Citizenship Interview outside the USA

DJdeMarco

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

We applied for My wife's Citizenship application in Jan 08. Her finger prints etc are already done (a prior finger print and FBI check was still valid). Now, I have an oportunity to work abroad for up to 2 years. Not only that, it just happens to be the country where my wife is from (UK).

My question is, is it possible to do change of address etc for N400 to an address in a different country and do the interview/oath in a US embassy? If not, what are my options? Opportunity is really good and I don't want to lose it if it is at all possible. I we have to, she can come back for the interview.

Our USCIS office is Reno branch. We have been unable to get any status updates. We checked for status online, but using the number we have, it does not recognize the number.

Thank you.

You must be in US for interview, there's no way around that. Also, you must meet continuous residency requirement up until oath.
Is the position with a US company? If so, you may be able to file n-470 to keep continuous residency while abroad.

You must be in US for interview, there's no way around that. Also, you must meet continuous residency requirement up until oath.
Is the position with a US company? If so, you may be able to file n-470 to keep continuous residency while abroad.

Thank you Bob. It is with a US company but the company in the UK is wholy owned sub-sidery so even though I am transfering, in papers I will be shown as termination here in the US and a new contract in the UK as a UK resident.

what is the longest she can be outside the country without breaking her continous residency? Up until now, we have only been out for 1-3 weeks as a time once a year for vacation etc.

Thanks.

I doubt you can show intent to reside in the US if you sign a regular employment contract with a company abroad. IO may not care, depending where you case stands, but why would USCIS grant you citizenship when you live and work in your home country for - well - potentially a very long time?

It looks like the naturalization in question is for the wife, not for the poster. However, the whole case is iffy if the couple decides to move long term to the UK. Perhaps if they keep an address here and come for the interview they might get away with it, who knows. Anyway, this kind of thing always complicates naturalization. If it's been 5 months and you are lucky that you are with a local district office that is fast you might get naturalization done before continuous residence becomes an issue.

Thanks Huracan. Yes it is for my wife, I am a US citizen. We are also keeping our two homes here in Reno and putting them on Rent so it is not that we are abandoning this area. Hopefully we will have something soon, keeping our fingers crossed.

It looks like the naturalization in question is for the wife, not for the poster. However, the whole case is iffy if the couple decides to move long term to the UK. Perhaps if they keep an address here and come for the interview they might get away with it, who knows. Anyway, this kind of thing always complicates naturalization. If it's been 5 months and you are lucky that you are with a local district office that is fast you might get naturalization done before continuous residence becomes an issue.

Do you know the processing times for your DO? If they're short enough, maybe your wife can stay behind until the process is complete. Would that be a possibility? Can you tear yourself away from your family for a few months, or would that be hard?

Two ways to solve this problem:
i. Your wife remains in the US until her natz is complete. She may be able to go to the UK for short visits, but if her N-400 case drags on too long and she travels often, it'll be really obvious she is actually residing abroad.

ii. Expedited naturalization for spouse of a US citizen posted abroad, as defined in 8.CFR.319.2. The main requirement is that you (the USC) are being posted overseas for a period of at least 1 year. You might want to search this forum for for "319(b)" or "expedited citizenship" to see prior discussions on this topic.

Two ways to solve this problem:
i. Your wife remains in the US until her natz is complete. She may be able to go to the UK for short visits, but if her N-400 case drags on too long and she travels often, it'll be really obvious she is actually residing abroad.

ii. Expedited naturalization for spouse of a US citizen posted abroad, as defined in 8.CFR.319.2. The main requirement is that you (the USC) are being posted overseas for a period of at least 1 year. You might want to search this forum for for "319(b)" or "expedited citizenship" to see prior discussions on this topic.

Expedited citizenship... of course! Now, why didn't I think of that???

Thanks guys. I have been looking into the Expedited citizenship stuff (319(b)) and I am a bit confused. Do I need to withdraw my original N400 and apply for a new one with Expedited citizenship request? I also saw something about N-470. Should I file that? Would that help in my situation?

My head is exploding with all this information...

Thanks guys. I have been looking into the Expedited citizenship stuff (319(b)) and I am a bit confused. Do I need to withdraw my original N400 and apply for a new one with Expedited citizenship request? I also saw something about N-470. Should I file that? Would that help in my situation?
Without the N-470 or expedited citizenship, your wife's naturalization has a high chance of being denied if she goes to the UK with you before completing the naturalization process.

Thanks guys. I have been looking into the Expedited citizenship stuff (319(b)) and I am a bit confused. Do I need to withdraw my original N400 and apply for a new one with Expedited citizenship request?

I can't give you a definitive answer there. Expedited citizenship happens relatively infrequently (compared to 3yr/5yr cases), so we don't see that much discussion of the details.

Theoretically I don't see a problem with requesting USCIS to change the basis of the application, but practically, there have been issues with it in the past. (e.g. an application originally based on 3yr marriage to USC was severely delayed beyond the 5yr mark. During that time the applicant got divorced, and was subsequently denied natz on those grounds, despite already being eligible for standard 5yr processing. Its obviously different from your situation, but hopefully you see the point I'm making.)

I also saw something about N-470. Should I file that? Would that help in my situation?

My head is exploding with all this information...

I don't think an N-470 is applicable in your situation, because you are already a US citizen. If you were an LPR, your wife could derive benefit under an N-470 in your name. As it is, you don't qualify for an N-470, and she can't apply for her own one unless she works for a US owned corporation that is posting her abroad.

Depending which DO you fall under, your wife may well be a fair way along with her application. If I were her, I'd probably try to wait things out for a few more months, and get the naturalization wrapped up before joining you in the UK.

Expedited Citizenship

I intended to apply for my Citizenship via expedited Citizenship when I was stationed in Germany with my US Soldier Spouse. I got all the paperwork etc from the Consulate in Frankfurt and then they told me I still need to travel ( at my own expense ) to the States for interview and oath. Due to my husband's frequent deployments I opted out at the time and never sent in the paperwork and instead waited to apply for Citizenship once we came back and fulfilled 18 months actual physical presence in the US. If I was your wife I would not withdraw, instead keep the current one going and let her stay here until she is done with the process.

DjDeMarco,

Since your wife's fingerprints were still valid, did you have to pay for them? Did USCIS send you a letter saying that the fingerprints wete still valid? A refund check perhaps???;-)
Were they still valid from the removal of conditions application?

Thanks