Citizenship Interview and upcoming travel

amazing1672

Registered Users (C)
I filed for my citizenship in October first week and have already received my fingerprinting appointment. I am traveling to India from Dec 15th to Jan 8th. I am now concerned that I may actually get an interview date which may fall during my absence from the US. I am now considering a few options - If I don't go for my fingerprinting on Nov 4th and delay that by another two weeks or so, will that mean that this will introduce a delay in scheduling my interview date and so I will be okay from the perspective of the interview then getting scheduled only when I am back? Or, delaying the fingerprinting does not introduce any delay in the process?

Also, is it okay not to show up for the fingerprinting and just show up a couple of weeks later and try and get the fingerprinting done then (the USCIS letter says, if I cannot keep the date, I can just show up on any following Wednesday at the same time as the time of the original appointment).

What do you guys think of the above?

Also, has anyone ever tried calling up USCIS and requesting an interview date that does not fall during your absence from the US prior to getting an interview date? Do you think they will pay attention to such a request. What is the normal number of days it takes after the fingerprinting is done and an interview letter is sent to you?

Another option is for me to just complete the fingerprinting on the date they have given me and hope that I am here when they send the interview letter and then take a call on what should be my plan after getting the interview date. It may very well be that due to Christmas and new years there may be delays in the process and I may just be lucky not to get an interview date during my absence.

Any inputs on the above will be appreciated.

Practical advice, may be, do you FP, right before you leave....and this mimimizes the likelihood of geting interview letter before your return. Another option, do your FP after your return.

In your situation, I would go to the fingerprint appointment as scheduled, and wait for your oath letter. If the oath interview is scheduled during your travel period, simply write to the address given and request your oath be rescheduled. If you have not received your letter before you leave, if possible, have someone checking your mail while you are away.
Try not to "overthink" this - just take each step as it occurs.

In your situation, I would go to the fingerprint appointment as scheduled, and wait for your oath letter. If the oath interview is scheduled during your travel period, simply write to the address given and request your oath be rescheduled. If you have not received your letter before you leave, if possible, have someone checking your mail while you are away.
Try not to "overthink" this - just take each step as it occurs.

No, re-scheduling interview is harder than re-scheduling FP. FP letter for the OP anyway says to come any Wednesday after the FP date. Interview will be harder to shift.

Although un-related to naturalization and dealing with adjustment of status, see the Q#4 in this link.

No, re-scheduling interview is harder than re-scheduling FP. FP letter for the OP anyway says to come any Wednesday after the FP date. Interview will be harder to shift.

Although un-related to naturalization and dealing with adjustment of status, see the Q#4 in this link.

Agreed! Personal experience, I got my FP rescheduled by going to the FP office. I just told them that I can not make it on that date because I was traveling for two weeks, so they changed my date to an earlier time. I think you can do the samething and have them push the date out and get a signature of the person that agrees to the new date for you. Getting the Interview rescheduled is not in my opinoin a good idea. Good Luck!

On the same note, having your FP earlier does not mean you will get the interview letter early.

No, re-scheduling interview is harder than re-scheduling FP..............

Whilst I agree re-scheduling interview is harder than fingerprints, it is still not difficult. All it requires is a brief written letter. been there - done that :)

Thanks for the responses guys. One thing that I am trying to figure out is if delaying the FP actually delays the interview process. Also, if I don't go for FP on the date in the FP notice, but go a couple of weeks later (letter states I can go on any Wednesday till 1/22/10), do I need to inform USCIS that I will not be showing up on the appointment date? Any input on this will be appreciated.

btw,for the interview,do the husband and wife have to show up for the interview or just the person who is applying for citizenship-marriage based?

Thanks for the responses guys. One thing that I am trying to figure out is if delaying the FP actually delays the interview process. Also, if I don't go for FP on the date in the FP notice, but go a couple of weeks later (letter states I can go on any Wednesday till 1/22/10), do I need to inform USCIS that I will not be showing up on the appointment date? Any input on this will be appreciated.
The time between FP and IL will be the same, so if you do FP later, then you should expect IL 2 weeks later.

btw,for the interview,do the husband and wife have to show up for the interview or just the person who is applying for citizenship-marriage based?

Only the applicant, although some IOs like to interview spouse as well if she/he's available.

The time between FP and IL will be the same, so if you do FP later, then you should expect IL 2 weeks later.

Ok, so the current plan looks as follows:
1. I will not show up for my FP on Nov 4th - I am assuming I do not need to inform USCIS about this as according to the FP letter, I can show up on any Wednesday prior to 1/22/10
2. I will go for my FP on Dec 9th (Wednesday) - a few days before my travel
3. The above will mean that I should get the interview letter only 2-3 weeks after the FP and if my calculations are correct, the interview will not be scheduled till I am back (I arrive back on Jan 8th which is a Friday)
4. I will have a friend monitor my mailbox to see if I receive any letter from the USCIS related to the interview

Does this sound like a good plan?

1. I will not show up for my FP on Nov 4th - I am assuming I do not need to inform USCIS about this as according to the FP letter, I can show up on any Wednesday prior to 1/22/10
3. The above will mean that I should get the interview letter only 2-3 weeks after the FP and if my calculations are correct, the interview will not be scheduled till I am back (I arrive back on Jan 8th which is a Friday)
4. I will have a friend monitor my mailbox to see if I receive any letter from the USCIS related to the interview

Another good thing is that you are traveling during the holiday season, which will mean the CIS office is closed for 2-4 days. Also, assuming that the attendance is low (planned vacations), you buy yourself a week with your vacation schedule. This does not mean you should assume this extra week and pull back your FP by one week though.

Yes, as long as the FP says you can do a walk in up until 1/22/10.

I approve this plan, go and enjoy some good food and family time in India. While there, don't commit any crimes which might impact on your naturalization process...:rolleyes: However, make sure you bring me some tandoori chicken spices, naan bread with a secret recipe for the mangolassi. If you can't, then I don't think your plan is good at all and I oppose it....:eek:

The letter does not say it in these exact words - it says, if you are unable to appear for the fingerprinting on Nov 4th, you could go on any Wednesday at the same time and complete the FP provided this is done before 1/22/10. I am assuming this means a "walk in" is allowed.

I approve this plan, go and enjoy some good food and family time in India. While there, don't commit any crimes which might impact on your naturalization process...:rolleyes: However, make sure you bring me some tandoori chicken spices, naan bread with a secret recipe for the mangolassi. If you can't, then I don't think your plan is good at all and I oppose it....:eek:

Thank you for the kind approval. I can definitely bring u spices, naan etc. but I already have a mango lassi recipe that I can share with u :)

The letter does not say it in these exact words - it says, if you are unable to appear for the fingerprinting on Nov 4th, you could go on any Wednesday at the same time and complete the FP provided this is done before 1/22/10. I am assuming this means a "walk in" is allowed.

Yes, as long as you go before 1//22/10 you should be fine.