turn yourself in and go back to original country (I believe the citizenship of original country will be automatically restored if de-naturalization occur)

I think we are using complex english which might be an issue - "too late to fix after citizenship" is not exactly the same as, but is close to "ok to fix before filing", so that's the right time to discuss it.

I do not think any country restores citizenship like you mentioned.

Otherwise where should USA deport a de-natualized person to?

Right. Going from half-serious to a more serious tone - the only recollection I have on this topic is reading somewhere that denat is hard for US because they can not let a person be stateless, and what if the original country does not want a person? I have not done much research or thinking on this, so good to be educated. However, on thinking more ... will it ever be a straightforward process - if US denats someone, the original country might take back the person, but are they ever going to give him another passport? Or will they just move him to jail because if he did some crime in US, then the person is not good for them too. I suspect pretty serious trouble for the person.

Anyway, looks like we have to wait for some OP in this situation to find out..., but I just found something on this topic.

Right. Going from half-serious to a more serious tone - the only recollection I have on this topic is reading somewhere that denat is hard for US because they can not let a person be stateless, and what if the original country does not want a person? I have not done much research or thinking on this, so good to be educated. However, on thinking more ... will it ever be a straightforward process - if US denats someone, the original country might take back the person, but are they ever going to give him another passport? Or will they just move him to jail because if he did some crime in US, then the person is not good for them too. I suspect pretty serious trouble for the person.

Anyway, looks like we have to wait for some OP in this situation to find out..., but I just found something on this topic.

DOS website say those US born citizens who renounce their citizenship
cannot prevent themselves from being deported back to USA. So I believe the other way is also true. Two countries can have agreement on this
issue. As for whether one will be in jail in his own country if deported back to his home country. That really depends. The reason for deportation may not even be based on crminal charge so there is no reason to jail him whatsoever.
And if one commit a crime in one country then he is not subject to crminal alw of another country unless the victim happen to be citizen of that country too (that is an Indian citizen harm another Indian citizen in USA for example)

Sanjose,

You should never have to worry about being stateless if US govt decides to take away your citizenship. There is always Albania and Kazakhstan which will accept you in return for military aid, which also include US govt turning a blind eye on torture of these countries own citizens, especially Kazakhstan and Tajikstan, where boiling people has become a favorite method to get rid of political enemies. :eek:

On another note, why is this thread continuing? :confused:

Or will they just move him to jail because if he did some crime in US, then the person is not good for them too.

Some countries have agreement with each other that one citizen setenced in another country can go back to his own country to continue to serve the unserved time.

People do become stateless in some cases and the US tries to make arrangements with other countries to accept them. There was a famous case a few years ago where this is exactly what happened:

http://www.haitiwebs.com/archive/index.php/t-40895.html

Hi Bob,
I may have not understood the reason why his citizenship was revoked. From reading the post, it seems like his citizenship was revoked because he was convicted of selling crack after he became a citizen. I was not aware that after a person becomes a US citizen, breaking certain laws can result in their citizenship being revoked.
Am I reading the post correctly?
Thanks!

Hi Bob,
I may have not understood the reason why his citizenship was revoked. From reading the post, it seems like his citizenship was revoked because he was convicted of selling crack after he became a citizen. I was not aware that after a person becomes a US citizen, breaking certain laws can result in their citizenship being revoked.
Am I reading the post correctly?
Thanks!

G,

Not to worry, the man in the story Bob posted is happily living in the US. He was released from detention center in Miam in 2006, went back to his family. The idea is if you are denaturalized, pray that no country accepts you...especially if you go on bathing strike, grow long beard and refuse to brush your teeth...lol!!!

http://www.haitiwebs.com/showthread.php?t=41509

I know a case where the guy (from bay area, owned lot of Indian restaurants and apt complexes) originally from India made boat loads of money and got caught up in human trafficking and underage prostitution. He finally cut a deal with US Govt (probably to protect his sons and other family members .... madoff like) where he served some years of jail time here then stripped off his citizenship by judge and sent to India. I guess India accepted him ... may be because he has boat loads of money ?? don't know why they accepted a child predator :(