Citizenship In Question.... Maybe

WalkingFish

Okay I am pretty sure I am a U.S. Citizen but after getting into a conversation with someone who thinks they're a know it all i have a tiny bit of question in my mind. Here are the facts.

-Born in March 1989, In Turkey to a U.S. Citizen Mother (Born in NYC)
-Dont know father, left mother after i was born, not US Citizen
-Mother was 16y9mo old when she had me, of that time 16y8mo was lived in America (she was staying with family in turkey during last month of pregnancy with me)
According to that I am a US Citizen by Through birth abroad to one United States citizen, my mom met the requirements by living just over 2 years in the US after the age of 14, just squeezed that in lol

Here is where it gets tricky my family never reported my birth to the US embassy/consul in turkey (dooh, FOOLS! lol) so I entered the US with a perm. resident green card at about 1 years old and now live in the us for the past 18 consecutive years (19 y/o). When trying to go through the steps of naturalization a few years back because my family did not know of my inherent claim to U.S. citizenship we were turned away by the ins because i was already a us citizen. So I got a US passport instead. I have (1 year ago) renounced my turkish citizenship because I am now a contracted cadet in the US army and US DoD regulations state officers in the US military must give up their dual nationality in order to commission, so i did. I am also a registered voter and plan to vote in this upcoming election.

I figure if i were not a US citizen the Department of Defense would have picked up on it somewhere and not allowed me to contract in the us army as a cadet, I would not have been registered to vote when i sent in my online application, and i would not have gotten a US passport for the Dept of state.

Some wise guy tells me because i entered the us under a green card and i was not registered with the consulate that i had forfeited my us citizenship due to my moms mistakes. My Social security card had the INS thing on it but i went to the SSA and showed them my passport and had the INS restriction on the card removed. I just today sent in my application for a new passport since my old one expired and i got it before i was 16.

okay I Am Pretty Sure I Am A U.s. Citizen But After Getting Into A Conversation With Someone Who Thinks They're A Know It All I Have A Tiny Bit Of Question In My Mind. Here Are The Facts.

-born In March 1989, In Turkey To A U.s. Citizen Mother (born In Nyc)
-dont Know Father, Left Mother After I Was Born, Not Us Citizen
-mother Was 16y9mo Old When She Had Me, Of That Time 16y8mo Was Lived In America (she Was Staying With Family In Turkey During Last Month Of Pregnancy With Me)
According To That I Am A Us Citizen By Through Birth Abroad To One United States Citizen, My Mom Met The Requirements By Living Just Over 2 Years In The Us After The Age Of 14, Just Squeezed That In Lol

Here Is Where It Gets Tricky My Family Never Reported My Birth To The Us Embassy/consul In Turkey (dooh, Fools! Lol) So I Entered The Us With A Perm. Resident Green Card At About 1 Years Old And Now Live In The Us For The Past 18 Consecutive Years (19 Y/o). When Trying To Go Through The Steps Of Naturalization A Few Years Back Because My Family Did Not Know Of My Inherent Claim To U.s. Citizenship We Were Turned Away By The Ins Because I Was Already A Us Citizen. So I Got A Us Passport Instead. I Have (1 Year Ago) Renounced My Turkish Citizenship Because I Am Now A Contracted Cadet In The Us Army And Us Dod Regulations State Officers In The Us Military Must Give Up Their Dual Nationality In Order To Commission, So I Did. I Am Also A Registered Voter And Plan To Vote In This Upcoming Election.

I Figure If I Were Not A Us Citizen The Department Of Defense Would Have Picked Up On It Somewhere And Not Allowed Me To Contract In The Us Army As A Cadet, I Would Not Have Been Registered To Vote When I Sent In My Online Application, And I Would Not Have Gotten A Us Passport For The Dept Of State.

Some Wise Guy Tells Me Because I Entered The Us Under A Green Card And I Was Not Registered With The Consulate That I Had Forfeited My Us Citizenship Due To My Moms Mistakes. My Social Security Card Had The Ins Thing On It But I Went To The Ssa And Showed Them My Passport And Had The Ins Restriction On The Card Removed. I Just Today Sent In My Application For A New Passport Since My Old One Expired And I Got It Before I Was 16.

Dude, Go Get Some Coffee Or Something. U Are A Us Citizen. Wat Are U Smoking Listening Some Ignorant Person Off The Streets Of Watever City U Live In. How Many Folks Do You See Walking Around With Us Passport If They Are Not Us Citizens? The Answer Is Zero.
You Are A Us Citizen At Birth If You Were Born Here Unless Ur Parents Are Diplomats Which Your Mother Was Not I Guess.

Okay I am pretty sure I am a U.S. Citizen but after getting into a conversation with someone who thinks they're a know it all i have a tiny bit of question in my mind. Here are the facts.

-Born in March 1989, In Turkey to a U.S. Citizen Mother (Born in NYC)
-Dont know father, left mother after i was born, not US Citizen
-Mother was 16y9mo old when she had me, of that time 16y8mo was lived in America (she was staying with family in turkey during last month of pregnancy with me)
According to that I am a US Citizen by Through birth abroad to one United States citizen, my mom met the requirements by living just over 2 years in the US after the age of 14, just squeezed that in lol

Here is where it gets tricky my family never reported my birth to the US embassy/consul in turkey (dooh, FOOLS! lol) so I entered the US with a perm. resident green card at about 1 years old and now live in the us for the past 18 consecutive years (19 y/o). When trying to go through the steps of naturalization a few years back because my family did not know of my inherent claim to U.S. citizenship we were turned away by the ins because i was already a us citizen. So I got a US passport instead. I have (1 year ago) renounced my turkish citizenship because I am now a contracted cadet in the US army and US DoD regulations state officers in the US military must give up their dual nationality in order to commission, so i did. I am also a registered voter and plan to vote in this upcoming election.

I figure if i were not a US citizen the Department of Defense would have picked up on it somewhere and not allowed me to contract in the us army as a cadet, I would not have been registered to vote when i sent in my online application, and i would not have gotten a US passport for the Dept of state.

Some wise guy tells me because i entered the us under a green card and i was not registered with the consulate that i had forfeited my us citizenship due to my moms mistakes. My Social security card had the INS thing on it but i went to the SSA and showed them my passport and had the INS restriction on the card removed. I just today sent in my application for a new passport since my old one expired and i got it before i was 16.

U need to see shrink for sure

Lol this is a very funny story. A guy with a US passport thinking he may not be a US citizen.

This is hillarious!!! I can not laugt out loud of my a**. Good night every one!! Hey 'WalkingFish'...stop Jay walking and get back in water now. You will be better off there.

The fact that you had a green card was probably because you were not born on U.S. soil - hence no U.S. birth certificate.

But when the naturalization process started, something would have come up about your mother's citizenship. That would have triggered the reason you were granted U.S. citizenship over time. In other words, your mother has a U.S. birth certificate, and you have a Turkish on, but your Turkish one (or birth registration) would have her name on it, which in turn can be related back to her Birth Certificate. It's a trickle down effect.

Where you born in a leap year? In that case you're only a US citizen every four years. The rest of the time you're Turkish. :D :D :D

Sounds to me the only mistake was INS granting you a GC all those years ago. They should have caught the mistake then, but in the end it doesn't really matter because you already have your US passport.

I am curious if you have any proof of relationship to your mother? i.e. a foreign birth certificate. If so, you only need that and a copy of your mother's birth certificate or passport to prove your own citizenship.

I figure if i were not a US citizen the Department of Defense would have picked up on it somewhere and not allowed me to contract in the us army as a cadet, I would not have been registered to vote when i sent in my online application,
Incorrect, because the US military will enlist permanent residents, and many states don't verify citizenship when people register to vote.
and i would not have gotten a US passport for the Dept of state.
That is correct. Unless they made a big mistake, they don't issue passports before properly verifying your US citizenship.

States don't verify citizenship before voting? So, all these elections could be skewed? Haha, that whole recount was because of non-immigrants!!!!!!!!!!!