Citizenship Interview On Monday

SweetPrincess

Registered Users (C)
Hi,

I have a citizenship interview on Monday in Nebraska...I have a couple of questions...I have not left the country since 2000 but I did have some trips outside of the US for like 8 to 7 months each...Going through my passport I got really confused with the stamps and since its been so long I did my best and put some dates down on my N400..I figured since I didnt want to put in the wrong dates the IO can ask me and I can explain to him/her..Would this be a problem?..I have been unemployed since 2003 do I need to take tax returns with me? Pls help!!

Thanks

PS..I applied for citizenship in Nov and got my FP done, got my IL for April 27th..So the whole process is going real fast!!

...I have not left the country since 2000 but I did have some trips outside of the US for like 8 to 7 months each...

You need to review Chapter 4 of A Guide to Naturalization. There is a table on Pages 18 and 19 that shows you the basic compliance requirements for anyone applying for naturalization on the basis of a 5-year employment LPR or 3-year marriage LPR.

Depending on when your trips of 7 to 8 months occurred, you may not be able to pass the required "Continuous Residence" test, and you may potentially have trouble meeting the 30-month (5-year LPR) or 18-month (3-year LPR) "Physical Presence" test.

Any absence from the US of more than 6 months after you have your green card is generally considered a break in "continuous residence". It is my understanding that you can apply for naturalization 4 years and 1 day after you return, following a break in "continuous residence".

Hi,

I have not left the country since 2000 but I did have some trips outside of the US for like 8 to 7 months each...

If you have not left the country since 2000, then you are fine. You have not broken any continuous residency requirements

If the OP (SweetPrincess) left the country after becoming an LPR for multiple periods of 7 to 8 months each, it is definitely possible to have broken "continuous residence".

The important thing is to understand exactly what the OP means with the statement, "I have not left the country since 2000 but I did have some trips outside of the US for like 8 to 7 months each...".

If the OP has literally not left the US since 2000, then Dedo is right, there is no continuous residency problem.

Sorry if I didnt explain right...The trips were before 2000...I have not travelled after that..ie I have been living in the US for 9 yrs now without travelling..So I should be good right?...My question is would they ask me to show proof for the time I was out of the country back then?...I unfortunately dont have anything to show since I was living with my parents and going to school

You haven't left since 2000 and your long trips were before then..you're fine as you didn't break continuous residence during statutory period.

Sorry if I didnt explain right...The trips were before 2000...I have not travelled after that..ie I have been living in the US for 9 yrs now without travelling..So I should be good right?...My question is would they ask me to show proof for the time I was out of the country back then?...I unfortunately dont have anything to show since I was living with my parents and going to school

Thanks for the clarification. Dedo and Bobsmyth are correct, you don't appear to have any continuous residency or physical presence issues. You should be fine.

Good luck with your interview! Hopefully you get a same-day oath too. :)

Thanx guys...You somewhat calmed my nerves down a lil bit...Now I just gotta get through it and hope everything goes well...I dont know if Nebraska has same day oath since my husband said that they usually have the ceremony on base in June so I might have to wait till then!!...Hope all goes well!!

It is pity that many people worry about small things. Why should you be nervous? Have courage and no not fear for a small thing like citizenship.

Have courage and no not fear for a small thing like citizenship.
-------------------------------------------------------------
Is it a "small" thing?? Well it was a big thing for me:)
and like someone mentioned above it is good to have some fear/nervousness as it keeps you from being over-confident..

Here's my update,

My interview was scheduled for 10:30 am and I left at about 9:30 only to find a road construction on my way to so I started panicking..Luckily I got there just at 10 and went through the security. Dropped my letter in the tray and sat down and waited for my name to be called...Not even 5 mins and I was called in...The officer was a nice and polite lady who showed into the room...She asked me to raise my right hand and swore me in. She asked me to lay out my GC,PP,and Drivers license and began going through my application. Since my application was pretty much straightforward it was a breeze. She proceeded to ask me the civic questions which I answered the first 6 right and she stopped there. She then said that I passed and made me sign my pictures and gave me the N-652 and told me I should expect a letter in the mail within 30-45 days and that it would be a big event so the ceremony would be sometime in June/July. I was really amazed at how fast the process went and she was really really nice. My husband was shocked when I walked out cuz all in all it prolly took 15 mins!!...I am so excited and planning on where to go to party tonite...Only wish the weather was better instead of raining and gloomy!!

Here's my update,

My interview was scheduled for 10:30 am and I left at about 9:30 only to find a road construction on my way to so I started panicking..Luckily I got there just at 10 and went through the security. Dropped my letter in the tray and sat down and waited for my name to be called...Not even 5 mins and I was called in...The officer was a nice and polite lady who showed into the room...She asked me to raise my right hand and swore me in. She asked me to lay out my GC,PP,and Drivers license and began going through my application. Since my application was pretty much straightforward it was a breeze. She proceeded to ask me the civic questions which I answered the first 6 right and she stopped there. She then said that I passed and made me sign my pictures and gave me the N-652 and told me I should expect a letter in the mail within 30-45 days and that it would be a big event so the ceremony would be sometime in June/July. I was really amazed at how fast the process went and she was really really nice. My husband was shocked when I walked out cuz all in all it prolly took 15 mins!!...I am so excited and planning on where to go to party tonite...Only wish the weather was better instead of raining and gloomy!!

Well A BIG CONGRATS to you,,, it feels so nice to pass the interview.

Now the wait for your Oath letter begins.......

Come Onnnnn Oath letters :cool:

Congratulations SweetPrincess!

Hopefully your wait for the oath letter won't be long.

If you have to take the oath at Offutt AFB, maybe you'll even get an Air Force flyover if it is on July 4th. :)

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's my update,

Could you please update N-652 thread with your details on N-652 like what was checked on it etc.

Lucky Guy: I dont thing this is a "small thing"..Well atleast for me it is a huge deal...And I agree with the OP that it is good to be somewhat nervous so you dont get over confident cuz that would be a let down...Anywho, thanx to everyone for the congratulations!!