Citizenship interview before eligibility date

white77

Registered Users (C)
Hi all,

I've just got "Request for Applicant to Appear for Naturalization Initial Interview" in the mail. Interview is scheduled for the end of May and a few days before my eligibility date (which is 5 years from "resident since" date on my GC). From what I know, they can't approve me before eligibility date, what should I do?

- Should I call USCIS and ask them to re-schedule that interview?
- It says "Initial Interview", does it mean it will be another interview after that?

Thanks!

It's always a good idea to attend an interview if you have a letter. You won't be a citizen until you take the oath anyhow. Unless you are in one of the very few districts that conducts oaths the same day as the interview, I don't think there will be a problem. Attend the interview.

It's always a good idea to attend an interview if you have a letter. You won't be a citizen until you take the oath anyhow. Unless you are in one of the very few districts that conducts oaths the same day as the interview, I don't think there will be a problem. Attend the interview.

The question is: would it be better if I re-schedule it? I have read on this forum that people who got their interview before eligibility date either don't get interviewed at all when they come or got second "final" interview after all. And it delays the whole process significantly. Has anyone here got his/her citizenship by passing single interview before eligibility date?

There have been some rare cases where ppl that have interview before the 5 year date are not interviewed, but that is not always the case. In my opinion you should attend the interview, most likely the IO won't even notice. If you are in a "same day oath" district you should bring this fact into the IOs attention so they can schedule your oath for a later day. Just my 2 cents.

There have been some rare cases where ppl that have interview before the 5 year date are not interviewed, but that is not always the case. In my opinion you should attend the interview, most likely the IO won't even notice. If you are in a "same day oath" district you should bring this fact into the IOs attention so they can schedule your oath for a later day. Just my 2 cents.

No, I'm not in the "same day oath" district. Can someone give an answer: can they approve N-400 if single interview was done before eligibility date?

Yes... they can. There have been severeal other members in this forum that have their cases approved before the 5 year eligibility date.

Yes... they can. There have been severeal other members in this forum that have their cases approved before the 5 year eligibility date.

Sounds good, thanks. Another question: does it always says "Initial Interview" on IL? The "Initial" word looks confusing, it assumes that it will be another interview. What I heard is that USCIS can have separate interview just for English and Civics before the main interview, can it be the case?

Sounds good, thanks. Another question: does it always says "Initial Interview" on IL? The "Initial" word looks confusing, it assumes that it will be another interview. What I heard is that USCIS can have separate interview just for English and Civics before the main interview, can it be the case?

Initial interview is the main interview, secondary interview is the oath.

Mailing application before 90 days

I want to confirm that I can mail my N-400 90 days prior to completing 5 year Permanent residency?

Thank You

Usually, the Service Center will reschedule, if they see an issue with this. Mine got rescheduled from March 23rd (3 days prior to 5 yr GC anniv) to April 21st. I'd say attend your interview, if they don't reschedule it themselves, for all you know, it would just go smoothly and you will get your oath AFTER the 5 year GC date.

"Initial Interview" is boilerplate on the letters. But there is a second interview, in a manner of speaking. On the oath letter, there are a few questions asking if anything has changed since the N400 interview. Eg. arrested, married, divorced, etc. Someone from USCIS will look at your answers and ask if everything is correct.

Since you're at the end of your immigration travails, it's a little late to tell you that unless it's truly an emergency, DON'T try to reschedule a USCIS interview. It's not unknown for USCIS to drop the ball in those circumstances and the immigrant winds up with his case closed or denied. It becomes a huge mess to clean up.

Hi all,

I've just got "Request for Applicant to Appear for Naturalization Initial Interview" in the mail. Interview is scheduled for the end of May and a few days before my eligibility date (which is 5 years from "resident since" date on my GC). From what I know, they can't approve me before eligibility date, what should I do?

- Should I call USCIS and ask them to re-schedule that interview?
- It says "Initial Interview", does it mean it will be another interview after that?

Thanks!

My application got denied because I was 3 days short of the 5 year requirement on the day I had my first interview and was asked to reapply. I don't know how common my situation is but it's something you should take into consideration.

Last edited by a moderator:
They schedualed mine a week before my anniversery (3 year PR for marriage based). I got the interview no problem and didn't have any issues. The IO just said he can't grant me an official congratulations since it's a week too early. He also said if they were doing same-day Oaths I wouldn't qualify for it.

He just said the letter will come in the mail in a few weeks which it did and that was that.

So no, it's not uncommon to be granted the interview before your actual PR date...

It seems that it's up to the discretion of the IO to approve or deny an applicant at interview if they are interviewed before the 5 year anniversary date. One of those gray area USCIS policies that is not followed consistently. Posters have reported being denied, having interview rescheduled, or being approved and having oath after 5 year anniversary.

Why they denied, because of their own mistake to schedule you for interview before your 5 yr, they can deny if someone file before 90 day period.
They will reschedule interview if they find out before they start interview, all depends on IO and DO, how they handle different situations.

My application got denied because I was 3 days short of the 5 year requirement on the day I had my first interview and was asked to reapply. I don't know how common my situation is but it's something you should take into consideration.

Yes, I heard that happens, that's what worries me. I thought they check eligibility date before scheduling an interview. Also, I wouldn't want to wait another month if they reschedule it themselves. My DO is San Francisco if that's of any help.

Instead of guessing how the IO will proceed, ask them at interview if there is any issue with you being interviewed early. If the IO refuses to tell you, demand to speak to a supervisor. USCIS' inconsistent policies should be the cause of your potential denial.

Last edited by a moderator:
My interview is exactly one day after my 5-year PR anniversary. I don't think you should worry or cancel the interview, just go and ask the IO if that is a problem. In addition, even if you have your initial interview before your eligibility starts, you might have your oath ceremony after so that shouldn't be a problem.